Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got some work done. Only 1 thing remains, I gotta cut the carpet for the trunk.

But what do you think???

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, made it myself. Took me the better part of 2 months. But that is working on it off and on.

And ya, the bar is painted, looks nice don't it :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by Gundam02@Oct 31 2004, 10:10 AM
Ya, made it myself. Took me the better part of 2 months. But that is working on it off and on.

And ya, the bar is painted, looks nice don't it :)

Yeah, the sub box looks great. I need to start playing with FG.

And yeah, the strut looks awesome! Been thinking about doing it on mine as well. However, I was wondering about the little squares and the Z, were they just taped off?

Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by DaTaSPiKe@Oct 31 2004, 11:58 AM
Yeah, the sub box looks great.  I need to start playing with FG.

And yeah, the strut looks awesome!  Been thinking about doing it on mine as well.  However, I was wondering about the little squares and the Z, were they just taped off?

Chris

Ya, I taped the little squares off and then clear coated over the entire part, blue and all. It turned out almost perfect. I have 2 small specs on the top near the Z, but you can only notice them if I point them out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by suse@Oct 31 2004, 11:59 AM
Looking really good Gundam02!! So are u gonna mass produce these for us!! LOL J/K

HA HA.....

Not a chance!!!! This thing took way too long to build. Maybe toykilla will do it, he's been making alot of stuff out of fiberglass lately :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Looking good, bro! I like the matching strut bar cover. It's hard to do any match painting when you have PPW...

And the enclosures look great, too. Keep the spare out.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Man those accents on the speakers are **** close to daytona blue. That's

:pimp:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by moyensing@Nov 3 2004, 06:08 PM
gundam2, What kind of paint did you use on the struct bar and the enclosure to get that glossy look.

The paints are PPG DBC line paints. On the strut bar it is color code B17 (perfect match DB) on the speaker box it is KH3 (perfect match SB) in the base coat. After the base coat it gets clear coat. The clear coat is where it gets the shine. I actually was trying for a matte gloss on the speaker box to more closely match the rest of the trunk but I guess I didn't add near enough flat base to the clear to get it to shine less. The material sheet says 25% flat base to clear will result in egg shell gloss....... LIES IT'S ALL LIES!!!!!! Anyway, I think the gloss turned out pretty good so I am going to leave it alone for now.

Man those accents on the speakers are **** close to daytona blue. That's

:pimp:
Actually the trim ring (those accents) is exactly Daytona Blue. And I must say it looks so much nicer in person, the picture doesn't do that trim ring justice. And it looks so nice I am at odds with myself about putting the grill cover on the speaker to protect it because the cover hides the trim ring :(

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
:cheers: :yourock: :clap:

well done

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I really like the way that looks. Is that a 10" or 12" sub? How's the sound? Get good reflection with it sitting at that kinda wierd angle?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Lo Fi Ched@Nov 4 2004, 01:18 PM
I really like the way that looks.  Is that a 10" or 12" sub?  How's the sound?  Get good reflection with it sitting at that kinda wierd angle?

It's a 10w6v2 from JL. I've got it powered by an e1400D at 2 Ohms and it sounds absolutly glorious. The box itself helps alot with the sound, the box is about 3/4" thick fiberglass over most of the surface and with the complex shape that it is in there are very few large flat surfaces that can flex.

As far as the reflection, I put the angle in it because I thought firing into the open trunk might make the sound a little smoother. I can only compare it to the temp box I had in there at first. I had the speaker in a cube box just sitting on the carpet right behind the strut firing up toward the glass and the sound was noticably weaker. It wasn't as tight. But that could be due to a few things. 1, the speaker was really new while in the cube. 2, the box was a particle board cheapy box for just a temp placement. 3, the cube was a .75 cuft box were this one is a .95 cuft box. 4, it wasn't secured to the car so the box itself probably resonated.

Hope this gives you the info you were asking for.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Gundam - Looks awesome bro!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts