Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta question for all you audiophiles out there. I have a Kenwood DDX-7015 head unit and a Kenwood 4-channel amp powering two sets of separates up front, a set of rears and a 10" JL sub. The problem I have is when the stereo has been on for a while (approx. 30 minutes or so) every so often it sounds to me like the sub will cut out, then come back on, then cut out again. This happens very often and it's driving me nuts! So here's my question(s):

1. Is the amp overpowering the sub?

2. Is it a heat issue with the amp?

3. Do I need to reconnect the sub in a different setup?

4. So exactly what is the price of tea in China?

Any help would be be greatly appreciated of course! Thanks!

Tim

:banghead:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Originally posted by Flanker@Jun 27 2005, 08:44 PM
Gotta question for all you audiophiles out there.  I have a Kenwood DDX-7015 head unit and a Kenwood 4-channel amp powering two sets of separates up front, a set of rears and a 10" JL sub.  The problem I have is when the stereo has been on for a while (approx. 30 minutes or so) every so often it sounds to me like the sub will cut out, then come back on, then cut out again.  This happens very often and it's driving me nuts!  So here's my question(s):

1.  Is the amp overpowering the sub?

2.  Is it a heat issue with the amp?

3.  Do I need to reconnect the sub in a different setup?

4.  So exactly what is the price of tea in China?

Any help would be be greatly appreciated of course!  Thanks!

Tim

:banghead:
[snapback]122940[/snapback]​

1 no
2 yes
3 yes
4 depends on the province

But on a more serious note, how do you have it wired? You are running 5 speakers off of 4 channels. That is your problem right there. You are definitely over stressing the amp. Either drop the rear speakers or get a separate amp for the subwoofer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The same issue happens to a buddy of mine. He has his amp in the passenger seat cubby and on long drives it cuts out because it gets too hot.

I don't know much, but my experience with cut-outs has always been due to heat issues. The amp sounds like it needs more airflow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toykilla - as usual you crack my a$$ up! Thanks for the info! I think I will invest in another amp for the sub.

MaximZ - That is exactly where I have my amp located, so yes, I thought it most likely would be a heat issue as well.

Thanks for all the input guys....that is why I like this forum!

Tim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by maximZ@Jun 28 2005, 11:11 AM
The same issue happens to a buddy of mine.  He has his amp in the passenger seat cubby and on long drives it cuts out because it gets too hot.

I don't know much, but my experience with cut-outs has always been due to heat issues.  The amp sounds like it needs more airflow.
[snapback]123294[/snapback]​

i have my Zapco in the space behind the drivers seat where the Blose is supposed to go, and have never had it get too hot. plus i only run the sub (JL 10) off the amp...

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
different amps will run at differnt temps.. also how you wire it up and the speakers you use will affect the temps..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts