Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are 2 plenum spacers for the 350Z (5/16" and 1/2"). I also know that with the 5/16" spacer you are still able to have your strut brace on and with the 1/2" spacer you CAN NOT have it on due to height contraints. I started searching for alternative ways fix this problem because I wanted to have both (the 1/2" spacer AND the strut bar). STILLEN actually makes a strut bar that is positioned a little further forward and allows room for a STILLEN supercharger. My question is...would this same STILLEN strut bar work with a stock motor that has a 1/2" plenum spacer?

this is the link that I found the STILLEN strut bar so you can check it out if you want.
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/stillen...05-p-12394.html

Any info is appreciative, Thanks.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't. As long as the Stillen bar is positioned far enough out to clear the front of the plenum it should be fine, my guess would be that it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the opinion...its sounding positive so far. I have about a month or 2 before I can do the mods, so that'll give me time to see some more opinions or maybe even someone who has already done or tried this already. Heres to hopeing :cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Just an FYI, I couldn't fit my Ingalls stiffy with the Crawford strutbar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the info. I found that to install a strut brace that goes infront of the plenum, the black cover will have to be removed (or modified :wink: ) which is fine with me. So...I'm gonna go with:

-Motordyne 1/2" plenum spacer
-Stillen strut tower brace
-Stillen front core support (the tower brace and core support match in style)
-APS Tall Boy plenum
-Motordyne lower collector

---possibly: (all Stillen)
-sway bars
-under chassis brace
-camber arm brace
-control arm brace

I found this in another 350z-tech forum if anyone else is interested.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...active%26sa%3DN

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
You're gonna have to choose between the spacer and APS plenum. You can't use both, unless you're gonna cut a plenum shaped hole in your hood. See avatar for my choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE (HalfpintZ @ Jan 19 2009, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=566018
thanks guys for the info. I found that to install a strut brace that goes infront of the plenum, the black cover will have to be removed (or modified :wink: ) which is fine with me. So...I'm gonna go with:

-Motordyne 1/2" plenum spacer
-Stillen strut tower brace
-Stillen front core support (the tower brace and core support match in style)
-APS Tall Boy plenum
-Motordyne lower collector

---possibly: (all Stillen)
-sway bars
-under chassis brace
-camber arm brace
-control arm brace

I found this in another 350z-tech forum if anyone else is interested.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...active%26sa%3DN
Any particular reason for going with the Stillen underbraces (replicas of GT Spec, which are also priced better), and other sways? The stillen stuff works well enough (****, we're dealers) but admittedly is overpriced for what it is. Unless you want the same brand of everything, in which case, I can understand it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z1, no I'm not a brand feign at all, I'll get cheaper stuff that looks expensive because I dont see the point of paying more for something that is the same quality as something cheaper just because its a "brand name". I havn't really done much research on the braces because it will be a little while before I'm able to get them. Before I do anything I have to check with the dealership that I bought my car from and see if the plenum mods won't hurt my warranty. I'm leaning toward Stillen at the moment because of their good reputation, and I basically just want stonger, stiffer sways and braces. In your opinion, which is the best quality underbraces for a tolerable price? (im goin for middle ground <quality/price>) I dont plan on doin any sanctioned GRIP racing but I do want the car to be the best that it can handling wise without spending more than I have to. Thanks for the info
-I'm sticking with the Stillen strut tower brace and core support because I like the style.-

Cobra, I was worried about the APS plenum being to tall, so good call. Well, is it possible to have the APS plenum without the spacer? The added space should be the same as the 1/2" spacer would give plus less mounts inside would cut down on flow constraints. Way later, I plan on a new hood which I won't want to cut but for now I'm stickin with the stock hood which I don't want to cut either...so another option is definitely needed.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
From what I understand, the Hotchkiss sways are the way to go. They also make a kit that consists of sways and springs which apparently can't be beat for the money. You might look into that.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
APS plenum by itself, no problem (see my avatar). 1/2"spacer by itself, no problem. APS with 1/2" spacer is a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Cobra. I'm gonna go with the APS Plenum...I would go with the Kinetix plenum but it has a spot cut out for the stock strut bar and im switching to the stillen strut bar so it wouldnt really look right. I guess I could go all out and add the Kinetix plenum, keep the stock strut bar, add the Stillen strut bar, add the Stillen core support...my front end wouldn't move an inch, add a couple pounds in the front, and have a better air intake...hmm, decisions decisions.

after this is done (if my warranty allows me), and Hotchkiss support bars... next up is 1"/1.5" Tenabe or Sprint drop springs and camber arms.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If you're not racing the car, or driving it competitively, why do you want so much bracing?

The Z is already pretty stiff from the factory. On the track you might notice the difference but on the street I'm not sure if you're going to see a massive performance benefit.

I'd be looking at a Hotchkis TVS kit, a factory VLSD, and tires before I went bracing the chassis if I was concerned about handling.

·
Registered
182 Posts
the APS plenum was discontinued a long time ago - might be able to find one used though

underbraces - GT Spec does some excellent ones, these are what Stillen copied essentially. If you give me a list of all your current mods and what you use the car for, I can recommend which are the best bang for the buck to do.

You're not going to improve on the stiffness of the stock front strut brace. At best you can get a nicer looking one, or one with a brake master cylinder stopper (Carbing..I had this, awesome piece), save some lbs vs stock, or one with better clearance to a spacer. Stiffness wise, you're not going to get any gains though. We just got in a Stillen one for a customer, and it was a nicely made piece. The core support - I know NISMO uses it on their own "version" but frankly. it's a waste - one look at where it actually mounts to will show you this. There are many things on the NISMO version that are very desirable - this brace isn't one of them (unless of course you just like the way it looks, in which case, by all means, get it!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I dont plan on racing it but I do go for spirited driving a lot. The main reason for the Stillen strut bar and core support is the style that it was made. I plan on getting either a taller plenum or a 1/2" spacer under the stock plenum...in which case, a strut bar that goes around it is needed (like the Stillen one). I know this is like blasphemy to Nissan, but I'm not really a fan of Nismo.

Scathing you have a good point about having too much bracing...I was exaggerating when I said I'd put all 3 of the braces on. If I can find a plenum mod that is equivalent to the Kinetix plenum (and the same style) I would get that one instead. The only thing keeping me from the Kinetix is the cut out (molded) area that allows you to keep the stock strut bar. You mentioned tires..right now im running on Hankooks and also have a set of Sumitomos sittin in the garage. As for the TVS kit and VLSD, thats getting out of my price range for the time being. I'll keep those in mind when I want to move up. 1+

Z1, that sucks about the APS plenum...I wasn't aware of that. I havn't had the car for very long so as far as engine, drive train, suspension, and chassis go...its bone stock. I guess I think backwards from the norm, I prefer handling and control first over speed and acceleration. There are some underbraces made by Stillen that I don't understand how they would help (i.e. the ones around the differential and down the side of the car near the transmission). I'll have to look into the ones by GT Spec and see if I like them better.

Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts