Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about putting headers on my 05 Perf. I'm considering putting on Strup headers. Just wondering if anybody had opinions: Yay or Nay ?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I have had them since the inception. For the money, they are very good. No complaints. With tuning (ECU Flash) I was able to pick up nice power.

I would only replace mine with a light weight Titanium set. But we are talking $600 or less for Strup and $3000 for Ti. headers.. so bad comparison.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thinking about putting headers on my 05 Perf. I'm considering putting on Strup headers. Just wondering if anybody had opinions: Yay or Nay ?

unless you are going to dish out the cash for crawfords, I wouldn't waste my time or money on headers. Install is a bitch if you do it yourself or most likely upwards of 400 bucks if you have a shop do it. I had headers and an ECU flash paired with intake, plenum, test pipes, crank pulley and catback and I thought of all the mods I did, the headers were the biggest waste of time and money.

On top of that, if you ever decide to go FI (which is the only way to get respectable gains) there is a 99.9% chance you will be ditching the headers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
lol... crawfords or bust , eh? :)

yep,

That said though, I think nearly every N/A mod is a waste. I don't mind a catback for look at sound, but let's not kid ourselves on n/a potential of this car

crank pulley - 230
headers - 400
cataback - 1000
test pipes (resonated)- 380
Intake - 200
Bored TB - 250
plenum - 350+110 strut bar
ECU flash - 600
did self install on all that so no install fees

dyno'd at a WHOPPING 256.9 whp (dynojet). Those are respectable numbers n/a, but come one, maybe 25 whp (give or take) over what most Z's do stock??? What a WASTE of time and money. IMO, you are installing all that stuff to say, "dude, look at all the mods I gots" ...not for the numbers.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
What a WASTE of time and money. IMO, you are installing all that stuff to say, "dude, look at all the mods I gots" ...not for the numbers.

wow. I know you are just expressing your opinion. So, no worries there.

But, what are you saying when you have almost 500whp? In a sense you don't really need that amount of power on the street. But that's what you want.. so you did it. FI isn't the path for everyone. Some people may want to spend money on N/A mods.. Maybe that's what the like.. or all they can afford at the moment. Or don't want to void warranties, etc...

Just playing devil's advocate here...

IMO, it's all in what the owner of the car wants to do. I agree. The N/A mods don't make a lot of power. But what's wrong with wanting under 300whp?

FWIW, I like what I have on the Z right now. And that includes headers and most NA mods. Sure it cost money.. But I don't regret doing them even if I go FI. I gained power with Strup headers. We (AAM and I) were one of the first dyno sheets to be given to Charles.

You don't have to turbocharge the Z to have fun. Every person is different. And I know you would agree. It's just a car in the end. :cheers:

·
Registered
728 Posts
wow. I know you are just expressing your opinion. So, no worries there.

But, what are you saying when you have almost 500whp? In a sense you don't really need that amount of power on the street. But that's what you want.. so you did it. FI isn't the path for everyone. Some people may want to spend money on N/A mods.. Maybe that's what the like.. or all they can afford at the moment. Or don't want to void warranties, etc...

Just playing devil's advocate here...

IMO, it's all in what the owner of the car wants to do. I agree. The N/A mods don't make a lot of power. But what's wrong with wanting under 300whp?

FWIW, I like what I have on the Z right now. And that includes headers and most NA mods. Sure it cost money.. But I don't regret doing them even if I go FI. I gained power with Strup headers. We (AAM and I) were one of the first dyno sheets to be given to Charles.

You don't have to turbocharge the Z to have fun. Every person is different. And I know you would agree. It's just a car in the end. :cheers:
I totally agree with what you are saying. I had ABSOLUTELY no plans for a turbo setup. I was 100% pro-n/a. thing is, I got down to the reality of it and n/a meant nothing more than a car that sounded fast. I have nothing against those that want to stay n/a, but just keep in mind, it is A LOOOOOOOOONG road to even 300 whp n/a. If you got into the 270s you should consider yourself blessed. For the money it would take to get a Z to 300 whp n/a you could have a turbo setup and have 170+ whp gains.

I just laugh at the threads about I gained 10 hp with such and such mod. Who gives a sh!t, you actually think you can feel 10 hp?? With my 25 whp I gained, I barely felt a difference.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I just laugh at the threads about I gained 10 hp with such and such mod. Who gives a sh!t, you actually think you can feel 10 hp?? With my 25 whp I gained, I barely felt a difference.

:lmfao: :)

i think i gained like 25whp at peak and 30 or so in the midrange. Not great, but I don't think it should come as a surprise to people. It's all the same road as other N/A cars/ tuning.

I certainly agree that 25whp isn't a big deal. But it seems like the first group of mods. And you can mostly keep and add to them for later plans.

Fun, fun. Nice debating with you this morning. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
To add to this thread.. Be sure that "we" are checking the A/F if you are adding on all the bolt on parts and don't have any ECU tuning.

I don't think ECU flashing really has it's place any more in the $500-600 ECU tuning range. But, it is certainly one way to make changes.

Just be sure you don't slap on a bunch of mods and drive around uber-lean and don't know it. And yes, bolting on a bunch of parts will change the A/F ratio enough to be dangerous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tend to agree about staying NA. Sure, 450whp is cool, but I don't need it. I don't need to get to the end of the block in 2secs. flat nor do I need to make myself a road hazard by showing off all the power. No thanks. BUT, I do enjoy working on my car, making improvements here and there and I don't mind spending the money as long as there are gains. I just don't need the hassles of FI and believe me, I've seen LOTS 1st hand. Don't get me wrong, if you want big power, go for it, to each his own. Mine is NA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had them since the inception. For the money, they are very good. No complaints. With tuning (ECU Flash) I was able to pick up nice power.

I would only replace mine with a light weight Titanium set. But we are talking $600 or less for Strup and $3000 for Ti. headers.. so bad comparison.
Any idea what gains you got with the Strups?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I tend to agree about staying NA. Sure, 450whp is cool, but I don't need it. I don't need to get to the end of the block in 2secs. flat nor do I need to make myself a road hazard by showing off all the power. No thanks. BUT, I do enjoy working on my car, making improvements here and there and I don't mind spending the money as long as there are gains. I just don't need the hassles of FI and believe me, I've seen LOTS 1st hand. Don't get me wrong, if you want big power, go for it, to each his own. Mine is NA.
you all want to know what frustratest the **** out of me on these forums?? IGNORANCE

just because I have a TT setup and 450 whp, doesn't mean I think anyone that doesn't go TT to pump out the hp I do is making a mistake. I also totally agree that FI is not for everyone and feel n/a is completely fine.

The reality is.....................

Headers suck!!!!!!! They WILL give you gains, but in the end, after you've thrown thousands at your car - headers, pulleys, intakes, plenums, test pipes, exhaust, ECU flashes, custom tuning, etc. And the time you took to install all the BS. Now you have what a WHOPPING 25 whp gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG 25whp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's post all over the **** forums about how great your 7 whp gains were from your headers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can put all your time and money into putting those stupid headers on and to be COMPLETELY honest, you most likely won't even be able to hear the difference, let alone feel one. If you fully intend on staying n/a forget the **** headers. Get a ultra light clutch and flywheel setup, 3.9 final drive, and a best that money can buy suspension and BBK, and a good set of wheels and tires. Go ahead and get and exhaust so your car sounds faster.

Don't lie to yourself because I have been there and done that. I was like all you n/a guys thinking exhaust and intakes would be enough. Reality people -> IT ISN'T ENOUGH. Heck it only makes the car sound faster which in turn pisses you off more. Now you have a car that not only looks fast, it now sounds fast, and when you stop kidding yourselves and come to the reality of it, it's about 1.5 **** hairs faster than the day you drove it home from the dealership. But hey, you have exhaust, headers, test pipes, plenum. intake, bored throttle body, etc. But your good friend that can pound some gears on his completely stock Z can still eat you up.

And for those of you that think I am bitter because I went decently far with my n/a setup before I went FI - you are sorrily mistaken. It was an eye opening experence and I was able to sell most everything I couldn't use for only a small loss.

And yes, I am a crabby ******* and no, you don't have to listen to or even care what I have to say. Just remember, after you are patting yourself on the back after you get those headers on, remember that Zivman said, you are in for a disappointment.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just don't need the hassles of FI and believe me, I've seen LOTS 1st hand.
I am willing to bet, the FI 'hassles' you refer to aren't Z owners, and if they are, they aren't Z owners that spent their money on APS setups. Yes, there will be a bit more maintanance on a FI setup, cltuches, tires, oil changes, etc, but nothing that wouldn't be doing on a n/a setup. you get an APS setup properly intalled and tuned, and you will enjoy a boost car that IMO is 99% as reliable as your car was n/a.

You will have hassles no matter how you mod your car. That is about the only given there is in this game. I would rather have my hassles and have a 400+ whp car than some measily 250 whp car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You are obviously correct that no one will actually see great gains from adding NA options.

The posted gains on this forum and in pubs such as SportZ make that eminently obvious.

Since we all know this why do we do these mods?

We probably do these mods because they are relatively inexpensive and have little likelihood of adversely affecting our cars.

In addition some of like the sound and appearance of "true duals" etc.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You are obviously correct that no one will actually see great gains from adding NA options.

The posted gains on this forum and in pubs such as SportZ make that eminently obvious.

Since we all know this why do we do these mods?

We probably do these mods because they are relatively inexpensive and have little likelihood of adversely affecting our cars.

In addition some of like the sound and appearance of "true duals" etc.

the real reason people mod there cars knowing very well they can count any and all gains on their fingers is NOT because they are inexpensive - even relatively speaking. They do it so they can tell their even more ignorant mustang, camaro, honda, and saturn (redline of course) friends that they have exhaust, headers, intake, plenum etc.

Like I said, if you want the sound, than by all means, get a catback, but pissing away money on things like headers is just plain stupid. You are better off sending your money off to the united way, at least then you can get a tax right off.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
you get an APS setup properly intalled and tuned, and you will enjoy a boost car that IMO is 99% as reliable as your car was n/a.

You will have hassles no matter how you mod your car. That is about the only given there is in this game. I would rather have my hassles and have a 400+ whp car than some measily 250 whp car.

Those are very very bold statements.

Come and do 100 laps with me. And we'll see where we stand. :)

Turbo will add heat and wear. Period. You are forcing air into a motor that wasn't made for boost. You cannot say, that a 450whp FI car is not going to be more stressful on the engine that it was naturally aspirated.

To each their own. . But I cannot agree with you 100%.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
the real reason people mod there cars knowing very well they can count any and all gains on their fingers is NOT because they are inexpensive - even relatively speaking. They do it so they can tell their even more ignorant mustang, camaro, honda, and saturn (redline of course) friends that they have exhaust, headers, intake, plenum etc.

Like I said, if you want the sound, than by all means, get a catback, but pissing away money on things like headers is just plain stupid. You are better off sending your money off to the united way, at least then you can get a tax right off.

Woah, Zivman.. Easy there my friend.

You don't brag about having a TT to your friends? Haven't taken any for rides or tried to further push them in the same direction of modding that you have??!

Does not matter how you like to tune it. It comes down to the person that owns the car and what THEY want.

Saying adding headers is "stupid" and "pissing money away" must be a joke. Because there are gains to be made. Whether or not you think they are justifiable has nothing to do with the intelligence of the owner.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself.. But I added all those worthless parts because I wanted to. Not to impress the mustang and saturn boys.

<EDIT I just read your editted long post. I know you are aware of the gains, but you personally don't care for it>

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just added DC sports ceramic headers to my ride along with the plenum, pop, exhaust, and pulleys. I am satisfied w/my purchase because I got them installed for $225 and can feel the extra ponies pull. I agree with FI, but don't have the cash. I like N/A because that is my frame of referrence. As long as I'm faster than most Z's is cool w/me. I'm working on drive skills in my daily drive so my modified Z has ample power. Basically, my car takes out 90 - 95% of the cars on the road. If you have mad drive skilz and a super hp car than you gotta have FI. Buying mods got me in tune with my car and has created a desire to better my car, even if I don't choose the more economical FI route.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I guess ignorant is in the eyes of the beholder.

The stock 350Z will certainly exceed any speed limits in any area of the US, so we really have no "practical" need to add more power do we.

Since the stock handling is also more than adequate for driving within the normal speed limits we have no need to perform suspension or tire mods either.

By your definition we are all just stupid if we perform mods!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts