Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a about 3500 miles on my Z, and I just started to hear this high pitched clicking, metal grinding noise. I think it is coming from the steering column, but I am not sure, I have not heard the noise for that long, and as always it never shows up while the radio is off and I am listening for it. It seems to happen ever so often when I hit a bump in the road, or when I turn, or accelerate hard, but not always. I was thinking that if could be something that was attached to the steering column maybe up by the speed/tach/fuel gauge. I always have my tilt wheel in the highest positions (if that makes a difference). Has anyone had this problem, or know what it might be?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I have the clicking but it is coming from the rear view mirror, it doesn't make that noise all the time but I found out it was this b/c I touched the frame of the mirror and the noise stopped. I haven't gotten to the dealership to get it fixed but I believe that there is a TSB for it if it's your rearview mirror....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Originally posted by StL 350@Oct 21 2004, 10:48 AM
I have a about 3500 miles on my Z, and I just started to hear this high pitched clicking, metal grinding noise.    I think it is coming from the steering column, but I am not sure, I have not heard the noise for that long, and as always it never shows up while the radio is off and I am listening for it.  It seems to happen ever so often when I hit a bump in the road, or when I turn, or accelerate hard, but not always.  I was thinking that if could be something that was attached to the steering column maybe up by the speed/tach/fuel gauge.  I always have my tilt wheel in the highest positions (if that makes a difference).  Has anyone had this problem, or know what it might be?

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to get this when I would take a hard turn or a fast turn, and it definitely was a screetching metal on metal sound coming from the steering column. I remember asking about it on the 'other' forum, and getting no response.

I had it in the early miles, but it went away and I haven't heard it once in I'd say at least 15000 miles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Oct 21 2004, 10:56 AM
I have the clicking but it is coming from the rear view mirror, it doesn't make that noise all the time but I found out it was this b/c I touched the frame of the mirror and the noise stopped.  I haven't gotten to the dealership to get it fixed but I believe that there is a TSB for it if it's your rearview mirror....

Rear view mirror rattle...

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2227

I am not aware of a TSB on the steering column noise, but I will check it out.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
There's nothing out there believe me I've looked. This is only the second person I've ever heard that had the problem (me being the first). Mine went away after a bit, I'd assume yours will too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I have heard the noise it sounds as though it is coming from my seat. Has any had anything like this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts