Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:doh: I have a concern. I have had about 4,500 miles with my stoptech big brake kit in the front but now the brakes feel not responsive since yesterday. I have to floor them for them to start braking. I wanted your opinion on this. Is it pads I need or what? Also I'm starting to get a light squeal when coming to a stop. Let me know since Im going to dealer tomorrow and want to know what this could be or not be so I dont get ripped off. Thanks in advance you guys. :shiftdrive:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
+1 Make sure there are no leaks. If you get a chance, take off the wheels and look for any wet, shiny spots around the lines/connections. Or just look at the ground when you move the car after it's been sitting there for a while.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I doubt it is the front pads. You just don't have enough miles on them.

However, it could be the rear pads. When you install a StopTech BBK on the front only, it transfers a lot of pressure to the back. Member Enthuz (Bruce) experienced this when we were racing at Gingerman. He torched an entire set of Carbotech pads on the rear in one day. Over 4500 miles, you could have easily done this. I would check the rear pads. The squeel may be the wear indicator pin on the rear pads. If this is the case, send me a PM and I will let you know how to fix it.

It could also be a leak, bad breaking fluid, or air in your lines. As the others noted, look around the master cylinder (under the brake cover in the engine bay) and at each wheel. Look for brake fluid all over the place in your wheel wells. If it is leaking there, the wheel would spin it all over. If it is a leak, you need to fix the leak and then re-bleed the system.

If the fluid is old and water logged (brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water over time), then you need to replace the fluid. This is pretty easy. Basically, get a good fluid first. I recommend Ate Super Blue from www.raceshopper.com. Because it is blue in color, you will be able to tell when it reaches the caliper. Add the fluid as you bleed the lines. When blue fluid starts coming out the bleeder valve, you know that line is done. If you need tips on bleeding lines, let me know. I do it about three times a year or more (due to tracking the car).

Cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
EnthuZ checking in! I'm BCRLtd on this site though....

Yes, I went through a set of rear pads at Gingerman 2 years ago. I wouldn't say a BBK transfers pressure to the rears, it's just that the fronts now do a LOT more work, the rears also do more work. The non-track OEM rear pads are ridiculously small, as in postage stamp sized. Check your rear pads, but I don't think that this is your problem. I also doubt you have a leak, as the brake light on your dash would light up. Mine did when I didn't completely tighten a front banjo fitting. My guess is that there may still be a bit of air somewhere in your lines.

Good luck getting it corrected.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My brakes are running perfect. I would suggest that you check for any slight leaks around the fittings where the lines connect. Tighten down everything to make sure. Then I would rebleed the brakes to eliminate any air pockets. This will assure that you are getting excellent brake pressure. Then finally to eliminate any squeal I would clean them down with brake cleaner before you put the wheel back on. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up the car yesterday and everything was fine until now!!!!

Oh man............I was stopping behind a car at a stop sign and the brakes where good when I pressed with enough pressure then I heard a Clank and then the brake pedal went all the way to the back and the car lost braking power. What on earth is wrong with my brakes?????????????? I almost hit the car in the front.

MAYDAY!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Something is definately not right. I would take the car off the road and go through everything from the master cylinder all the way to the rotors.

Even if you are leaking fluid, you would be able to pump up the brakes to come to a stop. Unless the leak is really bad, but then you would notice something like that. If you pushed your brake pedal to the floor and did it a few times and nothing happened, then I would say you have an issue with your pedal/master cylinder not pumping brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I guess your visit to a dealership was a waste of time. Not to generalize for all nissan technicians but, most of them don't care how something gets done as long as it is leaving the gargage for something new to work on.

In other words, I would not trust a dealership to do any work on my car.

Have you thought about going to an aftermarket performance shop?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have today I just didnt want to spend a lot of money just on repairs but I guess I have too. Well Thanks again you guys for always helping. I really hope issue gets fixed soon!!!!!!!!!! :shiftdrive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts