Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Ive been driving the Z now daily for almost 4 months, and im really not liking the stock suspension

At a cruise on smooth to moderate roads it feels fine, nicely damped, firm yet soft enough to be comfortable

But as soon as i hit the city or a rough rd the front just feels too hard. Over potholes, train tracks and road expansion joints the front crashes hard, the interior is filled with a screeching plastic on plastic noise, and the whole dash feels like its going to rip off. The rear is fine, its almost too soft in comparison. I take it Nissan engineers never drove a 330ci

Does anyone else experience this?

My alfa was 80mm off the ground with zero suspension travel and konis dialed to max firmness, and it never crashed like this

Once i get my wheels on, im going to have to fit some luxury coilovers, HKS LS+ preferably, at this rate the car is going to fall apart, and the interior rattles will be battling the stereo tunes

What's your thoughts? Curious to here u syd guys with even worse city roads

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I take it Nissan engineers never drove a 330ci

It might not be the 'softest' or 'smothest' ride, but personaly I don't care much about that. I care more about how it takes a corner, where it's limits are and what it does on the limit. In that regard the OME suspension is really good IMHO ... even though, it's set up a bit too much on the 'safe side' for my liking ... hence my fidling with the supsnsion.

Personaly 330ci I'm glad that the Zed is not set up like a BMW ... unless it's an M3 (or CSL) then they are just too soft to be driven at the limit.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
TPIACE - you are correct. I have the Touring model which is supposed to have a slightly better ride than the Track. However, I have driven and sat in a few Track models and really cannot notice any difference in ride comfort between the two models.

From what I understand, most coilovers will probably give you a harsher ride when set to their softest settings. So I don't know if this is the best solution to your problem - though I could be completely wrong.

I believe that it is the springs in the Z rather than the shocks that give the car such a poor ride over poor roads. Perhaps you could consider changing just the springs to a progressive spring that provides the initial compliance needed when driving normally around town, but then firm up to stock levels or higher when cornering hard. I've been informed by a reliable source that the Eibach (spelling) progressive springs are the way to go.

Also, some of the Sydney Z owners changed their shocks over to Koni's and said they noticed an improvement in ride quality.

BTW, I just got back from picking up the missus and I could not help myself an went for a bit of a hoon. Even after 2.5 years of ownership, I am constantly surprised at how stable the Z is when near the limit. With another car in the garage to share the daily driving duties, I sure am glad that Nissan set the Z's suspension up the way they did.

If the Z was my only daily driver, then I'd get the Eibach springs as a cost effective measure to improving minor bump control while retaining on limit poise.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sell it, and buy a 330ci
been there done that, i had a Z4 3.0L 2 summers back :cheers:

typical though for people to fly off on a tangent when i compare another car to the saintly Z. BMW can engineer a ride that is firm, progressive, yet wont kick back over sharp ridges, and that includes the harder M3. Maybe when i fit wider tyres, and i catch the edge of a pothole (i do avoid them) the car will just glid over them rather than 'falling in'. The Ferrari never gets caught on a pothole because the tyres are often wider than the hole itself

KY im pretty sure the HKS LS+ can be setup softer than stock. Ideally i would go soft at the front and a bit firmer in the rear. Changing just the springs wont work, because most go the opposite route, harder in the front, soft rear, to cure the understeer, but ill never track the car so i dont care about inducing more understeer if it means a more compliant ride

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I don't think harder in the front, softer in the back, will cure understeer. It'll probably make it worse.

Less dive on the front reduces your weight shift, giving you less pressure over the tyres on turn-in. Of course, the stock suspension is already pretty soft so I'd probably put stiffer suspension in the front anyway.

A softer rear will increase squat on power down, lifting the nose and reducing the pressure over the front tyres on power out. The nose lifts enough already, you don't need more of it.

If anything I'd run the rear with relatively stiffer springs (as a ratio increase), and then play with the swaybars to fine-tune the handling.

The Touring's suspension setup isn't too bad. Its firm, but fair. I noticed when I put the Track rims onto my car my ride got a lot crashier. The adjustable Koni dampers I put in let me run the car softer normally, and with a jack I can tighten them up a bit for better handling. But the swaybars were well worth it in terms of improving the handling.

Does anyone know what the stock spring rates are? I've been thinking about coilovers, and I don't want to get something super stiff since its a street car that I daily drive. I've been meaning to get a ride in Mr Rizk's car, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has the stock rates.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
BMW can engineer a ride that is firm, progressive, yet wont kick back over sharp ridges, and that includes the harder M3.

Generaly speaking BMWs are too 'soft' for all out driving. Yes they are nicely balanced, but really need suspension work done if you wnat to drive them at the limit. M3 is an excellent compromize, and that's relatively firm. CSL is even better, but from I doubt that is 'rides better than the Zed.

The Z4 has similar feel to the Zed ... it's probably too firm for most peope, but excellent when driven hard.

No problem with people making the Zed ride better (or softer), but for one I would like more agressive suspension tunning from, the factory ... especialy on the Track model. Thouh, by that I don't mean that I'm after harsher ride ... that's usualy just a by-product of sharper handling. Usualy there is some kind of compromize here ... even though some people/manufacturers can get a little bit more from each side. Porsche do an excelent job on their 'sportier' models (if one can say such thing). That is is the 'more' performance oriented 911s and Boxsters with the 'sports suspension'. Without it they are too much much of a GT/cruiser IMHO.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exactly what im trying to say is other manufacturers get an even harder ride overall without the front end crashing

the hardest ride ive ever driven is the 996 TT S Cab, there is zero suspension travel, its very very hard, so much so that it pops a wheel up in the air getting into my driveway, yet slam over a pothole and it doesnt fuss, no crash, just a damped thud. And its a cab with a supposedly weaker a-pillar section. When one wheel falls into a pothole in the Z, its as if the the a-pillar wants to bend and twist, and thats whats making the dash feel like its coming apart. Maybe i should try tightening the strut brace?

im going to do sways with the coilovers, going for the cusco's. Its going to be tricky driving the car with 19s and lower profile tyres while i save a month for the coilovers

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sam'

i think it's a bit harsh for you to say NIssan engineering never driven 330ci lol.

I mean as far as i know Most of the Japanese car maker think the BMW M3 as their god. They trying to make the car as good as the BMW M3 without taking all the cost that the BMW have put it. More like the have to comprimise couple of things. To make the car cost less.

But anyway. About the suspension.

I think if the people don't go to track often the safest way is to make the car Understeer rather than Oversteer.

On the race track it's better to have the car oversteer i think.

Based on my experience on having the LS+, this is what i learned:

Understeer = Medium or Firm Front/ Soft Rear (good for drag race)

Oversteering = Soft Front/ Medium or Firm Rear ( good for track fun)

But i don't know if we can ever balance that out?

Like putting all Medium? Will that induce Understeer?

cheers

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yun with the LS+ set to medium, is that firmer than stock suspension or softer?

can u go softer than stock on the LS+?

i think ive found my solution, ill just buy a clean E36 as a daily, and leave the Z locked up in the garage for the nice days :)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If I could afford to do that, I'd probably own a Golf as a daily and an Elise 111R in the lockup.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think Sam has got the different suspension setup from the Track model... it is an anniv. edition... I did notice a bit of different in 35th though when I rode in Des's car... his car ride is a lot better than track model though... it is softer than track IMO...

I will have to say that BMW m3, porsche and even Ferrari, they put down quite alot of money doing R&Ds and most likely they use near BEST available part options in the market on their cars, that's why the prices are so much diff. compare to japanese cars... and I am sure everyone will be happier to own a M3/Carrera/F430 than owing a 350z if we can all afford one...

Curious... Sam... why didn't you go for M3 or M3 CSL at the very beginning after you sold the z4? I think it is a nicer car in terms to build quality and performance than the z though...

Yun is right, every japanese manufacturer is trying to produce a "budget" car to beat BMW M3 and I guess not only those manufacturers, even after markets vendors, every single one is trying to compare their cars with BMW M3 or Porsche GT3... So why not get the best one if you can??? :)

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the M3 is a well engineered car, but every accountant and real estate has one these days. There are just too many on the road, and dont look any different than any other 3 series on the road. Plus every muzza has fake m3 wheels and kits on their 318i's, kills the allure of owning the real thing

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sam for my suspension. Yes it can go softer than stock.

But taking account of Richards car saying the different suspension ride in both track and Anniv, i don't know.

Or Sam'

Why not go for Bilstein Yellow or Koni?

I'm sure that's better for you. If you want to lower it. just change to the Tein Spring (one that for comfort version).

See if you would like it or not.

If you don't do Track it's no point to get Coilovers.

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
the M3 is a well engineered car, but every accountant and real estate has one these days. There are just too many on the road, and dont look any different than any other 3 series on the road. Plus every muzza has fake m3 wheels and kits on their 318i's, kills the allure of owning the real thing
Its quite easy to tell the difference (especially on the E46), but you have to know what you're looking for. Your average punter wouldn't know a real M3 from a bodykitted 4 banger.

If you're driving the car to impress people, though, then the M3 doesn't stand out enough. If you want a well sorted luxury sports car, and **** what other people think, it's still a good buy.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah was a good buy, over it now though

it looks dated inside and out

its not about impressing people, rather the feeling of owning something somewhat unique

the same reason there is still demand for old Ferraris and 911s

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yun,

RS4 is a bloody fast car (previous version).... I will LOVE to own one, but I presume that the cost of running it (servings at Audi... etc) will cost quite a lot... Also the parts for that car will be a killer too since there are only 20 in the country and they are all running 2.2bar on their stock engine... It can easily be told it is WIDER and looks meaner than normal S4...

With the E46 m3, I think they are pretty quite different from other 3 series though and don't mind one either... just once again, the cost of running it is a kill especially the SMG version... After warranty, the cost to replace a hydraulic pump for the SMG is 3K+... and they break like every 2 years or so... :(

OT:

Yun.. how do you like the new C-west Dry CF bonnet? Show us some pics man!

cheers,

richie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts