Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't need to go all out for performance and get a full exhaust, I just want to kick up the stock deep exhaust tone. Will test pipes do this?

Obviously, I don't mind having a bit more power, I just don't have the $$ right now to shell out for a full Borla or Magnaflow.

Other than a popcharger and plenum spacer, any suggestions for the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Resonated TPs or hi-flow cats should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I used to have the Helix straight pipes, which some people didn't like due to the raw sound. I didn't mind it because it only made the rasp at a certain RPM range.

I now have a cheap set of resonated pipes which doesn't sound the same but is still loud enough for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Jul 26 2009, 07:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=580892
I used to have the Helix straight pipes, which some people didn't like due to the raw sound. I didn't mind it because it only made the rasp at a certain RPM range.

I now have a cheap set of resonated pipes which doesn't sound the same but is still loud enough for me.
Couple questions for you sir:

1. For clarification, is the "rasp" that sound that people feel is ricey?
2. Raw sound? This sounds like what I'm looking for minus that certain rasp at X RPM, isn't it?
3. How cheap a set of resonated pipes, what kind and most importantly.. have any vid/sound clips of the resonated or non resonated?

Thanks mucho!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
With the new resonated pipes:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i8.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/SmoothZ/exhaust%20systems/singleexhaust003.flv">

The rasp usually occurred about 2500-3000 rpms, then went quiet. The raw sound I mentioned is more like the sound you hear at a race track like certain SCCA events with built motors and true amateur cars.

I think the majority of pipes cost between $100-200, and the hi-flow ones are at least $50-100 more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Jul 26 2009, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=580917
With the new resonated pipes:

The rasp usually occurred about 2500-3000 rpms, then went quiet. The raw sound I mentioned is more like the sound you hear at a race track like certain SCCA events with built motors and true amateur cars.

I think the majority of pipes cost between $100-200, and the hi-flow ones are at least $50-100 more.
Wow, thats stock exhaust, resonated pipes?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Top Speed resonated test pipes, a bigger y-pipe, stock mide-pipe with the OEM resonator, and a Bosal fart can w/o a silencer. I call it the Frankenstein exhaust.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Jul 26 2009, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=580941
Top Speed resonated test pipes, a bigger y-pipe, stock mide-pipe with the OEM resonator, and a Bosal fart can w/o a silencer. I call it the Frankenstein exhaust.
What size is the factory y pipe? I don't want to get one smaller than the factory one, but I want to know that the inlets/outlets match up.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts

pretty much the same setup as Dave minus the Y pipe and with helix non resonated instead....
with the helix i only hear rasp when i let off the gas and it goes dvown to the rpm's he listed... getting on it... nothing but sweet sweet exhaust note

1 - 11 of 11 Posts