Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I would appreciated inputs from anyone experienced with this system.
Actually a few have been installed by a shop down here. I was talking to the mechanic and he said and the same WHP-compared to turbo set ups - the super chargers were proving to be more reliable. He claimed they'd blown up a couple turboed Z's already, which really could only be caused by running too much booste or an improper tune....can't see it being the kit's fault. Anyways, one guy has the stage 3 I believe and a mag came down to shoot it....nice set up, he loves it.....

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
And reguarding this....I know this sounds silly and I know it sounds overkill....but just think with your Z hearts and not your brain for a minute. For high HP applications, would it be possible to run maybe the little baby stage 1 SC with a turbo kit...on a built motor obviously. I know it sounds crazy....hot air getting hotter and more compressed is not ideal....but just maybe? I know there's a Diablo running around my city with a SC and twins, so I know it can be done....but on a Z?....

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can dual compress air but there really is no reason.. turbos will compress air way more than even a built engine can handle

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
you can dual compress air but there really is no reason.. turbos will compress air way more than even a built engine can handle
Ya that's what I figured... Are you looking into getting that kit? Do you know to what extent the 3 yr/36000 mi. "Engine Warrenty" covers?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont particularly favor the Stillen setup, but continue doing research to help others decide what is best for them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone know if the Stage 4 is out yet?
i had mine for few months now. It is out of course but not advertised yet on the stillen site, i asked them why , they said that they like to sell it only to people already having the stage 2 or stage 3 setup and who are familiar with the kit and are responsible enough not to mess with the tuning and ruin the car , ........etc.........i don't know their policy but maybe this is better for them financially
Anyways the stage 4 is more responsive from low rpms than stage 3 , i could tell the difference.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I have a video at home, of a piece that Stillen did on their S/C kit.

I'll have to figure how to upload to Google Video (I don't like YouTube's quality) and link it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have to have a custom hood, yes.
Stillen now has the series 2 hood, which has a small hood scoop on it. IMO, it think the series 2 hood looks 10x better than the series 1 hood. Im looking into the stage 3 setup for my Z in the future. :irock: The reliability of stillen has lured me in.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have a video at home, of a piece that Stillen did on their S/C kit.

I'll have to figure how to upload to Google Video (I don't like YouTube's quality) and link it.
:bump: Find the vid yet?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
if u want you can hear few seconds of my stillen car , i was not racing or anything, my friend just videoed me for few seconds with a small camera ..but it gives you an idea.
go to:
www.lebanonracing.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup

then choose page 4 you will see Dr.G Stillen Supercharged Z video
Ooh, that sound makes my nipples hard... :lmfao:

Thanks for the vid!

Here's the link for those of you that want to listen: http://www.lebanonracing.com/gallery/displ...at=0&pos=47

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Once upon a time .. long .. long ago .. I asked if anyone had the template Stillen provides for cutting the stocker hood for the supercharger. The reason ... I was curious exactly where it is cut .. and how much clearence is required. Back in the day ... we used to put hood scoops .. or otherwise modify the stocker hood. Not just go out and drop a bundle on a new hood. Figured that it seems a shame to dump the stock hood for one in fiberglass if all you needed to do is 'scoop' or 'cowl'ify' it ... hence the need to know exactly where to cut and how much room is needed. There is of course .. that it would be good 'stuff' for the wiki ...

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once upon a time .. long .. long ago .. I asked if anyone had the template Stillen provides for cutting the stocker hood for the supercharger. The reason ... I was curious exactly where it is cut .. and how much clearence is required. Back in the day ... we used to put hood scoops .. or otherwise modify the stocker hood. Not just go out and drop a bundle on a new hood. Figured that it seems a shame to dump the stock hood for one in fiberglass if all you needed to do is 'scoop' or 'cowl'ify' it ... hence the need to know exactly where to cut and how much room is needed. There is of course .. that it would be good 'stuff' for the wiki ...
ask, and ye shall receive

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
You could always buy the carbon fiber hood from stillen. They have the series 1 with a carbon fiber finish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts