Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting a 350Z Touring in the VERY early spring because I love leather, it has the bose stereo and navi option. Then, after talking to many people on this site I came to the conclusion that I could get a custom stereo with Navi and custom leather for cheaper than the difference between the Touring and Performance models. This would also take about $5,000 off the financing making my payments lower. I am putting together a stereo so that I can have it ready for when I get the Z and put it in. I am very good with mods and stereo stuff and mechanical stuff(dad is a mechanic) so there is no trouble installing it, I just need opinions.

I want to keep everything in stock locations, including the sub where the stock one would be.

The things I am SURE on are as follows:

Kenwood DDX-7015 deck
Kenwood KNA-DV 4100 Navigation

I have heard of a lot of people putting this setup in their car:

JL Audio 10w6v2 sub
PG x400.1 Mono Amp(for sub)
Infinity Kappa 62.5i(back)
Infinity Kappa 6.1(front)

I was wondering would this be a good way to go? I know JL and PG are good companies but how good is infinity? And what amp should I use to run the infinity components and speakers?

What I want out of this stereo is the back 6.5" speakers and the front component systems to be very VERY clear. I want the sub to produce a decent amount of bass. I am used to a lot lol.

I have also heard(from a local shop near me) that diamond Audio has some of the best stuff for as far as clarity. Is this true. I don't really have a budget I believe you get what you pay for and am not afraid to wait a little bit longer to save up if I know I am getting quality stuff. Not rediculous though. I have seen amps that cost thousands upon thousands and come in a cherry wood box lined with velvet....taaaaad too much lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The system that you are showing would be great. Maybe run a JL 300/2 amp for the highs and should be plenty enough.
Diamond audio sounds excellent but as for cost it will be a lot more than infinity.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't a 300/2 a 2 channel amp? Wouldn't I need a 4 channel amp? I have for 6.5 speakers to power. two in doors and 2 behind seats.

·
Registered
315 Posts
you can have ch1 for left and ch2 for right. i'd recommend sticking with the same brand of amp.

as far as clarity/quality, each person's ear is different. best thing for you to do is to compile a cd of your favorite songs. take it with you to a local stereo shop and listen to different components. that way, you know how it's supposed to sound and can make the best judgement based on your situation.

·
Registered
315 Posts
500/1

The PG might be a better choice. The w6v2 wants to see 400rms, which is what the PG puts out. 500 might be a little much, depends on what enclosure you use also. If you go sealed, you can put more power to it. Also, both JL and PG amps are underated. Both puts out around 50rms more than stated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If PG is a better choice...then could you give me a good PG amp for the Infinity components?

·
Registered
315 Posts
200.2 or 200.4. It's up to you if you want to run a 4ch amp. You can get the 200.2 for the fronts and run the rears off of the HU.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which would you suggest? The JL amps to run the JL sub and infinity speakers? Or the PG amps to run the JL sub and Infinity speakers?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is your sub enclosure going to be sealed or ported? If sealed, you can go with JL, PG if it's ported. Reason is that with a ported enclosure, the sub doesn't have to work has hard. therefor, not requiring as much power.

Here's a link to the PG Xenon amps. Depending on your components, you can decided which amp to go with.
http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/xenonamps.html

You can also go with the Octane line. Octane line is a lot smaller than the Xenon. Fitment could be an issue.
http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/octane-ramps.html

My only gripe with JL amps is that for a little less, you can get something just as good. For a little more, you can get something better. If they would lower their price a little, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I think I am finally starting to narrow it down. I have one for sure model. I will get a Diamond Audio TDX 10" or 12" because it is hear dto be VERY clear and reliable due to its design. This is rated at 1000 watts RMS. I was wondering, what would be a good amp to run with this sub? a 1000 watt amp or 500 watt? I was going to go with a 500 watt amp but I don't want to under power it.

Also, which would you think would sounds better, crisper...the 10" or the 12"? I want it to be loud but not loud to the point where I break the rear view(my eclipse lol). I do want it to be a quick and hard hit, no flubbing. I want to feel it hit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Get two if you want loud and clear. Always. I went with the JL Audio Stealthbox which has two 10"w3v2's. It's a very clean box, and only requires 500 watts of power. **** of a lot of performance for the price too. Best decision I've made so far. Just another suggestion for your setup.

If you are going with one sub, I would get a 12". I personally like the sound of the 12" better, but one sub isn't going to break anything. My rearview doesn't even move/tilt with the subs full blast like it did in my old car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you mirror doesn't drop, it's not loud enough.....lol
My mirror instantly drops if I play the stereo loud. :clap:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I broke it right off the windshield in my last car. Took a chunk or glass out with the metal plate the rearview mounts on. It later split across the windshield. I used to go to sound competitions and compete in DB drags. I don't do that anymore, I want it loud...but not over the top.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by Fooch@Dec 1 2004, 10:03 AM
Ok, I think I am finally starting to narrow it down. I have one for sure model. I will get a Diamond Audio TDX 10" or 12" because it is hear dto be VERY clear and reliable due to its design. This is rated at 1000 watts RMS. I was wondering, what would be a good amp to run with this sub? a 1000 watt amp or 500 watt? I was going to go with a 500 watt amp but I don't want to under power it.

Also, which would you think would sounds better, crisper...the 10" or the 12"? I want it to be loud but not loud to the point where I break the rear view(my eclipse lol). I do want it to be a quick and hard hit, no flubbing. I want to feel it hit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on if you're going with a ported or sealed enclosure. If ported, either one is fine. If sealed, 2 10s or a single 12. If you can afford a 1000 wattt rms amp, get it. No sense underpower the sub if there's no need to.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Trust me, it's loud. I had 3 12's in my last car, and I used to do the same thing. This sound is more tight and compact, but it's definitly loud.

I personally wish they were 12's though. I think 12's sound a ton better.

And stu is right, no sense in underpowering. Go with 1000.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I think my rearview mirror holds on better because it's the one with the auto-dim and homelink. Maybe the mounts are stronger?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope so because I am getting a performance so I will have the same mirror. Thanks alot for the help guys. It looks like I will be getting, as far as the sub, a 12" Diamond Audio TDX with a Diamond Audio D5 1200.1 amp. Sound like it would be good. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts