Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '05 Z Enthusiast last week and found the site last night. I have spent a large amount of time reading and investigating what to do with the stereo. Any one have any suggestions as to what set of component speakers will work in the front door? I know that there is a depth problem with the window. Just how deep can the speaker be before the window becomes an issue? Also what tweaters will fit (if any) in the stock position? Also is it worth replacing the rear speakers? Any recommendations on decks? I am also considering putting in a sub, and would like to use the stock position that would normally have the bose sub. Has anyone tried this, what kind of sub did they use and where did they mount the amp? Finally, how difficult is it to DIY in an AT? I don't have a lot of experience in removing panels and dashboards and such so is this something I can do on my own if I take my time or should I spend the $350 or so to pay someone to install it? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. There is more information here than you will ever be able to read :)

Here is my front speaker installation:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:Fr...er_Installation

I used Infinity Kappa Perfect components and they *barely* fit.

Components will come with tweeters. The will require some type of custom mounting (see the link above)

If you have the time and tools, I would suggest doing it on your own. It is a good learning experience.

Putting a Sub in the stock location will require either building a custom box to fit, or completely sealing that compartment.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I got alpine tweeters that fit in the stock location, and alpine woofers too that fit in the doors. The area for the bose sub is pretty shallow from what I read......I didn't do the install so I can't tell ya. I think that it would be the same to install speakers whether you have 6MT or 5AT :dunno:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
thanks Jinxxy, unfortunately the Stereo wiki section is a mess.. i have not had time to work on it..but there is information there..

well the tutorials are good, but the FAQs are scattered.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Also is it worth replacing the rear speakers?

I wouldn't bother with the rear speakers, they have such low volume coming out of them it wouldn't really be worth it.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the rear speakers, they have such low volume coming out of them it wouldn't really be worth it.
+1...just disable the rear spakers...they muddle the soundstage anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that was a fast response, I think I will try and do this myself. Okay, just a few more questions, first I noticed in the head unit installation tutorial that it say that AT require additional steps. Any idea what those steps are? I would like to know before I have taken apart half of my car. Second has anyone tried to build a custom box or seal the factory Bose hole, and if so is there a tutorial out there? I guess my other option would be to by a custom box for behind the cross-bar, but I would pefer to use the space of something that is already not being use rather than take up valuable trunk space.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The sub box is a challenging project, not impossible by any means but challenging. I used a combination of fiberglass and wood to build mine and I thought it sounded great. There is no tutorial that I know of, but if you pm me, I will give you my contact info and can walk you thru the steps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts