Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just got done installing my Cusco strut brace.......the first of four steps towards making the Z more daily driver friendly on the rought potholed inner city roads i commute on everyday to and from work

Was a pretty easy install, a little fiddly positioning the brace as there is only a bee's dick of clearance bw where the K&N intake tube places the MAF and the brace itself

Looks dead sexy in the engine bay, i did have to give it a metal polish though to pass the TPIACE look of approval.........now just waiting for my stainless steel bolt kit from z-enterprises and the engine bay will be complete. Actually i would like to replace the stock coolant hose with a braided item, are they even available?

Took it for a test drive and i cant really notice a huge difference in cornering. Though over a few bad expansion joints on an elevated road (Kings way passing under Crown for the Melbournians) it did feel noticeably softer and less crashy

Steps 2, 3 and 4 are being shipped atm, and will be a set of Tanabe NF210 springs, Tokico Dspec adjustable shocks, and my 19" Volks (that ive been waiting for for 2 months now) with Yokohama Advan V103 tyres

Cant wait to get these installed and get rid of the horrible suspension crash and harsh low speed ride......should be about a week wait now

I read that the Tanabe's take about a week to settle, do u guys think i should drive around a week with the springs and shocks on the stock rims, then fit the 19s and get it all aligned? Or just do it all at once. My mate will be doing the spring/shock install, so its not too much of a hassle

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
:thumbsup: Looking good! And the other parts sound like they're going to work out great. I don't think it would wear the tires enough for you to notice for that week before you get it aligned.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The new strut brace looks great but why would a different strut brace make any handling difference compared to the stock brace, especially considering the stock brace is pre-tensioned?

Also, how would 19s improve the stock "crash and harsh low speed ride"? I went from 17s to 18s and noticed considerably more harshness, I am not sure I understand how even less sidewall will help this.

Just trying to understand.
Chris

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris im fitting 19" gold volks regardless

one of the main contributors to the crash are the sidewalls on the stock Bridgestone tyres (have u noticed the horrible road noise on rough roads), the Yoki's are a far superior constructed tyre, and on our local HSVs pushing in excess of 1700kg, they are getting no crash on 19" rims

the softer springs and adjustable shocks will then allow to me tune how firm or soft i want the ride. Ive driven a Z with eibach springs on stock shocks and the ride was a 300% improvement, and the eibachs have an even higher peak rate than the Tanabes

whether the brace helps is debateable, it may just be a placebo like grounding wires. But it looks hot, and i wanted it :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sam,

What profile tyres are you getting? Since installing the 19" wheels I have not noticed any increase in ride harshness on standard suspension setup. this may be due to the softer suspension settings on the roadster compared with the Track model.

For some reason 275/35 R19 tyres are hard to get. I was going to 30 series tyres on the rear initially, but after seeing the difference between the 30 and 35 series side by side, I wanted the 35s, simply because it fills the rear guards alot fuller and nicer.

Anyhow, the cusco strut brace looks cool. I look forward to seeing photos of your further mods!

Matt

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt ive bought 245/35 front and 275/35 rear........my wheels are 19x8.5 front and 9.5 rear

yes those sizes are rare, which is why i left a deposit over the phone at traction tyres to secure them as he only had 3 sets left in the country, and GuyK took the other set

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The new strut brace looks great but why would a different strut brace make any handling difference compared to the stock brace, especially considering the stock brace is pre-tensioned?
Chris,

It won't..... unless the driver is a PURE PROFESSIONAL, then yeah.. he MIGHT feel JUST A LITTLE BIT of difference, else a larger strut brace is mainly for the bling effect...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks dead sexy in the engine bay
I am sorry, but am I the only one that finds this comment slightly worrying? Strut brace = sexy? Dude, I feel sorry for your girlfriend, she must really struggle to fulfill all your "metal fantasies". :nana:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts