Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been months and I haven't been able to solve this problem yet. I think the steering in my car suddenly got a lot heavier than it used to be, especially when driving slow and trying to park and stuff. It is mainly an issue under 10mph. Seems like it takes way more effort than it used to, to turn. I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't find any problems. Tempted to take it to another dealership. Don't know what to do.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Have you put wider tires on your Z?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
You probably have a leak in your steering system, more than likely a bad or cracked hose. Check them all out. You might also want to put some additive fluid that helps the rubber hoses. I had a problem like that in the 300ZX and found something that basically cured my steering problem.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Has the car been making any weird noises? Does it leak on the driveway? Have you checked the fluid level? If you answer yes to the first two questions, I'm not sure what the problem is.

If the fluid is leaking somewhere, the level will drop to a point where the pump will begin to make noises. This damages the pump and may increase steering effort.

·
Premium Member
2006 350 Z Grand Touring
7 Posts
I know this is a pretty old thread but I have a similar issue with my 2006. Just had the fluid drained and filled with new and it seems better but not like it was about three months ago. Just sent off for an additive to see if that helps. No leaks, stock tires and no frame or steering linkage damage. Open to ideas short of a new pump!

·
Super Moderator
1,282 Posts
Sounds strange, but check your code reader for codes under the BCM (body control module) section. If the seals in your PS rack are leaking, your Z's diagnostic system can detect it.

·
Premium Member
2006 350 Z Grand Touring
7 Posts
Tnx. No leaks or fluid loss, just lack of maintenance. I do have some EX120 additive that is supposed to do the trick. Will get it in this week and let everyone know how it works...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts