Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of had the steering wheel start peeling at the top. It's really getting to me, every time i drive it it leaves all this black stuff on my palms :banghead:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Mine does it too. Brought it to the dealer and they basically said tuff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks...I still have to take mine in for the seats, rear axle, and some other weird noise from the rear suspension...maybe they can do something about the steering wheel while they're at it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have any of had the steering wheel start peeling at the top. It's really getting to me, every time i drive it it leaves all this black stuff on my palms :banghead:
I have that exact problem. is it not covered under warranty? if not how much would it cost to replace the entire wheel?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I have known people that had the same thing happen and have it covered under warranty :dunno: Seems like it would be covered, how can you make a steering wheel peel? Unless your exhaust is the cause and they deny your claim b/c of mods :rolf2: :lmfao:

·
Registered
99 Posts

My steering wheel was splitting in three places.

Nissan National and two Nissan dealers refused to replace the steering wheel during the 36 month warranty period, stating it was "an appearance problem"

I contacted three different Nissan dealers in the Atlanta area and was quoted a cost of $850 for the steering wheel plus installation by all three.

Needless to say I was somewhat embittered by Nissans lack of desire to correct the problem, though based on previous poor warranty service not surprised, and extremely surprised by the cost I was quoted for the replacement.

I waited until the car was no longer in warranty and purchased a replacement steering wheel, from a "Miami Used Auto Parts" source for $140, and replaced it myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have known people that had the same thing happen and have it covered under warranty :dunno: Seems like it would be covered, how can you make a steering wheel peel? Unless your exhaust is the cause and they deny your claim b/c of mods :rolf2: :lmfao:

Nissan North America and dealers state "appearance only" and refuse.

Perhaps if you were willing to fight them they would THEN claim it was the users fault.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
My car is only a week old...so I haven't had this problem yet.

...but, I did have that problem with a civic, and I have been worrying about the same thing happening in this car. Luckily, I hated the feeling in my civic, and changed my driving position a little so that I grab the steering wheel towards the bottom during casual driving. I had to change it a little again when I got the Z since the bottom center is not open.

...I'm hoping that a mixture of that, and keeping direct sunlight off of it for long periods of time will keep the wheel in good condition.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I think this would be an opportune time to replace the factory 'leather' with a different color stitching. I was thinking about this 'mod' the other day.

Just wondering how that's done...because I know people have done it, and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think this would be an opportune time to replace the factory 'leather' with a different color stitching. I was thinking about this 'mod' the other day.

Just wondering how that's done...because I know people have done it, and it looks awesome.
I agree...Actually, thats a really good idea for ones in that situation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My car is only a week old...so I haven't had this problem yet.

...but, I did have that problem with a civic, and I have been worrying about the same thing happening in this car. Luckily, I hated the feeling in my civic, and changed my driving position a little so that I grab the steering wheel towards the bottom during casual driving. I had to change it a little again when I got the Z since the bottom center is not open.

...I'm hoping that a mixture of that, and keeping direct sunlight off of it for long periods of time will keep the wheel in good condition.
My splitting was in the bottom left quadrant.

My Z is garaged at home and is in a covered parking garage at work - it has never spent large amounts of time exposed to the elements.

I really think the damage was done by the dealer when they were working on it - but of course could never prove it.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
:lmfao: probably true

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I had to get my steering wheel replaced within the first 6 months but the dealer took care of it without any questions. Best of all, I never had any problems with the replacement wheel.

Sorry to hear that not all dealers are treating it the same way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are people that have had no problems getting theirs replaced....

link1

link2

link3

link4

link5

:dunno: Maybe you should press the issue...
Gee thanks for all the info!

Guess it depends on the dealer more than Nissan NA, unfortunately at the time my problem occured I wasn't dealing with decent Nissan dealers.

Anyway it is a mute point in my case since, I gave up on the Atlanta Nissan Dealers 5 months ago and replaced it myself.

Since I had to go all the way through BBB Autoline and arbitration to get a defective rear view mirror replaced, I simply found it simpler to buy and replace the steering wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts