Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...my Z has been making brake metal griding sound when im driving between 30-45mph. it sounds more like when your break pads(Brembo are all worn out. but the dealer has confirmed that i still have 50%(front) and 70%(rear). so i dont think it's my break pads. One of my friends told me that it might be caused by nasty break powder built up in brembo's. and one more thing...when my car is idling...especially for more than a few minutes, it make a sound that almost sound like a little back-fire. It doesnt make that noise constantly but every 8-10 seconds. Do any of you have the same symptoms w/ your car? HELP! :banghead:

what would the best rpm to shift @? since it's supposed to redline at 6600rpm. I usually shift at 6400...what do you guys think about that???

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. Shifting - you are right on the money. With the Z, due to gearing, you always shift as close to redline as possbile without smacking the RPM limiter.

2. Backfire - this happens to a lot of people. Usually, it is described as rough idle since the RPM needle moves around a lot. I had this symptom and it was solved with a new alternator. My stock one died and was replaced under warranty. Since then, I have not had an issue. Most don't know what the cause is and I doubt everyone is suffering from a bad alternator.

3. Brakes - Tough one. Your best bet is to do a full cleaning and inspection. Go over the caliper and all other parts with break cleaner. Rub some into the rotors too. You might even take the stop of removing the rotors and sanding them lightly with 150 grit. Then, remount everything and re-bed the break pads. After that, if you still have a noise, then it is definitely not dust/dirt/grime build-up. Might you have a piece of dirt stuck between the pad and the rotor? Have you noticed any scoring on the rotor surface (check both sides of the rotor)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts