Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm really looking at purchasing a lighter flywheel and clutch combo. I have two setups I'm interested in:
  • JWT Light Weight Flywheel and ACT Performance Street Clutch Kit
  • 8lb Tilton Flywheel & Clutch Package
I'm looking for any info/opinions as to which is better (and why you think so, would help too). The two setups are priced rougly the same at Performance Nissan Parts at ~$1000.00. Does anyone know if these kits require extra items not included in the packages? Will the ACT clutch simply bolt onto the JWT flywheel? Are there any issues with certain clutches not fitting certain flywheels or do they all fit together since they are all for the 350Z?

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ok, I'm really looking at purchasing a lighter flywheel and clutch combo. I have two setups I'm interested in:
  • JWT Light Weight Flywheel and ACT Performance Street Clutch Kit
  • 8lb Tilton Flywheel & Clutch Package
I'm looking for any info/opinions as to which is better (and why you think so, would help too). The two setups are priced rougly the same at Performance Nissan Parts at ~$1000.00. Does anyone know if these kits require extra items not included in the packages? Will the ACT clutch simply bolt onto the JWT flywheel? Are there any issues with certain clutches not fitting certain flywheels or do they all fit together since they are all for the 350Z?

Thanks! :cheers:

you should be fine with either setup interms of fitment. The tilton would need to be used together, however the JWT flywheel shoudl be able to be used with any clutch that is an oem replacement. If you go JWT, I would go with the JWT clutch as well - and it should only be around 800 bucks. The tilton will have a much steaper learning curve, but should also be more noticable. That said, if you go FI, the JWT will be most likely all you need, however you wouldn't want to pair the tilton with FI.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
What are the cost differences? And are there any other choices out there? Why did you choose only these?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
FYI,

Tilton clutches are very loud and will always rattle. Be prepared for increased chatter due to the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the cost differences? And are there any other choices out there? Why did you choose only these?
I really just went by all I know: "Less weight is better", "More clamping force than stock", and then brand. I don't know a lot of details about flywheel/clutches, just the basics and the physics behind them. Things like failure rates, wear rates, ease of driving, assembly, kit completeness, etc, are completely unknown to me, so that's why I posted this here.

There seems to be a quite a few choices, but I know many people speak well of JWT, ACT and I've read a few good things about the Tilton setup. Although, the main reason I like the thought of the tilton is that 8lbs (!!!!!). It would really move some HP to the wheels, but I'm a bit worried about "normal traffic" driving issues and wear. I've also read a couple of posts about the Tilton flywheel wearing out quickly because it's so thin (???). Don't know if it's true, though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I really just went by all I know: "Less weight is better", "More clamping force than stock", and then brand. I don't know a lot of details about flywheel/clutches, just the basics and the physics behind them. Things like failure rates, wear rates, ease of driving, assembly, kit completeness, etc, are completely unknown to me, so that's why I posted this here.

There seems to be a quite a few choices, but I know many people speak well of JWT, ACT and I've read a few good things about the Tilton setup. Although, the main reason I like the thought of the tilton is that 8lbs (!!!!!). It would really move some HP to the wheels, but I'm a bit worried about "normal traffic" driving issues and wear. I've also read a couple of posts about the Tilton flywheel wearing out quickly because it's so thin (???). Don't know if it's true, though.
did you contact blacktrack (ryan)? he ran the tilton and could give you better feedback than we can speculate on.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
did you contact blacktrack (ryan)? he ran the tilton and could give you better feedback than we can speculate on.
Let us know what Ryan says.

I was also leaning more towards the Tilton setup, but do not want my car sound like it is about to blow up or fall apart.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Let us know what Ryan says.

I was also leaning more towards the Tilton setup, but do not want my car sound like it is about to blow up or fall apart.

even the jwt flywheel will chatter. I run the spec aluminum flywheel and there is noticable chatter at low RPMS and on decel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would recommend driving a Tilton before you plunk the $$ down. I've driven both types, and they are downright obnoxious to drive. Can you get used to it? Sure - but the decrease in driveability was not worth the modest realistic difference in performance unless you are building an all out track day car

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I would recommend driving a Tilton before you plunk the $$ down. I've driven both types, and they are downright obnoxious to drive. Can you get used to it? Sure - but the decrease in driveability was not worth the modest realistic difference in performance unless you are building an all out track day car

Adam,

what are your thoughts on the ATS twin disc carbon?

This is the clutch I have been considering. I am also looking for info on the ORC.. Any comments?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Can anyone else with the JWT flywheel chime in? Can it be installed w/o an aftermarket clutch?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can anyone else with the JWT flywheel chime in? Can it be installed w/o an aftermarket clutch?

yes, you should be able to install it with an oem clutch ->

But, What would be your reasoning behind wanting to isntall it on an OEM clutch?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the JWT set up, but I couldn't tell you if you could do the stock clutch with the FW. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JWT! Some people don't like the chatter (what little there actually is) but I barely notice it at all and I think it was a big plus to have with my new found boost. The stock flywheels was around 32lbs and the JWT was 14 (i think) the thing rev's unelievably quick and the pedal feel is much better than stock. If I had to do it again I would without a doubt go JWT!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
yes, you should be able to install it with an oem clutch ->

But, What would be your reasoning behind wanting to isntall it on an OEM clutch?
:dunno: Was just wondering if it would work. Didn't know how it would affect the performance of the tranny.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:dunno: Was just wondering if it would work. Didn't know how it would affect the performance of the tranny.
Dave, I don't think it's so much a performance issue as it is a money issue. I think most feel that if you are going to go to the trouble of removing the flywheel, you might as well replace the clutch while you are at it. Unless, of course, you have your own tools, lift and enough experience to call it an "easy" mod. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Dave, I don't think it's so much a performance issue as it is a money issue. I think most feel that if you are going to go to the trouble of removing the flywheel, you might as well replace the clutch while you are at it. Unless, of course, you have your own tools, lift and enough experience to call it an "easy" mod. :cheers:
Money is always an issue, but I was more curious as to how the JWT fw functions with the OEM clutch. But you are right in the fact that we might as well replace the clutch with something 'better.'

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the JWT Light Weight Flywheel and ACT Performance Street Clutch Kit and I love it. There is a noticable difference between the shift points, and stiffness, but It didnt take much getting use to. It is less forgiving than the stock clutch, but when u drop it - it grips :Bolt: ... I think from now on my first mods will include the lightweight flywheel and prob clutch, when you rev the engine you'll notice its much more responsive and quick. It is a challenge shifting smoothly, but I am working on it.

The combo does have a bit of rattle to it at idle when ur not on the clutch (apparantly normal). I think it can get annoying, but I am use to it now, it just sounds like something is lose. Also noticeable when rev-braking. Maybe for others its not as bad?

Furthermore, I think if you are going to change the flywhell to imporve performance, upgrade the clutch and get something that will actually grip when you want it to. I use to make high rpm shifts in my rsx-s all the time, and hated not having the **** clutch grip, I could feel that loss in power, and even when i drove a few Z's i noticed the same, just not as bad. From their website description it says it is made to also accept JWT performance clutches, so im assuming it can also be used w/ oem clutch. I am sure if you call a knowledgable Dealer or just contact JWT... I guess If you like the feel of the clutch as it is, and want it to be as smooth and easy as possible, just stay stock, but considering you want performance I would just do both so you can take full advantage of the mod.

Good luck with you decision, just remember that the car won't be as newb friendly, and a little meaner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anybody a fan of the unorthodox flywheel? I was considering getting one of these. Are the Unorthodox flywheels better than JWT or visa versa? What clutches will work with Unorthodox?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts