Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a difference of 3kmh between my digital speedo on the dashtop and the speedo in the binnacle. The dashtop is the higher reading.

Doesn't seem like much, but could be critical!

Does anyone else have the problem and do you know which one is the most accurate?

cheers
coatsie

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
coatsie,

I got the same thing too..... Digital is more accurate than analog, that's why you will see a difference there... When you read the Motor mag, they will normally state down the "actual speed" (which is our digital speedo reading) and the analog speed of a particular car when they do the car test...

There is nothing to worry about mate... so that's why normally I read the digital speedo rather than the dashtop because it is more accurate and also A LOT easier to read than the one behind the steering wheel.

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Richie

Thanks. I've always relied on the dashtop because its easier to see and also the more conservative of the two. No point being ticketed unnecessarily!

cheers
coatsie

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm so used to using the digital one i feel lost without it!

There is a difference ...even when cruising.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use the digital as well, the analog is lower and kind of off-center, I think thats the reason for the lower readings. When I use the digital I don't have to look down as much when I'm driving. The analog one is usually hidden behind the steering wheel or my hand when I'm driving on a curvy road.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
my digital and analog is spot on

i never look at the analog anymore, the digital is so much easier to read

btw anyone ever seen 1km/h on their digital speedo, i cant make it happen

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW neither readout is actually accurate, we have a GPS speedo and even with standard size rear tyres the digital readout is about 4% higher than actual speed.....

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that.

One thing I'm suspecting is that Nissan assumes most of its customers are idiots.

When I look at the needle when my "gauge" reads 110km/hr, the speedo needle lines right up with the 110km/hr line from my angle of view. So if I was to not allow for parralax, both my speedo and my gauge would have the same reading.

And there are plenty of people out there who aren't particularly bright, and take everything they see at face value, so this idea might be crazy enough to work (at avoid lawsuits for "under-reading" speedos).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
When you read the Motor mag, they will normally state down the "actual speed" (which is our digital speedo reading) and the analog speed of a particular car when they do the car test.

As other people have mentioned, neither speedo in the car is 100% accurate. The magazines use GPS or other perfromance-meter equipment to measure the 'actual' speed and that is what they will list in the the mags.

The accuracy of the speedo (either one) depends very much on your tyres, the thread depth and also the pressures you're running in them. That's why the 'error' will be slightly different for everyone. Me, just yesterday, with barely-legal-depth rear OME tyres at the back was 2.5kph too optimistic when the digital-speedo sowed at 116kph (ie. true speed was 113.5kph).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts