Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for such wonderful advice/insight provided in the forums! I am the new proud owner of a 2005 350Z Coupe and I have learned a great deal from the many informative posts.

I am looking to completely replace my factory stereo and was hoping to gain some advice and information. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1) I have tried several million sites to figure out what size speakers fit into the factory settings on the doors, to no avail. Does anyone know or know where to find these dimensions? I have been using the "What fits your car" option on several audio sites but I want specific figures, if possible.

2) I have read several suggestions here that the rear speakers are not worth replacing. Has anyone actually had a positive effect by upgrading these?

3) I have been eyeballing the Infinity Basslink II. I am aiming to keep my interior as hardware free as possible. I live in an apartment complex and thus I am forced to keep my baby in a carport..which is not much of a theft deterrent! Has anyone achieved excellent bass using other "stealth" mods?

I appreciate any help you vet's can give this newcomer!

~Court

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 10:26 AM

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for such wonderful advice/insight provided in the forums!  I am the new proud owner of a 2005 350Z Coupe and I have learned a great deal from the many informative posts. 

I am looking to completely replace my factory stereo and was hoping to gain some advice and information.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1) I have tried several million sites to figure out what size speakers fit into the factory settings on the doors, to no avail.  Does anyone know or know where to find these dimensions?  I have been using the "What fits your car" option on several audio sites but I want specific figures, if possible.

2) I have read several suggestions here that the rear speakers are not worth replacing.  Has anyone actually had a positive effect by upgrading these?

3) I have been eyeballing the Infinity Basslink II.  I am aiming to keep my interior as hardware free as possible.  I live in an apartment complex and thus I am forced to keep my baby in a carport..which is not much of a theft deterrent!  Has anyone achieved excellent bass using other "stealth" mods?

~Court
[snapback]133947[/snapback]​

1. 6.5" by 2 7/8" deep with spacer ring. I would recommend cdt audio for the components, there are also great product from Infinity, and JL. The factory tweeter is a 3/4".
2. rear speakers will throw a otherwise decent soundstage off. I don't think they are needed.
3. A Jl 10w1 in the factory sub location sounds great but is a little tricky with the box build. If you go this route I can provide you with a drawing of the box. Much deeper bass than any all in one I have heard but it does require dynmat to keep the rattles to a minimum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much, Fillup! I have been looking everywhere for that info!

I take it 5 1/2 are the best for the doors?

Seems to be the consensus that that the rears are useless. At least it will save me some coin! :clap:

I don't think I have a factory sub location as I do not have the Bose system. I believe it would be located in the spare tire area?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
the factory sub only comes with the Bose system. It is located behind the driver's seat in the "blank" panel of the non-bose systems. you pop that panel out and see it still has the Sub mounting bracket..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 12:26 PM
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for such wonderful advice/insight provided in the forums!  I am the new proud owner of a 2005 350Z Coupe and I have learned a great deal from the many informative posts. 

I am looking to completely replace my factory stereo and was hoping to gain some advice and information.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1) I have tried several million sites to figure out what size speakers fit into the factory settings on the doors, to no avail.  Does anyone know or know where to find these dimensions?  I have been using the "What fits your car" option on several audio sites but I want specific figures, if possible.

2) I have read several suggestions here that the rear speakers are not worth replacing.  Has anyone actually had a positive effect by upgrading these?

3) I have been eyeballing the Infinity Basslink II.  I am aiming to keep my interior as hardware free as possible.  I live in an apartment complex and thus I am forced to keep my baby in a carport..which is not much of a theft deterrent!  Has anyone achieved excellent bass using other "stealth" mods?

~Court
[snapback]133947[/snapback]​

I just got my 05 Z also. I am trying to decide what headunit I should chose. I am looking to adding the custom sub box with 10"(punch subs). I am considering a high powered head unit with sub controls for a separate amp(rockford). I would like at least 50w per channel through the existing speakers. Seen anything interesting?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grats on the new ride, Tanz!

Well, I have been doing some research on head units...I will tell you, no deck will push 50w RMS to 4 speakers. The most powerful amp deck I have found is the Panasonic CQ-C9901U. It offers somewhere around 35wx4 RMS. It's a great looking deck but alittle on the pricey side. I would suggest that you DO NOT buy your HU based solely on it's power. Buy one that offers you the most features you enjoy. You can always amp the speakers down the road.

Some other nice decks I am considering:

Panasonic CQ-C9901U
The Panasonic CQ-C9901U will impress you with its performance and wow you with its amzing full-color display. The high definition OEL (Organic ElectroLuminescent) display features 512 colors and full-motion graphics. To complement its awesome appearance, the CQ-C9901U is packed with an impressive array of features including digital amplifier with a mind-blowing 70W x 4 (max), SQ9 (9-Band Sound Quality) equalizer with variable center frequencies, MP3/WMA playback with ID3 Tag readout, three sets of preamp outputs with variable 2-way crossover and subwoofer level control, dual auxiliary inputs, and DVD/CD changer control. Panasonic’s 3-beam hologram pickup ensures flawless CD playback while the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) tuner allows for the ultimate in radio reception. The CQ-C9901U is XM-ready and comes complete with a wireless remote.
Features

CD / MP3 / WMA Playback
Removable Slide-Down Faceplate
Motorized Front Panel Disc Loading
Metal Finish Volume Knob
Performance Digital High Power Amp (70W x 4 max)
CD-R / CD-RW Compatibility
Full-Color HD 3DDM (High Definition 3D Dot Matrix) Display
512-Color Organic Electroluminescent (OEL)
High Resolution Graphics
Full-Motion Animation
Customizable Background Scenes
Upload Your Own Images from a CD-R
Download Pictures from Panasonic's Website
CD-Text and ID3 Tag Readout
Super Bright Blue Button Illumination with Dimmer
Multi-Mode Spectrum Analyzer
5V Front & Rear Preamp Outputs with Adjustable High-Pass Filter
5V Subwoofer Preamp Output with Adjustable Low-Pass Filter
SBC-SW (Super Bass Controlled SubWoofer)
SRS® CS Auto (Circle Surround Automotive) Sound Processor
9-Band Sound Quality (SQ9) Equalizer with Variable Center Frequencies
3-Beam Hologram CD Pickup
One-Chip Digital Circuit
1-Bit Digital-To-Analog (D/A) Converter
Multi-Stage Noise Shaping (MASH)
Digital Servo Optical Control
Track Scan, Search, Repeat, & Random Play
DVD/CD Changer Control
Blinking Security Light
Anti-Shock Floating Mechanism
Auto Loading Mechanism
18 FM /6 AM Presets and Preset Scan
XM Satellite Radio Ready
Radio DSP (Digital Signal Processing)
Dual Rear Auxiliary Inputs (one input takes the place of disc changer)
Included Wireless Remote
Step-Up Features from the CQ-C9701U:
Color 3DDM (3D Dot Matrix) Display
Super Bright OEL Display with Dimmer
512-Color high definition Graphics

MP3 Player Specifications

Anti Theft: Removable Faceplate
Preamp Outputs: 3 sets
Preamp Output Voltage: 5 volts
CD Changer Controls: Yes
Remote Control: Yes
RMS Power: 35W x 4
Peak Power: 70W x 4
CD Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
FM Mono Sensitivity: 11 dBf
CD Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 95 dB
Amp Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.02 %

Clarion DXZ955MC
From the world's first transistor car radio, to in-car computer and navigation systems, Clarion leads the way in technology and innovation. One look at the new DXZ955MC and you'll know Clarion is at the cutting edge. This gorgeous, stainless steel, motorized detachable face deck plays MP3 and WMA files and features an amazing Optimedia touch panel display. The high resolution dot matrix LCD display responds to your slightest touch for the ultimate in control. Behind the futuristic face is some of the most advanced sound processing technology you've ever heard. Clarion's one-touch Music Catcher CD recording technology enables the DXZ955MC to store up to 6 CDs (when in LP mode) worth of music. Just load a CD and press the “record” button, and your music is stored and ready for CD-less, skip-free playback. For higher quality music recording, the DXZ955MC can be switched to “High Quality” mode, which allows for up to 4 CDs of music storage. Clarion's exclusive AC-Processor IV decodes standard audio sources, such as CD or MP3, into full Dolby Pro Logic II 5-channel surround sound. You can even digitally adjust the time alignment and Virtual Space Enhancer (VSP) for amazing acoustic effects and pinpoint imaging accuracy. 24-bit DAC with Anti-Distortion Filter ensures superior sound with enhanced clarity and localization. The DXZ955MC features an integrated 212-watt (peak) MOSFET power amplifier to deliver unyielding power output and superior linearity. The DXZ955MC is designed to be part of a superb auto sound system, with six 4-volt preamp outputs and 2-way crossovers. The Magna Bass EX feature, designed specifically for superior bass response, gives you a tight, heavier sound. Other features include 3-band parametric equalizer, 3 screen savers and wallpapers with programmable messages, rear auxiliary input, and iPod interface so you can unplug your headphones and plug your iPod into the DXZ955MC (CeNET iPod Interface sold separately). The DXZ955MC is also CeNET-equipped for control of an optional DVD changer, TV tuner, Sirius satellite radio tuner, or 6-disc CD changer. A handy wireless remote is included.
Features

Optimedia Display
Touch Panel Control with Soil-Resistant Finish
Full-Color 4.2” TFT Display
Menu-Driven GUI
16-Gradiation Steps
Screen Savers
User-Programmable Message Information
Animated Spectrum Analyzer
Adjustable Display Contrast & Automatic Dimmer
AC-Processor IV Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
Dolby Pro Logic II Decoding
Virtual Space Enhancer (VSP) Reduces Standing Waves
3-Band Parametric Equalizer with Presets
Digital Time Alignment with 5 Positioning Points
Anti-Distortion Filter (ADF) for Improved Clarity
24-Bit D/A Converter (DAC)
Music Catcher Digital Recorder
Record Right From Your CDs
Stores Up To 6 CDs Worth of Music
HQ & LP Record Modes
CD-Text Record & Display
Sort By Title / Folder
6-Channel RCA Preamp Outputs
Front, Rear, Center, & Subwoofer Outputs
Selectable High-Pass Filters (50 / 80 / 120 Hz)
Selectable Low-Pass Filters (50 / 80 / 120 Hz)
Subwoofer Level Control
4-Volt Gold-Plated RCA Connectors
Built-In Amplifier Bypass Circuit (AMP Canceler)
CD / MP3 / WMA File Playback from CD-R or CD-RW
Detachable, Motorized, Stainless Steel Faceplate
Rotary Encoder
24 Station Presets (18 FM / 6 AM)
IR Remote Control
2-Channel Auxiliary Input
iPod Control for 3rd generation and newer iPods (requires EA1251B CeNET iPod Interface, available separately)
CeNET Control of Optional DVD / CD Changer, TV Tuner, or Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner
Phone Mute Input

Preamp Output Voltage: 4 volts
RMS Power: 18W x 4
Peak Power: 53W x 4
CD Frequency Response: 5-20,000 Hz
FM Mono Sensitivity: 9 dBf
CD Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100 dB
Amp Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.03 %

Kenwood KDC-MP928
Prepare to be amazed and analyzed! The KDC-MP928 is a top-notch MP3/WMA/AAC CD receiver that’s equipped with Kenwood’s G-Analyzer (Graphic Motion Analyzer). Now you can feel and see your vehicle’s handling and gravitational characteristics while cranking the tunes. The G-Analyzer features 3 types of displays: Lateral-G display, Real time G-Meter, and G-Counter, that transforms gravity forces into graphics and text data. There is even a stop watch function that starts automatically upon sensing movement of the vehicle. Perfect for the gearhead that still appreciates an awesome sound system. The KDC-MP928 also features a large, 4096-color OEL display and easy to use rotary encoder and jog control knob so you can control and observe the G-Analyzer with ease and in plain view. The KDC-MP928 has CD changer/Music Keg™ controls and includes Kenwood's exclusive System Q equalizer with factory presets so you can custom tailor the sound to your preferences. The KDC-MP928 also features Kenwood’s System E advanced crossover system. Have a ton of iTunes music files at home? The KDC-MP928 lets you enjoy those files in your vehicle! Designed to play AAC files and Apple’s iTunes downloads, this feature allows you to play the iTunes .m4a file format. The ACDrive (Advanced Codec Drive) makes management of those compressed audio files simple. ACDrive includes PMM (Phatnoise Media Manager) software for file editing, ripping, playlist management, and much more. With ACDrive and PMM, your new KDC-MP928 can read back voice indexed file information while you browse your favorite tunes! The KDC-MP928 also features installer/user/backup memory of audio settings and dual zone source with dedicated volume control. The CD section features scan, random, and repeat functions, as well as 8 times oversampling for unparalleled CD reproduction. Other features include 3 gold-plated preamp outputs, customized display, O.D.D. (Offset Dual Differential) D/A converter for enhanced sound quality, Sirius radio and HD radio controls (optional equipment required), iPod ready (interface available separately), rear auxiliary input, and wireless remote control. A CD-ROM with the Phatnoise Media Manager software is included.
Features

MP3 / WMA / AAC / CD Playback
4096-Color OEL Display
Auto-Slide Motorized Detachable Faceplate
G-Analyzer (Graphic Motion Analyzer)
Display lateral G-Forces
Rear-time or G-counter function
Motion-activated stop watch
Graphic and text readout
3 Display modes
Rotary Encoder & Jog Control Knob for Easy Operation
Display Customize Function
ACDrive (Advanced Codec Drive)
Voice Indexing of files and folders
Search by artist, album, genre, folder, or playlist
AAC / iTunes compatible
PhatNoise Media Manager software included
Rip, edit, and manage all your audio files
Built-In DSP
System Q 4-Band parametric equalizer with presets
Digital time alignment
Digital E’s advanced crossover system
SRS WOW digital effect
O.D.D. (Offset Dual Differential) D/A Converter for Enhanced Sound Quality
CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
CD Text with Disc Naming
Dual Zone Source with Dual Volume Control
Source Tone Memory
Installer / User / Backup Memory of Audio Setup
24 Radio Presets
Radio Station Naming
Sirius Satellite Radio Ready
HD Radio Ready
RDS (Radio Data System)
Rear Auxiliary Input
Wireless Remote Control
External Media Control – iPod Ready (iPod Interface KCA-iP500 sold separately)
CD Changer & Music Keg™ Control
3 Preamp Outputs with 5V Level
Step-Up Features from the Kenwood KDC-828:
4096-Color OEL Display
Gold-Plated Preamp Outputs

RMS Power: 22W x 4
Peak Power: 50W x 4
CD Frequency Response: 10-20,000 Hz
FM Mono Sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
CD Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 105 dB
Amp Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.01 %

Pioneer DEH-P9600MP
Prepare to be amazed! At first glance, the DEH-P9600MP appears to be a sleek, no-frills CD player. With a touch of a button, the brushed aluminum face motorizes down to reveal a second face! Best of all, the second face features Pioneer's cutting-edge Organic EL (OEL) display. The large secondary face's high-res display will amaze you with its full-motion, multicolor animated 3D graphics. There are even screensavers built-in! Pioneer’s newest Supertuner IIID ensures top-notch radio reception with digital signal processing. CD playback is also cutting-edge: AGC (Automatic Gain Control) ensures optimal CD tracking performance, and playback is compatible with CD-R and CD-RW, as well as MP3 and WMA files. The DEH-P9600MP is perfect for tweak-a-holics with its 13 band parametric equalizer, digital BBE sound processing, and built-in DSP with auto EQ and auto time alignment. The CD section also features disc-title memory, ID3 tag display, and CD Text decoder. The DEH-P9600MP uses Pioneer’s IP-Bus system for seamless interfacing with optional multi-disc changers, XM satellite tuners, and TV tuners. If you plan on using this receiver to power a set of speakers, Pioneer’s exclusive MOSFET50 amplifier will amaze you with its power output and performance. A 2-way crossover network with selectable frequencies is also built-in for the ultimate in upgrade flexibility. Pioneer’s Automatic Sound Levelizer reduces the effects of road noise so you’ll hear nothing but sweet tunes from your stereo. Comes complete with wireless remote and wired auto-DSP microphone.
Features

MP3 / WMA / WAV / CD Playback
Detachable Motorized Faceplate
Dual Displays with Front Panel LCD
CD-R and CD-RW Compatibility with ID3 and CD Text Display
Built-In DSP
13-Band Parametric Equalizer (Adjustable Level, Frequency, and Q Factor)
Easy EQ (EEQ) switches 5 Factory, 2 User EQ Presets (Super Bass, Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Flat, Custom 1, and Custom 2)
Source Custom EQ Memory (independent custom memory for each source)
Selectable Loudness Control (Low/Mid/High/Off)
Auto-EQ with Microphone
Digital BBE
Time Alignment with Auto Alignment Mode
NEW! BMX (Bit Media Expansion) Technology
Digital Compression for MP3 and WMA Playback
BMX1 Mode Enhances the Depth and Width of the Sound
BMX2 Mode Improves the Sense of Presence
Three Sets of 4-Volt RCA Preouts (Front, Rear, and Sub)
Front / Rear High-Pass Filter (50/80/125Hz, 12 dB/oct.)
Selectable Low-Pass Filter (50/80/125Hz, 18 dB/oct.)
Sub-Out Level (-12dB to +12dB) with Phase Control
IP-Bus System Control with 2 External Unit Control and Auxiliary Input (CD-RB10 or CD-RB20 required)
NEW! Advanced Organic EL Display
Full-motion, multicolor 3D graphic animations including screensavers
Spectrum analyzer display
Customizable background animations and pictures
Upload BMP, JPEG, and PNG images from CD-R
Enhanced clock mode & off (text only) mode
Adjustable brightness and contrast levels
Cellular Mute Capability (CD-CM1 required)
Disc Title Memory (48 Discs)
3-Beam Laser Pick-Up with AGC (Automatic Gain Control)
24-Bit Burr-Brown D/A Converter with 8x Oversampling
Anti-Shock CD Mechanism
Supertuner IIID with Digital Processing
Significantly Less Distortion Than An Ordinary Tuner
Increased Signal-To-Noise (S/N) Ratio
Reduced Multi-Path Noise
Improved Sensitivity and Stereo Separation
24-Station (18FM / 6AM) Presets
BSM (Best Station Memory)
Up / Down Seek with Selectable Local Tuning
Electronic Rotary Volume Control
MOSFET 50W x 4 (max)
XM Radio Ready
10-Key Slim Remote

Preamp Output Voltage: 4 volts
RMS Power: 20W x 4
FM Mono Sensitivity: 10 dBf
CD Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 94 dB
Amp Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1

JVC KD-SHX900
Experience the next generation of digital receiver with JVC's new SHX series. The sleek design compliments any style, and the cutting-edge technology will blow your mind. Not only does the KD-SHX900 have a smooth, clean control layout, over half of the faceplate is dominated by a gorgeous 256-color organic electroluminescent (OEL) display. The exclusive Personalized Image Capture Technology (PiCT) allows images and full motion video to be uploaded to the display from a CD-R or CD-RW. If that weren't enough, there's the latest HD Radio (High Definition Radio) tuner technology to receive seamless digital audio broadcasts in addition to conventional analog AM and FM. HD Radio uses digital signals to provide better sound quality with fewer drop-outs and no static. HD Radio's AM channels sound just as good or better than analog FM stations, while HD Radio FM channels have CD-quality digital sound. HD Radio availability varies from town to town, but most larger metropolitan cities have one or more HD Radio stations. HD Radio is definitely the future of free radio, but even plain ol' analog AM and FM benefit from JVC's new DiAS (Digital Intelligent Advanced Sensing) digital processing tuner for great reception. Your CDs full of MP3 or WMA files will sound better than ever, thanks to a new CC Converter that intelligently expands bitrate, frequency, and dynamic range for the ultimate in smoothness, reality, and presence. There's even built-in DSP, digital 7-band iEQ, and digital BBE high definition sound. Other features include CD changer control, Sirius satellite tuner control, three sets of 5V preamp outputs, and auxiliary input. Included PiCT software CD-ROM and a wireless remote round out this amazing package.
Features

CD / MP3 / WMA Playback
Motorized Slide-Down Detachable Face
256-Color Organic EL (OEL) Display
Personalized Image Capture Technology (PiCT)
Upload Pictures, Album Covers, & More
Load Images and Full Motion Video from a CD-R
Save Personalized Messages for Power On & Off
Link Images to Individual MP3 Folders
Create a Screensaver and 90-Image Slideshow
Customize the OEL Display
Download Images from JVC's Website
Built-In HD Radio Tuner
FM Digital with CD-Like Audio Quality
AM Digital with FM-Like Audio Quality
Reduced Drop-Outs & No Static
Data Services Including On-Demand Audio
No Monthly Fees
Click here to find digital HD Radio stations in your area
Audible Control Confirmation
Red Button Illumination
DiAS Digital Processing Tuner
CD Changer Control with Disc Naming
Sirius Satellite Tuner Control
CC Converter
Bit-Up Processing with Bitrate Expansion
Digital Filter with Frequency Upsampling
Dynamic Range Expansion
Advanced Multi-Bit DAC
Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
BBE Digital High Definition Sound
Digital iEQ Intelligent 7-Band Equalizer
7 Ambiance Modes with Variable Effect Level
3 Vehicle Types
4 Seating Positions
Dual 5-Volt Preamp Outputs
Subwoofer Output with Level Control
Selectable Subwoofer Crossover
Rear Auxiliary Input
Mosfet 50W x 4 (max) Amplifier
Full-Function Cross-Key Remote Control

RMS Power: 20W x 4
FM Mono Sensitivity: 11.3 dBf
CD Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 102 dB
Amp Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.8 %

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by WILD N CRA Z@Jul 19 2005, 11:28 AM

Thank you so much, Fillup!  I have been looking everywhere for that info!

I take it 5 1/2 are the best for the doors?

Seems to be the consensus that that the rears are useless.  At least it will save me some coin! :clap: 

I don't think I have a factory sub location as I do not have the Bose system.  I believe it would be located in the spare tire area?
[snapback]133990[/snapback]​

For the doors 6.5" are the size. As for head units, IMHO it doesn't make much of difference as long as you go with good quality and it has the features you need and want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tanz...I also just looked at some Eclipse HU's. While not as flashy as some of the above listed HU's, they are excellent for sound quality and control, post 8v preamps,GPS built in(add on ant gives full capability..w/o ant offers CD operational GPS),Satellite ready and E-ISERV capability. Pretty nifty features and in the $500-$600 range.

Good luck in the hunt!

~Court

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by TPIACE@Jul 21 2005, 02:16 AM
Guys whats the deepest length speaker u can fit in the doors and still keep the factory speaker grille?
[snapback]134986[/snapback]​

About 3" from what I have tried.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The Infinity Perfect 6.1 component speakers have a 2.75" mounting depth. Using the stock speaker as a spacer, these BARELY fit...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts