Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang
so i am planning my winter project for sound deadening and my question is this. what are my options:

dynamat
b quiet
or some stuff from home depot

1.cost is definately a factor. i think the dynamat extreme is close to 6 dollars per square foot. b quiet is almost three and the home depot stuff (yet to be named or priced out). does anyone have any suggestions or have they done sound proofing with the materials listed.

2. about how many square feet will i need to do the entire car, floor, doors, hatch etc.?

3. i am concerened about ease of application also.

4. can the same things used in soundproofing rooms be used in and automotive application? for example:
http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundproofing.html

thanks
mdzowner

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've never used either...

I have however used RAAMmat (http://www.raammat.com/). Great product and much cheaper than Dynamat. And seemed to work well. Installation was a pain in the ass, but is this stuff ever really "EASY"?

The only problem that I really ran into was the glue not holding up, but that could've been to the 120+ weather we were having in AZ.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK, well you will need about 80 sq. feet. That is one layer of Dynamate on the car. The places i put it on my car are:

*The Trunk lid under the plastics - About 4 sq. feet.
*The Trunk area, Beam, and Rear speakers/behind Beam fender well area - About 40 sq. feet.
*Both Doors - About 8 sq. feet. (4 sq. feet each door)
*Under the Seats and Floor boards up to pedals - About 16 sq. feet. (8 sq. feet each side driver/passanger)

*This next spot alot of people dont do. Behind the glove box and bose sub compartments. Lay some down on the metal under there. You will need to remove all that plastics and stuff to get back there. Also you can see more of the fender well extending down into those compartments and that is where noise comes through. Cover the bottom and side of those compartments. Most important the fender wells in there. - About 12 sq. feet will be used there.

Total 80 sq. feet.

If you go with dynamate you can buy 2 bulk packs of Dynamate Xtreame. Each pack has 36 sq. feet in it. So you have a total of 72 sq. feet with that. And buy a Door Kit of Dynamate Xtreame with 12 sq. feet in it. That gives you a total of 84 sq. feet. of Dynamate Xtreame. Any extra you can double up in areas you feel you may need it.

Cost......

Bulk pack of 36 sq. feet Dynamate Xtreame = $240 (x2=$480) you will need 2 packs
Door Kit of 12 sq. feet Dynamate Xtreame = $80

Total To Dynamate your car. = $560

Now on the subject of witch one is better...
Your on your own on that one. To me its personal prefrance and price. I went with Dynamate, Then i would say B-quite, Then your other brands out there.(not recomended). Dynamate Xtreame is hella sticky. It will stick really good. It is hella sharp too. The edges will cut you. Wear some gloves you will thank me later. Your hands will be all cut up. I learned the hard way. Not fun. Buy the Dnyamate roller too. It will help on getting the big sheets adheard good. For small areas you will need your hands.(Gloves) Make sure you get a good bond between the metal and dynamate. But dont push so hard that you flatten the dynamate to wear it is so flat you took away the absorbsion of the material.

Thats everything. Hope all gose well keep us posted. :irock:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its easy but, very time consumming. Plan on 2 to 3 days to do the whole car. One thing though. The plasctics need to be taken off in a certain order. Look at what peice overlaps the others so you dont brake anything. Everthing is snaps and clips except for the front areas under the stering wheel and on the pasanger side were the cup holder is and power outlet are. Those have some screws in them. Then there are some screws in the door panels. driver side is all snaps except for 2 screws under window control module. on pasnager side there is the same thing but 2 more screws in the handle. take off the silver plastic peice to remove those 2 screws. center console has 4 screws i think. and thats about it really. go for it i say it will be fun. If you have any questions let me know? i will be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ this company used to sponsor this site (although they never posted) They have paint on or spray on stuff that seems would go on much easier.. i have used dynamat a few times and everytime i swear i will never use it again... its a pain in the ass to put on cleanly.

I am going to try out the paint on kind and see what happens

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you going to try the Spectrum Sludge? And do you think it would help road noise if you just tried a product like this in the trunk?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've used roofing tape to do my car doors and spare tire tub. It work very well when used with a heat gun and good surfice prep. Roofing tape you ask? It's also called flash band, flash tape, or tar paper. Found at most hardware stores. Very inexpensive but very tacky. I would not use this material on really hot sections of your vehicle like your trunk lid and or roof. Never tried it but would hate to have tar drip on head liner and it soaks through.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I put in my under-strut sub box, I went with FAT-MAT. I have used Dynamate Xtreame before, and this stuff is basically its equivalent. It is VERY sticky though, so be careful when you put it on. I believe it goes for roughly $2 a sq foot, as low as $1 if you buy it in bulk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I put in my under-strut sub box, I went with FAT-MAT. I have used Dynamate Xtreame before, and this stuff is basically its equivalent. It is VERY sticky though, so be careful when you put it on. I believe it goes for roughly $2 a sq foot, as low as $1 if you buy it in bulk.
I've used Secondskin, Dynamat Extreme, and numerous other products on my Z. All of the mattings and liquids will do a fine job for dampening vibration from Subs but will do little to minimize road noise. That is not their purpose. Quiteing road noise is only possible using absorbers and barriers (the other two kinds of noise control that nobody seems to focus on). I didn't get a significant reduction in cabin db until after applying layers of acoustic foam and neoprene to the floorpan, cubby, some side panels, and trunk (in addition to 3 gallons of Secondskin Spectrum II, 50 sq ft of Dynamat Extreme). What you want to do is start with a dampener, followed by a layer of open-cell foam, followed by a layer of closed cell foam to trap

·
Registered
23 Posts
This might be a silly question, but about getting rid of road noise i have multiple questions. I am interested in sound proofing my car strictly for the purpose of getting rid of the road noise. Not sure if this is why people normally do it or if its normally done in relation to audio systems installed in the car. My Z is very loud on the interstate and if im trying to use bluetooth to talk is practically impossible because of all the road noise.

How much road noise does sound proofing actually eliminate?
Is it worth the money? Especially if i was to pay someone todo it?
Dannichols67 mentions using absorbers and barriers....is this different than normal dynamat?

Danni you live near savannah? haha =) want to make some extra cash?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have worked with a lot of sound deadners in the past the # 1 difference you will see is the ability to stay put with Dynamat Extreme if you are going to do doors or upside down peices don't wast your time with cheeper products they will all fall soon after install no matter how much you clean the area I personly use only The Extreame on my doors and rear hatch of both my cars but used generic brands on the floor ares with no know differnce. You get what you pay for in this case since you dont even have to clean the area for Extreme mat.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
OK, well you will need about 80 sq. feet. That is one layer of Dynamate on the car. The places i put it on my car are:
*The Trunk lid under the plastics - About 4 sq. feet.
*The Trunk area, Beam, and Rear speakers/behind Beam fender well area - About 40 sq. feet.
*Both Doors - About 8 sq. feet. (4 sq. feet each door)
*Under the Seats and Floor boards up to pedals - About 16 sq. feet. (8 sq. feet each side driver/passanger)
*This next spot alot of people dont do. Behind the glove box and bose sub compartments. Lay some down on the metal under there. You will need to remove all that plastics and stuff to get back there. Also you can see more of the fender well extending down into those compartments and that is where noise comes through. Cover the bottom and side of those compartments. Most important the fender wells in there. - About 12 sq. feet will be used there.
Total 80 sq. feet.
If you go with dynamate you can buy 2 bulk packs of Dynamate Xtreame. Each pack has 36 sq. feet in it. So you have a total of 72 sq. feet with that. And buy a Door Kit of Dynamate Xtreame with 12 sq. feet in it. That gives you a total of 84 sq. feet. of Dynamate Xtreame. Any extra you can double up in areas you feel you may need it.
Cost......
Bulk pack of 36 sq. feet Dynamate Xtreame = $240 (x2=$480) you will need 2 packs
Door Kit of 12 sq. feet Dynamate Xtreame = $80
Total To Dynamate your car. = $560
Now on the subject of witch one is better...
Your on your own on that one. To me its personal prefrance and price. I went with Dynamate, Then i would say B-quite, Then your other brands out there.(not recomended). Dynamate Xtreame is hella sticky. It will stick really good. It is hella sharp too. The edges will cut you. Wear some gloves you will thank me later. Your hands will be all cut up. I learned the hard way. Not fun. Buy the Dnyamate roller too. It will help on getting the big sheets adheard good. For small areas you will need your hands.(Gloves) Make sure you get a good bond between the metal and dynamate. But dont push so hard that you flatten the dynamate to wear it is so flat you took away the absorbsion of the material.
Thats everything. Hope all gose well keep us posted. :irock:
Just wanted to quote this and let it be known that soundproofing is the new groundwire system.

[/totally kidding]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Road noise is a huge problem for me and I figure why not help out my system sound better, so I am considering doing this soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather Dynamat extreme is expensive, but will pretty much stay stuck anywhere, roof, hatch, doors. The cheaper stuff (price wise) is best say on the floor and maybe even two layers since its cheaper. Then again for road noise only the foam padding is effective? If thats true what brand would be recomended and does it drastickly change the placement of the interior pannels? What about an under coat spray, how effective is that?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I did fatmat all over everywhere behind the seats when I was installing my stuff.

You know what got rid of the most road noise, putting the plastic back in after driving around for a week without it. I am thinking the best way to make the car quite is to seal off the trunk entirely, to many hard surfaces in there.

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts