Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new here, this is one amazing comprehensive site. I was just wondering how exactly I would go about removing the sound insulation in the Z, as the 2006 model is just a little too quiet for my taste.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
There is different types of sound deadener. The easiest would be the rear carpet. The next would be inside the panels behind the seats. There is loose mat inside that can be pulled out easily. After that its going to be tough. you will need to get alot of dry ice and freeze the underbody sound deadener to get it to chunk off.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
You might be one of the few pioneers in this field. Have fun! Just for technical sakes, weigh your car first before doing anything. After you're done, weigh it again. Or measure the material you removed.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
from what i have read, the sound deadening removal will only yield 10-15lbs. It will take several days of work too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This s just my first step. I'm going to get rid of the spare wheel, put racing seats, take out the subwoofer, and possibly remove the rear wiper. all in all, I'm hoping to get somewhere close to 100 pounds off by the end.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
This s just my first step. I'm going to get rid of the spare wheel, put racing seats, take out the subwoofer, and possibly remove the rear wiper. all in all, I'm hoping to get somewhere close to 100 pounds off by the end.
100lbs is easy.. 300lbs should be your goal :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm always afraid to remove the spare tire. I guess all that stuff in the 'trunk' could account for 40 lbs easy.

Replace OEM exhaust
Replace OEM wheels
Replace OEM seats

:dunno:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm always afraid to remove the spare tire. I guess all that stuff in the 'trunk' could account for 40 lbs easy.

:dunno:
There's the old AAA membership / cost axiom for reducing weight.

But yeah, I never got around to pulling it out on my current car, either.

-Tyson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the track model so it comes with the lightweight Rays wheels. I don't know if I can justify the price of a new exhaust, that will probably be one of my later endeavors. Is it true that the subwoofer weights only 2 pounds?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I think the subwoofer is just over a pound. The rear wiper assembly is about 2-3 lbs, including the counter weight in the hatch. I suppose one could always remove the windshield wiper reservoir/fluid for a few more pounds.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I think the subwoofer is just over a pound. The rear wiper assembly is about 2-3 lbs, including the counter weight in the hatch. I suppose one could always remove the windshield wiper reservoir/fluid for a few more pounds.

Emptying the fluid could probably save you some decent weight, I don't imagine the resevoir itself weighing much of anything though.

If you're really hardcore you could probably remove the air conditioning assembly :biggrin: I know a few people that did that back when I owned my previous car.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The stock cats weight around 50lbs combined. Put in test pipes for 200$ and you will get power and save 40lbs.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Emptying the fluid could probably save you some decent weight, I don't imagine the resevoir itself weighing much of anything though.

If you're really hardcore you could probably remove the air conditioning assembly :biggrin: I know a few people that did that back when I owned my previous car.
I disconnected my AC on my 300ZX when I had it. Always thought about removing the whole AC system. But that is hardcore.

The stock cats weight around 50lbs combined. Put in test pipes for 200$ and you will get power and save 40lbs.
Already accomplished! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Q: Are the stock cats really 50lbs together? :doh:

Full-Titanium exhaust (shave about 40lbs)
Test pipes (shave another 20-30lbs)
Lightweight battery (shave 20-30lbs)
Racing seats (20-40lbs)
Lightweight clutch/flywheel (20-40 lbs, rotational mass too)
Spare/jack (~40lbs)

160-220 lbs right there. Thats before CF hood, rear wiper, and removing sound deading material which could net you maybe another 20-30 lbs total. After that, you can get real crazy with CF hatch and lexan windows and such, but thats up to you. At that point, you have to worry about safety as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Q: Are the stock cats really 50lbs together? :doh:

Full-Titanium exhaust (shave about 40lbs)
Test pipes (shave another 20-30lbs)
Lightweight battery (shave 20-30lbs)
Racing seats (20-40lbs)
Lightweight clutch/flywheel (20-40 lbs, rotational mass too)
Spare/jack (~40lbs)

160-220 lbs right there. Thats before CF hood, rear wiper, and removing sound deading material which could net you maybe another 20-30 lbs total. After that, you can get real crazy with CF hatch and lexan windows and such, but thats up to you. At that point, you have to worry about safety as a daily driver.
Well.....the stock cats including the bracket that holds them together might weigh about 30 lbs or more.

The other stuff might help. Test pipes vary, but I feel like I got the lightest ones out there. I'd like to get a dry cell battery, too.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
See my thread here
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...12846&hl=weight

The stock cats are 23lbs EACH.

Well.....the stock cats including the bracket that holds them together might weigh about 30 lbs or more.

The other stuff might help. Test pipes vary, but I feel like I got the lightest ones out there. I'd like to get a dry cell battery, too.
Did you get titanium test pipes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
^Good thread. Seems to me stuff like speakers and rear wiper stuff is a waste, but there is some good stuff in there I didn't know about.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
See my thread here
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...12846&hl=weight

The stock cats are 23lbs EACH.
Did you get titanium test pipes?
:doh: You got me there....

I have the Helix pipes which are pretty light.

^Good thread. Seems to me stuff like speakers and rear wiper stuff is a waste, but there is some good stuff in there I didn't know about.
Rear wiper and counterweight MIGHT shave off a couple of pounds. I took it off because it was a PITA to wash the rear hatch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts