Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with twin-turbo/supercharger setup, are you concern at all with future smog inspections? This is the only reason keeping me from buying a forced induction setup. I know that stillen has carb certification but what about the others? What are you planning on doing come inspection time? Will your current FI setup pass?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
if you ask around you should be able to find local shops that will overlook the FI to get you passed.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I know most states are 10 years or more behind California, back in the 80s and 90s here in California it was fairly easy to get a smog cert on a wink and an nod but it has been getting tougher. If you are lucky enough to get someone to overlook the visual, you might get buy with that if you tail pipe reads clean but shops are leary of loosing their license (cash cow) and if you fail once you go on the watch list and most likely will end up going to a state run certification center.

Also note that our Zs are supposed to be ULEV and ULEVII, so the standard at which they are tested will most likely be higher than the last car you owned.

Stillin is CARB approved for the Stage 2 only (SC with Intercooler)
APS is trying for CARB cert their TT system, this is what I am hopping for.
Vortech is in some kind of limbo and still not approved (I think they need to work on the piggy back box, ARB hates things with adjustments)
Dreamworks claims to be 50 state legal but has no product.

As for other states I have only this to say SAVE YOUR OEM PARTS. If your state decides they need another revenue stream by charging for smog certs, they could require your car to meet the standard at which it was sold. Here in CA it cost quite a few of us dearly when we had to dig up intake manifolds with EGR valves, cats, smog pumps, and stock carburetors.

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hyper's advice is good, and most here would be wise to heed it. Consider this: you may know someone at a smog shop who will pass your car illegally, but what happens when you go to sell it? The new buyer, if he's smart, will want to know the car's smog liability, and he may not want to screw with finding a criminal to pass his car. That means the only way to sell the car is to return it to original specs. Other problems may include insurance reimbursement after a wreck - pile into a stopped car and you may be out the $6000 for the forced induction setup because some insurance companies might not pay for illegal parts.

My personal rule has been to only buy CARB-certified parts or "invisible" parts. This limits the mods I can do, but it also protects my investment in the car. 20 years ago I used to go hog wild modding my rides, but times have changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts