Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I went with 19's a few days ago, and once in awhile my "slip" light now comes on. Its not when I'm going fast or anything, usually on a sharp corner, even at LOW speeds, like pulling out of a driveway, 5 mph, the slip light blinks....anyone else have this issue??

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So will it "hurt" anything? Or should I just turn my Traction Control off? It doesn't happen often at all................

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by fanatic1@Sep 2 2005, 09:12 AM
So will it "hurt" anything?  Or should I just turn my Traction Control off?  It doesn't happen often at all................
[snapback]151872[/snapback]​

What size tires are you running front and rear?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
245's up front, 275's in back............front is 8.5 wide, rear is 9.5 wide........I don't know "all" the numbers off the top of my head.............but I have no rubbing, no noise, nothing like that..........just wondering if the light could be harmful..................

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by fanatic1@Sep 2 2005, 09:40 AM
245's up front, 275's in back............front is 8.5 wide, rear is 9.5 wide........I don't know "all" the numbers off the top of my head.............but I have no rubbing, no noise, nothing like that..........just wondering if the light could be harmful..................
[snapback]151877[/snapback]​

Hmmm...those sizes look correct, depending on the sidewall. Here is an example of the calulator link above. Top row shows OEM tires...I think a 0.5% difference from OE is marginal and may cause a SLIP to pop up.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
224/45-17 4.0in 12.5in 24.9in 78.3in 809 0.0%
245/30-19 2.9in 12.4in 24.8in 77.9in 814 -0.6%

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have VDC, I just have TCS. I have a button that I can turn that on and off. I can check my sidewalls at lunchtime, but my biggest question is, if I turn of the TCS, am I doing any damage to the car by either having that slip light come on, or by turning it off am I just masking tha damage?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by fanatic1@Sep 2 2005, 11:01 AM
I don't have VDC, I just have TCS.  I have a button that I can turn that on and off.  I can check my sidewalls at lunchtime, but my biggest question is, if I turn of the TCS, am I doing any damage to the car by either having that slip light come on, or by turning it off am I just masking tha damage?
[snapback]151910[/snapback]​

I'm not qualified to answer that question...but it is odd that you are getting a SLIP since alot of owners are running the 245/275 stagger without issues.

Maybe a more qualified member will chime in here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just spoke to a Tire Rack rep. He said that Turning the TCS off will not hurt the car at all. I told him I'm just getting the "slip" light once in awhile, mainly on sharp turns. He said it was probably the computer just sensing the different wieght of the wheels, and will not HARM the car. The slip light is a nuisance, and it is cutting power, so I will just turn off the TCS whenever I start up. Thoughts?
Thanks for your replys. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm sure someone must have, 'cause the Tire Rack Tech wasn't surprised at all.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
Base Zs have neither TCS,VDC or limited slip diff.
Enthusiast Zs have TCS and limited slip diff. only.
Performance, Touring and Track Zs have TCS, VDC and limited slip diff.

TCS (Traction Control System) senses rear wheel slip relative to rpm and wheel speed. If it senses lose of traction, the throttle is let off or brakes may be applied.

VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) has sensors for all four wheels, steering angle and yaw/roll sensors. If it senses anything outside of pre-set parameters, the throttle is let off and brakes may be applied. Front and rear tire diameters must be within a certain % for the VDC to function properly. Also many suspension componants could cause the slip indicator to light up and cause it to react.

If you get tired of hitting the TCS switch everytime you start your Z, KP Technologies has a module that will remember the switch position when you turn off the Z.

Hope this helps.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
230 Posts
This problem causes some concern for me because I have similar issues. I have R/H J8 with 245/35 19" front and 275/35 19" on the rears. The problem I have is when I take sharp corners at fairly quick speeds but my goes into safe mode and the car shuts down. When it goes into safe mode the slip light comes on and the SES light is on of course. I have an '03 Performance model, so far the dealership is totally clueless.

I was unaware that the VDC actually has a yaw sensor in it, I had asked that question to the dealership the first time it happend and they said it didn't have any sensors like that.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for the hijack I've posted my situation before here and other websites but no one had any ideas.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
The yaw rate/ side G sensor is located along the Zs centerline (driveshaft tunnel), under the center console trim. It's between the shifter and brake.

Neither the VDC or TCS should cause your Z to shutdown. There might be something else causing your SES light to go on. One thing is if your fuel tank has less than 3 or 4 gallons of gas. Still shouldn't cause your Z to shutdown. The only time to really be concerned is when the SES light flashes (it could also become steady after awhile). See Owners Manual about driving restrictions!

Good Luck!
A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My "slip light" came on when I first put my 19's on and took a corner aggressively.

I took out my .357 and shot the dashboard.

End of problem. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by PaulO@Sep 2 2005, 05:20 PM
Base Zs have neither TCS,VDC or limited slip diff.
Enthusiast and 5AT Touring Zs have TCS and limited slip diff. only.
Performance, 6MT Touring and Track Zs have TCS, VDC and limited slip diff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
K, I went to the tire calculator and checked the % difference between my stock setup and my current setup. Stock was 225/45-18 and 245/45-18 current setup is 245/35-19 and 275/35-19. The difference was -0.8% front and -0.4% rear. Now I have yet to change back to stock setup to test it out but if this % is good then does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem. Is it possible that an ABS sensor is bad or reading wrong because of the new setup or something else?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
I believe the problem is the difference in diameter between the front and rear tires, not the difference between stock sizes. The stock set up between the front and rear is only two sizes different. Your current set up has a three size difference.

I say, if you want to keep the set up, hit the TCS switch or buy the KP unit.
Then again, you could try Rufdraft's solution. :lmfao:
Personally, I think a 9mm should be enough.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
230 Posts
What if I go up to 255/35 in the front, that is if it is possible to put that wide of a tire up there, do you think that would help to solve the problem?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts