Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Seems like a good option. I'd trust a known company like Skunk over some random company like motordyne that doesn't even have a webpage. Or at least, it didn't when I was interested in their product.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i see skunk all over the place relating to Honda community.. Anyone know their target? are they budget mods or quality stuff? If they are quality then i hope to see them put out more products for the Z. If they are junk, then i hope they stay the **** away.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Going to the Skunk website I noticed four things right off (I'm quick like that .. ha!):

1) What it's made of : " … made from a special carbon composite material (carbon impregnated nylon-6) …".
2) The thickness : " ... 5/8" uniform thickness … ".
3) "… not angled.".
4) The price … $225.5

Ok. Soooo .. what's sup with all that?

1) According to the ad, "… carbon impregnated nylon-6 … offers superior thermal insulation characteristics which also increases power by keeping the upper plenum and charge air temperatures lower."

My first question then was .. what the heck is that then? Surfing the net a bit I find that - Polyamide 6 - Nylon 6 - PA 6 are/is listed as Polymer Type : Thermoplastic, Advantages : .. may be injection molded, lower mould shrinkage then Nylon 6/6 with good fatigue resistance and that useful improvements in stiffness can be obtained by inclusion of glass fibers …

Further surfing gathered way more information then anyone needs at 8 am on a Saturday morning with only a cup of coffee. Evidently, Nylon 6 or Nylon 6/6 are used in everything from electrical probes to whitewater rafting paddles .. AND .. that the plastic is reinforced with various stuff ..

2)… 5/8" thickness .. not angled .. and $225.53

My first thought was .. hmmm .. looks like they took a sheet of this nylon-6, cut out the plenum shape, dropped a couple of bolts in the package and charged a couple hundred bucks.

Surfing some more, I found a source for cast Nylon-6 sheets … K-Mac Plastics .. where I found that you can purchase a 5/8" sheet of Nylon-6 measuring 24x24 for $158.91 … hmmm. That makes the Skunk plenum spacer pricing seem much more reasonable then when you factor in the cost of a sheet, bolts, labor etc etc.

Darn. Here I had the idea of purchasing a sheet of the plastic and cutting out one myself.

I did find it at Here for $191.95 .. they also show an install from the pages of the December Issue of Import Tuner.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ok just so every one i clear on this. i have first hand experience with there cams. these cams when tuned properly with cam gears on say an integra v-tec motor can get any where from 15-17 hp.

since it is vtec they can make a really wild cam and it will idle just fine.

these are the best cams to get for a vtec motor.

Now for the Z. And i would seriously consider parts from skunk.

if they can make serious power from cams for a honda, they should have no problem cranking out big hp gains for our Z's

but as far as the plenum spacer, befre you knock it wait and see what people are saying over the next six months about it. i'm sure there will be online reviews about it soon, and if it has problems i'm sure we will all find out.

i'm more interested in there cams if and when they do come out.
the Z has alot of power to begin with and sort of has a vtec system that is similar in a way. if they can improve on that we will all be happy. if not, well then the drive train was built pretty good from the factory though.

one thing know is that when they were researching the cams for the dohc vtec motors they researched all of the cams out there and especially the type r cams and then imroved it. usually they have three stages of cams.

i'm not trying to be pro honda here, but these people know what they are doing when it comes to cams. my civic and integra are gone now, thats how i got my Z.

I cant wait for the cams to come out!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
one other thing to think about is that they have researched the plenum and are now selling it.

i'm very sure that the cams will be developed around the plenum spacer and i would not be suprised if they reccomend this upgrade before installing you're cams, or posibly at the same time.

It would make more sence to buy both parts from the same company.

i really hope they make cams.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
this is a new company in the z world, do you think we will see other products from them ? competition is good.. lower prices are good.. variety is good too

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
of course.

I had them in my civic and my integra.

everyone was buying them because they made the most HP.

besides im not impressed with the nismo cams. I mean come on all that money for just a few HP.

Did you read the review on the s-tune package???

htey should be able to make that kind of power with cams only.

What are the boys in Japan doin for NA???? You know they have access to better parts than we do. they have had the gtr for years and now finally we wil get the detuned version in the US.

What do you think.

so far the prommised HP gains from cams alone are not worth tearing apart the heads to replace them. hopefully some one will make it worth it.

if i dont get 25-35 hp gain from cams i swear they will never go into my car.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0405scc_nismo/

this is a link to the r-tune 350z. it had intake, headers, cams, and exhaust. only made 10hp more at the wheels over stock.
4 of those hp were from the exhaust system alone .

NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL.

We need some parts that can deliver REAL POWER

But, the plenum spacer is looking good. So far it is worth the money, and it delivers.

no wonder everyone is going FI

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
still havent gotten an e-mail.

i'll try calling them on monday.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
It doesn't look like the STB will fit after fitting a spacer that large.

There isn't much to be gained after 1/8".. so going with 1/4" (or larger by the looks of Skunk) isn't going to offer much more..and you may lose your STB.

~~~~~~~~~

Again with the cams...

You aren't going to make 25-35whp with cams unless they are 272++ with high lift.

The nismo cams aren't shitty. You keep referring to a crappy SCC article where the idiots didn't even try to tune the thing afterwards.

If you want to make N/A power , you must TUNE it. SCC didn't TUNE it. They slapped them in and went. I wonder if they were even setup with a degree wheel.. Most likely , no.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
finally someone understands my thinking.

do you know if the car in that article had the upgraded plenum??

i seriously doubt it since my car doesnt.

and yes a tune.

if these 2 simple things were done we could have learned more about the nismo parts installed, simply if they were worth it or not.

well so far it seems a plenum upgrade is first on my list, for the money spent and what you get out of it, im gonna buy one, just have to do reasearch on which one though.

definitly on my list though.

this and probably a drop in k&n.

retaining the stock look for now would be cool.

And the nice thing about it is i will prob spend les than 300 bucks. what a deal.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I have no clue what motor was in that car from the article. I didn't read it.

I don't know if it had the new 300hp lower plenum or not.

what trim level do you have? if 300hp , than you have the revised plenum.

I don't determine if parts are worth it from crappy magazine articles.. All I know is what can be done with the right tuning.

You aren't going to get too much of any gains , without something altering the ECU. The OEM ECU reverts back to the "normal" map anyway if you aren't on it non stop. The newest rumor (true or false) is that it takes several WOT runs in 2nd gear to get the ECU to switch to the performance map.

So, buy a plenum spacer; buy an intake, exhaust, blah blah blah.. when you are done.. get it PROFESSIONALLY TUNED. Don't use and AFC, don't put any resistors on it to mess with timing. Spend the dough, and do it right.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
just got off the phone with skunk

there is a guy over here in san bernardino that sells them for skunk.

he told me he would sell it to me for alot cheaper thatn the 220 price on the net.

he took my name and # and will have the san bernardino guy call me soon.

i also asked about the strut bar!
they are making a spacer kit as we speak. for those who want there strut bar installed like me.

**** i should have asked about the plastic cover.

i was told that the strut bar does not take away from the handling of the car, dont know if its true because i never took mine off before.
I do know it made a big difference on my acura so who knows.

I asked about cams and they are developing them right now.

I found out all this info just by calling there direct # and asking a few simple questions at
Tel: 951-808-9888

call them you're self if you don't believe this. The cams are being developed to work with there plenum spacer.

oh and by the way i have a bone stock 05 z.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
wasnt nocking them.

besides you have a spacer and i dont.

plusn i think the aam has the shim kit for the strut bar correct?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts