Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get feedback on the looks of the site (besided the menu, as that is a project i am working on).

Should we go for a more steamlined look, or keep it the way it is. Do you like the constant width of the site, or would it be best to have the forums adjustable in width?

Dont be affraid to hurt my feelings..

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Which menu? The one with the almighty View New Posts button? Touch it and die!

Well, at least put the View New Posts and Search buttons somewhere, keeping in mind that the menu below that one doesn't work on error pages

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Aug 13 2004, 01:19 PM
Which menu?  The one with the almighty View New Posts button?  Touch it and die!

Well, at least put the View New Posts and Search buttons somewhere, keeping in mind that the menu below that one doesn't work on error pages

I can't believe I am going to say this.....
but I agree with DiRN. I use the "view new posts" button a lot.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
'View new posts' is awesome.

I have a suggestion, though. I use the main forum page to see who is online. I am on a local site that uses a small circle under the users' avatar or SN to indicate whether the person in the posts on any thread is currently online. 'Green' circle means they are, empty/gray circle means they are not. Just a thought...other than that, keep up the great work!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 17 2004, 12:19 AM
'View new posts' is awesome.

I have a suggestion, though.  I use the main forum page to see who is online.  I am on a local site that uses a small circle under the users' avatar or SN to indicate whether the person in the posts on any thread is currently online.  'Green' circle means they are, empty/gray circle means they are not.  Just a thought...other than that, keep up the great work!

I like that idea too, but I'm afraid it would slow the site down a bit. I've never seen statistics on it, but it's extra database querying

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Dirn, that other site is pretty quick. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to affect the site's performance. For an example, go to www.mnsportcompacts.net and check my posts under the SN ShiftyZ. I'll bring up the browser and leave it on for a while.

First click up near the top on 'Community' and it will take you to the forum topics. Then pick 'Spotted' and you'll be able to find a relatively new post by me...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Cool Smooth. ClubCivic has it too, and that's pretty quick. But I know the other site displays online status, and as we all know, it crawls

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Dirn, you're the computer expert, not me. I wouldn't have a clue as to how all that works. You could tell me little gremlins are inside the 'puter and I'd believe you (after drinking some absinthe, of course)...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 17 2004, 09:20 AM
Dirn, you're the computer expert, not me.  I wouldn't have a clue as to how all that works.  You could tell me little gremlins are inside the 'puter and I'd believe you (after drinking some absinthe, of course)...

How'd you know??

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The little green fairie told me so...she's wunnernuffel.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we had alot of extra features on the forums, one of which was telling who was online and who wasnt in their posts.. once traffic started picking up, the site started crashing alot (too many database queries)

after we removed alot of the unneeded features, the site was faster and we have not had a crash yet!

jaysen, just be carefull about adding forum features

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 17 2004, 09:48 AM
The little green fairie told me so...she's wunnernuffel.

I about fell out of my seat when we saw that Ozzy did the fairie voice for the "Rouge". (living in LA at the time, me and my roomie Heidi got to go to the premiere)....

I like being able to see if the ppl are online or not. Motoring does it, do they not? That site is not slow. I also like the tracking feature they have that tells you if your pm's have been read or not. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Aug 17 2004, 09:47 AM
I like being able to see if the ppl are online or not.  Motoring does it, do they not?  That site is not slow.  I also like the tracking feature they have that tells you if your pm's have been read or not.  Just a thought. 

We have that feature. When you send a PM, just check the box that screams "Track this message"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am impressed with the site. It is fast and user friendly. I bailed on the other sites when i found this one. Like everyone else was saying I use the view new post button all the time. The one thing I never use is the menu at the bottom of the page. It seems kind of unneccesary when all the same stuff can be found at the top of the page.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts