Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at many dual tip exhaust. But i cant find the right one for me. I've never considered getting a single tip. I heard one at a meet i went to the other day. It sounded crazy :OMG: .He said he had the JIC.Is a single tip just as efficient as a dual or is dual more effective?

I plan on getting the Apex'i Ex ti, is this a good exhaust.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Well, don't be fooled, there are variations of each.

Dual:

Test Pipes --> Y-Pipe --> Single Tube --> One Muffler --> Two Tips
Test Pipes --> Two Tubes --> Two Mufflers --> Two Tips
Test Pipes --> One Tube --> Two Tubes --> Two Mufflers --> Two Tips

Single:

Test Pipes --> Y-Pipe -- Single Tube --> One Muffler --> One Tip

(there may be another option, I can't think of it right now though.

The "Test Pipes --> Two Tubes --> Two Mufflers --> Two Tips" is True-Dual and IMO, the best choice.

I prefer dual setups for V motors, Singles for inline motors.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The single JIC is 80mm, make sure you get the JIC Y-pipe with it as well since it's 80mm as well. By the way 80mm is bit bigger then 3" and it's more then big enough to handle the power produced by all N/A application and the lower output FI engines.

The advantage of single over dual is that they weight less, they might have less cool factor, but there's a reason race cars usually have single and not dual exhausts. Also with single pipe the exhaust gases will have less chance to cool down, since there's less surface area of piping and it should help with low end torque and power (not by much, but it's still a factor).

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I would think that unless the pipes on that single are hella big, the dual would be the better choice.

It really depends on what you are looking to do power wise. A single 80mm pipe will flow nicely IMO for around 400whp. Any more than that and you may want something else.

I asked this question to a good friend of mine who is a top bloke at what he does.

Here is what he told me:

Singles when setup right will yeild more power. With the fact that they retain the heat of 6 cyl ,.... not 3 , have half the surface area , and promote that flow much better. BUT ! and you know its alllwasys a but .... If you turbo it ... that single , is useless . Would be better with twins, IMO.

Have fun deciding. Take your time, and remember, it's your choice!

This is quickly becoming a newly discussed debate. It will go down in history with the octane questions. Each side makes valid points, and it comes down to what you believe in exhaust theory.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I like the info here as I am trying to decide on an exhaust, cats-hiflow cats-no cats, headers or not......

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
well, consider this:

some h/f cats and headers will cause raspiness.

I had the ARC Ti. exhaust before anything else exhaust wise. It wasn't raspy at all.

Afterwards, had a slew of parts installed. Including RT cats and Strup headers. Now it is raspy, until completely warmed up. I would guess it's the cats, but I'm not sure.

Just take your time and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
MRC has been giving me lots of good advice - mostly I want to get the car tuned after all of this stuff is done!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Hey chosin. thanks for posting the pics. i was looking at all of the dual tip exuasts and dont like the tips on any of them AT ALL.

i do like you'res where did you get it, how much, and is it a catback? and what is it called? model # ect.
i'm keeping the stock cats for now.

never mind i did a search.

there are 3 versions, which one did you get

1 - 16 of 16 Posts