Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a friend that recently bought a Subaru Liberty B4, its a white car and it come with front and rear black pods, as they look completely disgusting we decided to remove them.

Once removed we noticed that the front 2 were held on by a few screws and double sided tape, which came off nicely. But the rear was held on by screws and a combination of double sided tape and silicone, which looks like a home repair.

The question is what would be the best way to remove the silicone from the area without damaging the paint, or is that impossible.

P.S. it looks like standard bathroom silicone.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Peel it off slowly if you can or use dental floss. I'd probably also use a general adhesive remover. 3M makes it and is safe for cars.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'd use dental floss and "saw" as much of it off as possible so there is just a very thin layer left. Then use rubbing compound to "polish" of the thin layer that remains.

I wouldn't put any adhesive remover on my paint but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The stuff I use from 3M isn't that bad. It's almost like an aerosol claybar, so I just put a layer of wax and/or polish on the surface that I just cleaned.

I first 'discovered' the stuff from 3M when I went to a major car show. I figured that if they've done the R&D for it, then I trust it not to hurt the car. Been using it for years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts