Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my finace just signed the lease papers for a '05 enthusiast Z. Our price out the door was around a little less than $29K. The deal told us tha they'd need to drive it from Portland oregon to Seattle, less than 200 miles. When the car comes in, it has nearly 900 miles:OMG: ! It ends up, the car was orginaly in Sacramento, Ca, then tranfered to Portland a few motnhs ago, and now it's in Seattle.

We got them to offer $1,000 cash up front to make up for the extra miles...

what do you guys think?????

*I'm thinking of asking for the diff, trany and engine oils to be changed w/ synthetic on top of the cash...should I ask for more cash too??? (I haven't seen the car yet, and am driving up from San Francisco tomorrow...I'm going to check the car and make sure it's okay.)

I'm just worried that this car has been beaten for the first 900 miles, when it should have been slowly broken in.

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My 35th was in Bedford, TX. If arrived in Metairie, LA with 555 miles on it. I was fortunate to meet the transport driver and had a long discussion with him. I believe you will be okay, if they did run the Z, it was not for long and not at top speed for sure.

Have the tech check it with the computer. They are able to determine % of WOT and other things. But I was always taught to break it in like you would normally drive, and for me, 'yeee hawww mofo, let's rock' is the motto. First Z had 262 miles at purchase and 27,000 at trade in 22 months later. #2 has 4300 miles now since June 3, 05 (had 555 when delivered). Drive it like you stole it, one day someone may take it away. :biggrin: It happened to the first one, $22K damage at 13 months, 5 mths in shop and then trade in at 22 mths. (http://photos.yahoo.com/msgulfrider/350zwreck)

just a dumb girl's opinion for you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would take it. I dont believe in break in periods though.

dealer trades are just part of the car business. that is not too bad.

~Z~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm somewhat okay with it b/c it's a 39 month lease...but I'm just worried that someone worked the engine super hard, and I'll be stuck 20K miles later haveing to argue wit ha dealer to replace a burned clutch or tranny that not my fault.

I think if they'll do the cash + synthetic oil changes I'd be okay.

thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why was it on a fantastic voyage? I got to pick my Z from model to color shipped from the distribution center with only 18 miles. Did they run out of them where your at or something? Sometimes dealerships will sell/lease cars that were the "test drive cars" that ppl have abused. Find out if thats the case.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Dealerships swapping cars is very common. If the dealership that originally owned this Z (the one in Sacramento) needed one for a customer in a different color, they might have traded it with the dealership in Portland. That's almost 600 miles. Add in the 200 to get it back to your dealership and that' 800 miles. Where those other 100 miles came from, I don't know. Sounds like it could've been a dealer demo like 24boosted mentioned.

My Z had 7 miles on it when I signed the lease, 3 of which I put on the car during the test drive, so I'd ask for some more background on this Z if I were you.

How many miles does your lease say it should have on it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, it sucks, but I don't think it is horrible. Now if it was a dealer demo, they cannot sell it as new (by law I think). However, if the miles were all in transport, then that should be ok.

As for the cash you should ask for, I would say $1000 seems appropriate and I would ask for documentation of the first oil change. Afterall, the first oil change is supposed to happen at 750 miles. If they cannot document it, then they should pay for an oil change and a full inspection and be willing to back your warranty no matter what (missing a oil change can void your warranty).

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well, it's a lease so you're probably not going to buy it in 3 years. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Test drive it, have them check it out, take the $1k, enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts