Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys'

As you all of you guys know the fuel price is soaring crazy for the High octane. Yesterday i drove pass by Boost 98 By United and cost about 128.8. as the Normal unleaded on BP and the rest cost ~128 and 98 octane is about ~138.

But of course the Shell Optimax said contain No Ethanol.

Now what i'm wondering is...

Does anyone know what is the effect of Ethanol on cars? Is there any bad sideffect?

Cheers

P.S: i don't really TRUST their marketing writing :p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yes, there are negative side-effects on the engine if you use ethanol in the petrol. Ethanol corodes (for lack of better word) some of the engine parts ... not sure what they are (ie. seals, tubes or something else). Conventional petrol engines are build to resist corosion by petrol (and whatever goes in it), but not ethanol ... they do have some tolerance for it, but it's relatively low ... some small percentage, but I'm not sure of the exact number.

Mind you, if an engine was 'converted' to run on ethanol (or build from scratch to do so), then the manufacurers would use slightly different materials/standards and you could run purely on ethanol. Indycars run on Ethanol and have been doing so for a while. Also all the cars in Brazil run on Ethanol, and have been doing so for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by DavidM@Sep 18 2005, 10:46 AM
Mind you, if an engine was 'converted' to run on ethanol (or build from scratch to do so)

Sounds like a waste of perfectly good booze to me........ :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just filled up with V-Power racing.

http://www.nissan.com.au/owningnissan/vehiclecare_fuels.asp

Nissan vehicles manufactured from 1 January 2004 onwards are capable of operation on ethanol blends up to E10 (10% ethanol), providing the following conditions are met:

1. The fuel used (including ethanol-blend) meets the requirements of the Australian Fuel Quality Standards,
2. A credible history of servicing as per Nissan's recommended service schedule can be shown, and
3. Blending of the ethanol component to the petroleum component of the fuel has been properly made for example at a fuel refinery (ie there is no "splash"-blending of the fuel).

For Nissan vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 2004, although capable of operation on ethanol-blended ULP, Nissan does NOT recommend the use of ethanol-blended fuel in these vehicles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i pump the ethanol based fuel in the toyota hilux pretty much all the time.

"supposed to burn cleaner and have higher octane levels than normal unleaded"

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just filled up with V-Power racing.

I cannot believe how much Shell are charging for V Power Racing.

I filled up today with V power for $1.51 / L and the cost of V Power Racing advertised on the pump was $1.83 / L. An extra 32c / L for 100 Octane vs 98 Octane - just doesn't add up in my books.

Also, my Z is an 03 model and cannot put ethanol fuel in it anyway. But even if I could, I wouldn't at that price.

I must also add that the ethanol blended fuels yield less milage to the litre, so any saving in an E10 based fuel is lost cause you have to use more of it to cover the same distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts