Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know how fragile the paint is on the 350Z front fascia. A grain of salt will chip the paint all the way to primer. The ultimate solution is clearbra, or repaint every 18 months or so (about the same cost).

BUT. If you are entered in a car show and notice some of those pesky tiny white chips at the last minute, here's a quick solution. Use a crayon to obscure the chip.

No matter what color your Zee is, a box of crayons will have a color close enough. The crayons are wax, so this is strictly a "cover it up" remedy, but you can hide the chip well enough to escape the scrutiny of show car judges. This only works on the really tiny white specks (up to about a 16th of an inch).

Just rub the crayon into the chip, then GENTLY buff with a microfiber cloth. If you rub too hard, you'll just remove the crayon color. It may take several passes to get it done right. It doesn't work well on the really bad dings and gashes, but it will reduce their appearance, and it virtually eliminates the tiny specks.

Cheap and effective camouflage :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's a very cool tip. :cheers:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well, it would take me about 2 days and a dozen boxes of crayons to cover up all those little chips on my car :banghead: Driving behind other cars when you are doing 100+ MPH for a few hours turns the front of a Superblack Z into a map of the constellations. :doh:

Still, a great idea :yourock:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Well, it would take me about 2 days and a dozen boxes of crayons to cover up all those little chips on my car :banghead: Driving behind other cars when you are doing 100+ MPH for a few hours turns the front of a Superblack Z into a map of the constellations. :doh:

Still, a great idea :yourock:
:lmfao: :rolf2: :lmfao: :rolf2: I hear ya Conan, I am right there w/ ya. Lucy looks like I drove thru a picket fence :headshake: BUT that is a good idea. If I did that in the summer, the wax would be dripping off her :rolf2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya Conan, I am right there w/ ya. Lucy looks like I drove thru a picket fence :headshake: BUT that is a good idea. If I did that in the summer, the wax would be dripping off her
The crayon stays in place surprisingly well in the heat as long as you don't touch it. The stuff DOES melt, however, so if you put a crayon in your detailing box, be sure not to leave the box where it can get hot or you'll have a gooey mess on your other brushes, Q-tips, etc. :OMG:

When you've got more chips than you can color over in about 30 minutes (I'm getting close to that limit already), it's time for new paint if you are a serious car show competitor. The crayon is definitely just a temporary coverup. I've even considered (for about five seconds) getting some orange/yellow flames done in vinyl to cover the entire front fascia and licking back along the front of the hood and fenders--sort of a "colorbra." After seeing some comments elsewhere in this forum over the modest addition of racing stripes, I dismissed the idea of flames :rolleyes:

BTW: You might have to invest in one of the larger boxes (64 crayons) to get the color that works best with your paint color--especially the Brickyard or Sunset hues. The small box will have you covered for the basic red, blue, and black (do chips show on Pikespeak White?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep it cool.

I shared my crayon trick with some other Z-car folks at a car show today and discovered that it doesn't work in direct sun that has heated up the surface. The heated crayon is so soft that when you wipe over it, it just comes off completely. :doh:

Use this trick in the cool of your garage, or at least point your Zee away from the sun long enough for the surface to cool down--and wipe VVEERRYY lightly. I put my blue crayon on last night in the garage, it stayed in place on the judging lot of a car show today in brutal sunlight, and the judges didn't see a single chip. If the word gets out, however, the judges may start looking extra closely for crayon coverage. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts