Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a car later on this year. I'm considering the G35 (as well as the 350z). I am interested in the opinions of some G35 owners to find out why you got the G35 instead of the 350z. Really, any pros/cons you could offer for the G35 as opposed to the 350Z, considering they are pretty much the same car.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I will repost what I PMed you:

cons
*300lbs heavier (you will feel this.. i can feel an extra *light* person in the Z)
*Longer wheelbase
*No chassis reinforcement (i.e. upper strut bars and lower cross braces)
*several thousand dollars more expensive than the Z.

Pros:
*Backseat
*Most of the aftermarket parts available will work on both Z and G.
*Larger, more functional trunk space

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Concerning the extra weight.. I am about to spend a lot of money to shed 200 lbs.

But overall it comes down to what you want / need. If you think you need more space and a back seat, get the G. I like the way many of the modded G's turn out. Top Secret and Veilside have some great looking show cars.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
only like 200 and the convertible is actually more than the g35
I stand corrected. The 2006 model went up by 100 pounds..

Z touring weight: 3,339 pounds

G base weight: 3,524 pounds

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have and do own both a 350Z and a G35 coupe. I track both cars, and have modified them both extensively. Although I like both cars very much, I hands down prefer the G. The cons are so subtle that they are barely noticeable, and the pros are more than worth while. Also, IMO the G looks much better and is worth (in every aspect) the extra couple grand more. The G's interior is much quieter, classier and refined, unlike the plastic type adolescent feeling Z interior. Like I said I have and like both cars, but for a daily driver I would no doubt, go with the G. If I could have only have one or the other (Z or G) I would, although reluctantly, have to give up my Z.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks dudes, that's some good insight. I have been in a few Z's and even drove one a bit. I've never even sat in a G, so I guess I need to go for a test drive to see the difference in the interior and the handling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work at a Nissan dealership and we've had several used G35s as well.
Personally, I prefer the looks of the G, the trunk and rear seat as mentioned, but I'll add that I prefer the handling of the G35 Coupe to the 350Z. For me, I can tell the rear wheels are a few inches further back, and that adds much more stability for my kind of driving.

...Of course, I have a tendancy to drive sideways more often than not. ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I drove and wanted both before buying my G. The Z is IMHO one of the truest sports cars on the raod today, and the G is just more refined. Biggest deciding factor for me was the back seat. I checked insurance rates on both and the Track model (wanted Brembos) was almost $300 per year more than the G. After driving both the track was exactly what I wanted but practicallity won in the end (or should I say wife). It was either go with the G or nothing. Now that I have had the G for a while and (over 10K in mnods since) I wouldn't trade it for anything. I still love the Z and wish I could have both but in the end it's all a matter of personal preference and what fits your lifestyle the best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up going with the G over the Z mainly due to the nicer interior and the overall extra room in the cabin. The Z felt too small inside for to for a daily driver. I would have atleast needed a sunroof, but those are not an option on the Z's. I often sometimes look back and say I wish I had gotten the Z instead, but all I have to do is ride in one of my friends' for any real length of time and I am reminded as to why I went with the G.

I guess part of the problem is that I'm not the smallest guy in the world (5'11 240lbs) so, I needed a little extra room just to be comfortable for long periods of time in the car. If you are a little smaller or atleast skinnier you would probably be fine in the Z. Both are great cars and you can't go wrong either way, its really all in what you are wanting out of the cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts