Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2002 only has 16k miles on it, runs and looks brand new (mint condition). The 2007 has 56k miles on it and has a minor dent on the passengers side door. The 2002 is 15,500 and the 2007 is 17,000. Is 20HP that big of a deal because the 2003 is a great deal money wise.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
You keep saying 2002, but they didn't release an 02 model. However, if you're looking at the 03 vs the 07, then it's just a matter of preference. I have the 03 and love it. I like the torque, and there is plenty of aftermarket stuff for it. However, a lot of people don't like the interior of the 03 and prefer something more 'modern.'

That's a pretty good deal on the 03 with those miles. I say go for the 03.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
the correct answer is yes…

I love my 2003 but if it was a 2007 then I would love my 2007

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to this site and also contemplating buying a 2003 with 45K miles or a 2007 with 106K miles for about same price. I can't make my mind up. Anyone want to help me decide?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
hey Z fan, welcome to the site -

considering both are priced the same you should base your decision on which interior and exterior you like better? what you plan to do with the car(aftermarket upgrades) and how each car was maintained/driven.

Obviously, the lower mileage '03 looks better on the surface but both engines will last forever if maintained. So don't let the 106k miles on the HR motor scare you away.

Are you going to modify the car at all? If you plan to modify than go with the 2003. There is quite a bit of aftermarket for the DE motor, when you modify the difference in power will be less of an issue**

If it was me, I would go with the 2003 based on minimal exterior body changes, the interior changes dont mean much to me and buying a car with 45k miles on it (5k miles per year) versus 106k miles (17k miles per year) is a huge plus. On top of the aftermarket availability - with another 5k-10k, you can have a z with 425whp. Finally, I would think you have more 'negotiating' room with the 2003 versus the 2007.

**Here's my caveat, if you were to spend a hypothetical $10k on aftermarket bolt-ons(no rebuilt block) on either car, the 2007 would yeild more wheel horse power. The 2003 is limited to 450whp due to 'weaker' internals and the less efficient intake track. Where the 2007 has better internals and dual intakes. I think the 2007 can get into the lower 500whp on a stock block with a twin turbo setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey Z fan, welcome to the site -

considering both are priced the same you should base your decision on which interior and exterior you like better? what you plan to do with the car(aftermarket upgrades) and how each car was maintained/driven.

Obviously, the lower mileage '03 looks better on the surface but both engines will last forever if maintained. So don't let the 106k miles on the HR motor scare you away.

Are you going to modify the car at all? If you plan to modify than go with the 2003. There is quite a bit of aftermarket for the DE motor, when you modify the difference in power will be less of an issue**

If it was me, I would go with the 2003 based on minimal exterior body changes, the interior changes dont mean much to me and buying a car with 45k miles on it (5k miles per year) versus 106k miles (17k miles per year) is a huge plus. On top of the aftermarket availability - with another 5k-10k, you can have a z with 425whp. Finally, I would think you have more 'negotiating' room with the 2003 versus the 2007.

**Here's my caveat, if you were to spend a hypothetical $10k on aftermarket bolt-ons(no rebuilt block) on either car, the 2007 would yeild more wheel horse power. The 2003 is limited to 450whp due to 'weaker' internals and the less efficient intake track. Where the 2007 has better internals and dual intakes. I think the 2007 can get into the lower 500whp on a stock block with a twin turbo setup.
Thanks for your input. I was leaning towards the 07 but it had a rattle coming from underneath drivers side while idling. Should I be concerned with that? It is priced right at around $12K. I don't really plan on mods. It is bone stock now. I like the power of the 07 vs 03. I have heard that the motor is more reliable on the 07. I am still undecided though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd go for the "03".With those low miles,I'm thinking its unmodded,maybe owned by a older guy who drove it on weekends.My 03 has over 90k...no problemsother than the usual maintenance.I'd think the tire feathering probs with 03's has been fixed.
Even with those low miles,the OEM Bridgestones would be replaced.
As others have said,it depends on your plans for the car.Its interesting,most Z
owners follow different paths.Some its about adding HP.Some its looks.
Then you've got the guys that the first thing they do isimprove the sound system...
Which are you?What model is the 03?BASE,PERFORMANCE,TOURING?
Touring would be a good choice due to the features.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Euroz,

The 03 is a base model. I like the feel and extra 20hp of the 07 but not sure if I like the 107K miles. So again, is it best to spend $12K on high mileage 07 or a low mileage 03 given the condition of body being same? Not planning on any mods but maybe intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You say you don't want to do any mods, yet you keep talking about this grand 20HP. Just buy whatever car you feel better sitting in. At the end of the day it is your car. Everyone on here loves their Z no matter what year it is.

P.S. 20HP is nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I wouldnt be too worried about the rattle, but def have it looked at - prob just a loose bolt.

if the 2007 is modded already than I wouldnt buy it no matter what...

sounds like you're unsure of mods…which is ok…but buy the 2003 - you can make those 20whp (ehhh…maybe 10whp) with a drop in air filter, a quality exhaust and possibly test-pipes/high flow cats, and maybe a plenum spacer.

but, what USMC said...20hp isnt much...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would choose the 2007, any day of the week..better engine...upgradred hood...2 duel air intakes vs 1..on the 2003...plus a 2007 will be a better value..vs...2003..what a 11 year old car...ohh please....and the technolgy on the motor is better and more advanced....plus all the other parts on the car will be more newer and less chance of mech problems....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts