Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase some second hand wheels from the states and have some questions to those who have purchased wheels from there.

How much are people paying for shipping their wheels from the US?

What type of shipping and what company are they using?

Thanks
Murray

·
Registered
121 Posts
what type of rims ?
do hey have rubber??

are they lightweight? you know the weights?

where in the US?

you aware of the stupid duties and taxes you will have to pay on entry...

be prepaired for your 10% GST on the market value + duties... duties would probally be around $100 wouldnt expect more on duties

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I want to purchase some second hand wheels from the states and have some questions to those who have purchased wheels from there.

How much are people paying for shipping their wheels from the US?

What type of shipping and what company are they using?

Thanks
Murray
+1

350zonline have some great wheel+tyre packages

what about duties?

·
Registered
121 Posts
i would say off the top of my head..

DHL about a 3 day service = $450 - $500 + duties + Taxes

fed ex wont do personal stuff.... so unless you get them shipped to a business address
and when the guy in the US fills out the customs dec / comercial invoice he clearly states you that your a business and you need the wheels for racing or whatever else you can think of.......and you payed x amount of dollars for the wheels...

can get messy...

you could always get them put thru sea network and hope that you actually receive them.. and wait 6 weeks
not sure on $$ i would think pretty expencive, as you would need to find a sea forwarder and hope they have some stuff coming here soon, otherwise they could sit in the US for a while while they wait for a full container load to ship... they are not going to ship a full container with just 4 rims in it.....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Murray - I was looking at the US classified ads last night for some 2nd hand wheels. It appears as though you can pick up some stock 18's for US400 (possibly cheaper). Rays are rare and you will pay a lot more for those.

I don't know how much shipping of 4 wheels would cost, but I'm guessing US200???

If you have to add taxes and duties, the end price could be AUD1000.

Also, how do you handle the issue of paying your money and not receiving the wheels from a private buyer???

I'm going to see what's available locally - could be lucky and find something cheap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cool, thanks

Regarding imports taxes, its something like this:

Total + 15% duty + custom fee + 10% of everything for GST.
I'm not sure if 15% is the correct amount but other than that you've basically got it right (custom fee usually is duty but see below).

Be warned that if you're using a courier (probably you're only choice unless you ship each wheel individually) that the duty component comes in at AUD$250 opposed to AUD$1000 for a postal service so it may actual be worth investigating sending each one on it's own via USPS.

Fedex do do personal stuff, not sure what happened for whitezed. Avoid UPS at all costs they add their own administration/customs clearence fee at this end to anything that passes through their hands that they can get away with. Haven't dealt with DHL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not sure if 15% is the correct amount but other than that you've basically got it right (custom fee usually is duty but see below).

Be warned that if you're using a courier (probably you're only choice unless you ship each wheel individually) that the duty component comes in at AUD$250 opposed to AUD$1000 for a postal service so it may actual be worth investigating sending each one on it's own via USPS.

Fedex do do personal stuff, not sure what happened for whitezed. Avoid UPS at all costs they add their own administration/customs clearence fee at this end to anything that passes through their hands that they can get away with. Haven't dealt with DHL.
i own my own transport company... thats why i know about fed ex...

actually shipping 1 rim at a time via USPS will be a good idea, USPS has like a $500 min before you get taxed...
then again the savings on tax might cancel out shipping costs...., it could be worth getting a price though...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been through this exercise fairly recently and in reality with all the duties, GST and freight the difference isnt really worth it (about $300 AUD from memory based on a set of Volks with tires) given what can go wrong. If they are in stock and you're in a hurry, then go for it.

The best price I could get on freight alone was via UPS - US $530 and duty will be a minimum of 10% if you are lucky plus GST.

The best local price on Volks was from Access Auto in Mitcham at around $880 a rim then you have to find some tyres (see other thread).

Hope this helps - PM me if you need to.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Murray - I was looking at the US classified ads last night for some 2nd hand wheels. It appears as though you can pick up some stock 18's for US400 (possibly cheaper). Rays are rare and you will pay a lot more for those.

I don't know how much shipping of 4 wheels would cost, but I'm guessing US200???

If you have to add taxes and duties, the end price could be AUD1000.

Also, how do you handle the issue of paying your money and not receiving the wheels from a private buyer???

I'm going to see what's available locally - could be lucky and find something cheap.
Why are you looking for other wheels?

Thats good to know. I found some Rays for US$1000 with a few marks.

Dont buy from someone who has a short record on the forum or who isnt known well.

You should be able to find some, i'd call all the wheels shops as they seem to buy the stockies off customers, if thats what your looking for.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Since the begining of this year when the Aust - USA free trade agreement was ratified there is no duty on products made in the USA, only GST.
You must get your shipper to clearly mark consignment papers, Product of the USA
I recently pushased some Nissan products from the US & the nissan pakaging hade Made in Japan on it & I was charged 15% duty. If the products were removed from identifieing packageing I would not have had to pay duty

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Why are you looking for other wheels?

Thats good to know. I found some Rays for US$1000 with a few marks.

Dont buy from someone who has a short record on the forum or who isnt known well.

You should be able to find some, i'd call all the wheels shops as they seem to buy the stockies off customers, if thats what your looking for.
I'm looking at the prospect of getting a set of rims and rubber for track duties, so long as I can get the wheels fairly inexpensively.

I'm now considering just enquiring for 350Z wheels from local wheel shops, rather than purchasing from the US, due to the uncertainties associated with OS purchases.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since the begining of this year when the Aust - USA free trade agreement was ratified there is no duty on products made in the USA, only GST.
You must get your shipper to clearly mark consignment papers, Product of the USA
I recently pushased some Nissan products from the US & the nissan pakaging hade Made in Japan on it & I was charged 15% duty. If the products were removed from identifieing packageing I would not have had to pay duty
That's true but be warned I've had them check the item itself for country of origin.

As for Fedex Whitezed I use them as a backup to postal services (for items the postal office can't or won't handle) and there's never been any issue with personal jobs? Are you dealing with the local office or the international ones? I've only dealt with them out of the US so maybe the policy is different? As a side note it might be of interest that of the half dozen or so packages I've had Fedex handle they've lost one. Of the dozens I've had USPS handle they've lost none.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Your other option is to get second hand rims from Japan. There are quite a few people who scour the Yahoo! auctions in Japan, buy them and get them shipped over.

A ballpark figure for most Volk rims, in 18", is the AUD$2300 mark to your door. Some even less. Considering a set of brand new TE37s will cost you around $3K in 17", that's not bad.

I didn't see rims I liked on the auctions (given my strict size / design requirements, most of which I abandoned when I ordered my wheels) but it seemed like an OK deal, for the most part.

KY - there's a guy selling the stock 18" Track wheels (the cast ones, not the Rays forged) on SilviaNSW.com - he's wanting too much for it, but I've already told him not to expect that much. You could talk him down, and use the 18" for street and put Comp-R's on your current rims.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Michael,

I just realised ive got my 17" wheels with tyres if you want to buy them?

They are perfect, no scratchs or anything, only been used for a little bit.

You can put them on your car and put track rubber on your wheels if the tyres on them are wearing low that way you will save on new road tyres as well.

They are usless to me now because of my brakes but if you dont want them i'll hold onto them and put them back on when my car is stock again. They are taking up space in my garage as is and i'll be ordering another set of wheels so its only going to get worse.

AU$800, I think i pad $1000 for them which I considered a good deal because Nissan wants $1000 for each wheel and the tyres cost ~$250 each.

Murray

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
KY - there's a guy selling the stock 18" Track wheels (the cast ones, not the Rays forged) on SilviaNSW.com - he's wanting too much for it, but I've already told him not to expect that much. You could talk him down, and use the 18" for street and put Comp-R's on your current rims.
Scathing, I'll log onto that forum and see what he's asking.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts