Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I have driven a standard for many years, but I have a "newbie" question.
When should we shift from each gear to get to 60 the quickest? i.e., run both first and second all the way to redline or run first to say 4000 (or whatever), second to 4000 (or whatever) then hit 60 in third.
Educated opinions only please...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by brandon@Sep 17 2005, 04:51 PM
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=76
[snapback]155887[/snapback]​

Thanks Brandon. The thread attached does give some great guidance as to shifting in general.
It seems different cars have different "optimal" shift times to get to a "speed" the soonest possible. I am not sure that "top of the green," like in a Cessna airplane, is the best answer for the Z???
That's what I am looking for, that timing within the "power shifting" as it were.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by zBoone05+Sep 18 2005, 06:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-brandon
@Sep 17 2005, 04:51 PM
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showforum=76
[snapback]155887[/snapback]​

Thanks Brandon. The thread attached does give some great guidance as to shifting in general.
It seems different cars have different "optimal" shift times to get to a "speed" the soonest possible. I am not sure that "top of the green," like in a Cessna airplane, is the best answer for the Z???
That's what I am looking for, that timing within the "power shifting" as it were.
[snapback]156072[/snapback]​

Hopefully someone can chime in. I don't believe anyone has tested this on the 350Z in paticular.

Other than shifting 2-3k RPMs before the redline and figuring it out what the optimal shift point is, I can't help you anymore.

It also depends on the specific car. I'd get a dyno if you really want to know the optimal shift points. I imagine it will be when the torque is the highest in the given gear. I don't have much hands-on experience with dynometers...so i'm not sure if the programs allow you to enter MPH vs. RPM = certain gear and then supply that on the dyno graph. If it can't, you could probably do it yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Nis350ZTT.
I often overcomplicate things. Your input along with Brandon's was still valuable to me even though not the final answer. IF I learn of my optimal shift points, I will share the news.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Stock engines achieve max torque at 4800 RPMS. I would base this as my shift point. Is this what you were looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by 350zluvr@Sep 20 2005, 09:26 AM
Stock engines achieve max torque at 4800 RPMS. I would base this as my shift point. Is this what you were looking for?
[snapback]156515[/snapback]​
If maximum torque is at 4800rpm, then ud probably want to redline first, so when u shift into second, you are practically at the 4800rpm range.. If u shift out of first at 4800rpm, then ud be doing about 2900rpm approx in second, and still have a bit to go before u hit maximum torque rpm. I could be talkin sh*t, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Originally posted by Canberra350Z+Sep 19 2005, 04:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-350zluvr
@Sep 20 2005, 09:26 AM
[snapback]156515[/snapback]​
If maximum torque is at 4800rpm, then ud probably want to redline first, so when u shift into second, you are practically at the 4800rpm range.. If u shift out of first at 4800rpm, then ud be doing about 2900rpm approx in second, and still have a bit to go before u hit maximum torque rpm. I could be talkin sh*t, just my opinion.
[snapback]156522[/snapback]​

You make a good point. I guess the problem is that if you rev over 4800, you're still out of range of the most torque. A torque map would reveal the optimal shift points for each individual vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most vehicles are in a powerband between 3-5,500 RPMS. Any power shifts before that and the engine will bog, but over that its just making alot of noise. So depending on how your getting on it will vary. Normal driving for me is 2,500-3k, but when im on it its 3,500-5k. All how you drive though.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts

Exactly my thoughts. You want to be in the powerband when you hit the next gear, not before it. Shifting at 4800 will drop you way too low in 2nd gear. I would take it up closer to redline so you drop right into the max tq in the next gear.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
shift when the next gear will be in your "power band" as the thread has discuss.

When shifting do not lift off of the throttle. Quickly engage the clutch, move lever, release clutch pedal. If done quickly, you will not bounce off the rev limiter.. it will be smooth like buttah. I do this non stop on the track.

hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
shift when the next gear will be in your "power band" as the thread has discuss.

When shifting do not lift off of the throttle. Quickly engage the clutch, move lever, release clutch pedal. If done quickly, you will not bounce off the rev limiter.. it will be smooth like buttah. I do this non stop on the track.

hope this helps..

Do you lift off the throttle at all or leave it WOT? I usually lift off about halfway when shifting.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I'd love to run someone who power shifts and does not let off to let the revs match to see if there is much of a difference in performance. We all know power shifting is like 100 times worse on a car than rev matching (letting off), but I wonder what - if anything - is gained in performance by powershifting.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hey, y'all. Here's a thought. Try different shifting points and styles and time them. :irock:

Chris - shame on you. Don't you think you ought to warn folks about power-shifting and the possible results if not done correctly? You're a pro. We're not. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Chris - shame on you. Don't you think you ought to warn folks about power-shifting and the possible results if not done correctly? You're a pro. We're not. :cheers:

This is true. Do not atempt. Leave it to professionals! :biggrin:

hehe.. it's not difficult if you just practice.. BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE THE ROOM TO PRACTICE!

I can hear gearboxes breaking from here.. :doh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts