Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel this? Or know a solution?

My car has about 38,000kms on it.

When driving hard and shifting accordingly it feels like the shifter floats around a bit before going into the third gear gate. It doesn't feel precise when shifting hard into third and it slows the shift down a bit.

Is there some OEM part that has worn which needs replacing?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by ayman350z@Aug 14 2005, 10:06 PM
common problem with manual. i would take it for a dealer repair
[snapback]145572[/snapback]​

I dont feel confident in Nissans ability to fix the issue without causing others.

Do you know anything on what the actual issue is so I can get my mechanic to repair?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
to be honest with you...tranmission boxes are the one of the toughest repairs to be done on a car. more complicated than you can imagine. i wouldnt mess with it, or trust a mechanic to fix it. the dealership is the answer

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by ayman350z@Aug 14 2005, 10:29 PM
to be honest with you...tranmission boxes are the one of the toughest repairs to be done on a car. more complicated than you can imagine. i wouldnt mess with it, or trust a mechanic to fix it. the dealership is the answer
[snapback]145575[/snapback]​

I imagine repairing a transmission is as complicated as repairing a transmission.

So your saying this issue is an actual tranmission problem? As opposed to some part of the shifter which has been worn and needs replacing or tightening?

FYI my mechanic owns a 350z race car which he does the work on so I think he knows what hes doing, dont think for a second most Nissan service centre mechanics do.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Aug 15 2005, 02:47 PM

I imagine repairing a transmission is as complicated as repairing a transmission.

woh what a mind bender, im seeing colors

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe its the shifter bushing after finding some shifter bushing kits for other cars.

"The WRX comes with rubber shifter bushings intended to isolate the shifter from engine vibration. While they do accomplish this, they also make the shifting action vague and rubbery."

Without pulling the shifter apart I think this is what I am feeling, I couldnt find any kits for the 350z yet and I dont want to get a short shifter after all the bad reviews Ive read. So i might just replace it with a new OEM one.

I wonder how hard it would be for someone to make one from harder rubber or polyurethane one if I send them the stock one?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Murray, from first hand experience I can tell you there is really nothing in the shifter that can wear out (with normal use).

The housing (control socket) the shifter actually sits is actually made of very hard plastic and I seriously doubt you would have worn it out.

Perhaps the bolts that hold the plate on top of the conrtrol socket may be loose? You would find other problems with that though like going into reverse.

Why don't you take the top interior section off the shifter and have a look at the housing?
It must be something else?

As always

H

·
Registered
352 Posts
Murray, i've been thinking about this and there is something else it could be that is fairly easy to check

On the bottom of the shifter there are two bushes with a bolt going through that actually hold the shifter onto the actual geat selector. Or, that bolt is loose.

Both of these are fairly easy to check.

Jack the car up, take the rubber surround off the bottom of the gearbox and have a look see.

As always

H

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 350z gearbox is famous for not having rubber bushings. That's why our shifter vibrates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts