Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have bought a Sparco shift knob; just because I like it's look a little more than the standard black. The question is: How do you get the old one off without damaging the tranny ? Thanks pc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some have more trouble than others but I was able to just unscrew mine with a lot of effort. You won't damage the tranny by unscrewing it by hand or with a cloth and wrench

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just replaced my shift knob tonight. What I had to do was lift the counsel so I can get to the shifter rod under the shift boot. Once I got in there, there is another rubber boot, you have to roll back the very top of that to access the rod it self. Once I did that I used vise grips and clamped them onto the rod. I tried to twist the shift knob off and hold onto the vise grips at the same time but I didnt have enough leverage. I had to use a strap wrench on the shift knob, that way it wouldnt damage the knob and I'd get mroe leverage. One hand I'd hold the vice grip and the other hand I turned the knob with the strap wrench.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts