Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Prototype for the G35 and the 350Z

Turbo Tim: "It features velocity stacks,an airflow diverter plate on the inside,long runners,aluminum construction and lots of plenum volume as well as stock TB location.This intake will work well on N/A and FI applications.We will be doing some dyno testing very soon on my twin turbo Z with an N/A car coming soon after that.Now this is the prototype and we are going to revise the inlet slightly so keep this in mind.Enjoy."

original source : http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158576

what do you guys think of this one?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
looks good for a prototype.. i still want the top secret one tho
You got a link to the Top Secret Plenum?

·
Registered
798 Posts
toykilla: sweet... that one is really nice

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Looks like it'd be more trouble than it's worth. It relocates the throttle body into a completely different place, and doesn't look like it's low enough for the stock strut bar. Plus, the $ you spend on Top Secret is going to be a lot more than your average intake manifold. Does this keep the MAF sensor, or do you switch to MAP?

The one Ayman posted looks pretty restrictive to me, but I've never heard anything about it. I'm interested in more info.

·
Registered
798 Posts
the one ayman posted.... doesnt it look huge? or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Josh, the Top Secret Plenum looks very interesting, but do they make that one for the Z? You know of a vendor that sells that one?

Josh, just to confirm, the picture you posted of the Top Secret Plenum wasn't of their plenum on a Z, was it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Alright I read through the post on My350z.....people were talking about this plenum.....then about a dual throttle body setup and dual MAF sensors.....**** it is possible....with standalone ECU.......

They did it for the 300z's twin MAF's split style plenum......just a question who will do it first....if I had the money I would....just for the sake of trying it

my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Ok, without getting into fluid dynamics, and taking into account that this is only a prototype, I'm gonna point out a few obvious flaws with that design in the hopes that someone will see this and correct the design or make a similar one that fixes what I see wrong. That being said:

First: The twin outward plenum design (as pictured) works best with individual throttle bodies for each bank. Re: Lamborghini motors. Viper motors. Etc. So, basically that's more restrictive as pictured because the intake runs around the outside (more distance for the volume of air to travel) and then meets in the center for the MAF and filter.

If you wanna keep a single MAF and filter, a better design would be like the Top Secret's one. A good idea is to put the maf and filter forward of the motor as well, like they do. Also, it would be better to keep the banks closer together and down the center instead of away and at the sides.

Second: If you want dual MAF and filter, there will have to be electrical duplicates sent to both units. Might be easy, might be hard. I dont know, I'm a pilot not an electrician. But thats the only way a setup like pictured makes sense, if each bank branches with a filter away from the engine with it's own MAF to control airflow. This should be done at the first set of black couplings.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Not being known to sugar-coat things I'll skip to the chase...

Without seeing the inside of the thing, from a functional standpoint it looks like an abortion. It appears that this part is geared more towards the crowd that wants an aesthetically pleasing part or the guys who say "I just want something different..." as opposed to actual performance concerns.

My 2 Pesos
Ronin Z

1 - 20 of 21 Posts