Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I was driving today and noticed the Service Engine Soon light turn on, and my friend tells me there's something wrong with my car.
I thought it was telling me to get my oil changed, does anyone know why this light lit up? I have 2,660 miles and haven't had a single oil change yet, could this be the reason? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
276 Posts
It could be that you didnt click the gas cap after filling up. That happened to me ones. The dealer charged around $80 to reset. Im not sure if this is the case though.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
There's no way that should be related to oil. And j's probably right about it being the gas cap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill check the gas cap, and I only have an injen intake on it, using only the shortram portion of it. thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt it, I had my intake installed for about a month now, and I noticed the light today. There has also been a lot of rain fall, if that could affect anything. All the gutters are flooded :x

·
Registered
130 Posts
After you check you gas cap you might want to un-hook your battery for atleast a minute to let the compter in your car reset. The check engine light on my Ford Explorer came on from the gas cap not being on correctly and all I had to do was un-hook my battery, but my friend said to make sure you do it for atleast a minute or it will not work. It might save you from having the dealer charging you to look at it.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Check what the gas cap looks like too.. I know this sounds strange but the same thing happened to me when I got my car. A few thousands miles, and I get the CEL. Poor fuel pressure or somethin.

Turns out they gave me an aftermarket gascap.. dont know wtf happened to my OEM one. But it was a brand new car when I got it, so who knows..

Check into that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it was the gas cap! i opened it and rescrewed it on with one click and the light stayed, but when I screwed it on with two clicks, the light went away. I knew it had to click, but i guess once wasnt enough. thanks for the help guys!! :clap:

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/quote]
None of the solutions I have read about on this subject have solved the same problem in my 2003z, Including the ones on thes forum.
Man, I sure don't like taking my car back to the dealer, but I'm still warrantied.

·
Registered
470 Posts
doesnt the service engine soon light mean that ur cars service is near ? or is it a some kind of a failure that the computer detects?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Mine went on because apparently there was an Injen 'piece' still on the OEM intake tube that was affecting the MAF readings. The previous owner had the Injen intake and took it out but forgot one little piece.

And yes, the manual does state that the gas cap must be secure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I keep on getting an Service engine soon light whenever I'm at idle for 10 minutes or so. Dealer claims its because the car is running lean due to the Nitrous being isntalled and the light flywheel that the computer thinks its runnign lean. Any solutions for that? Dealer said its not creating problems, its just the aftermarket mods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1-Check Gas Cap for any dents and get more gas. Drive a few miles and maybe Light go out.
2. Do this
it works on 350z, i ve already did it. Drive a few miles, if light goes on, try to remove injen and put stock and redo to check if light goes on. Sometimes when ECU detects a change on how many air is inducted, it indicates throug CEL, but it´s not a problem, just the light CEL will be annoying.
3. Inspect your filter and clean it. Never touch your MAS (Mas airflow Sensor).

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
^^^
Step 1. Check date on posts before clicking on reply.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Come on, there is a sudden in-flux of noobs that can't read dates!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts