Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://
Senate votes to reduce guest workers allowed in U.S.

• 74-24 Senate vote means guest workers allowed will be cut in half
• 200,000 guest workers will be allowed, according to measure
• Immigration law would offer 12 million illegal immigrants chance at citizenship WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate on Wednesday overwhelmingly voted to cut in half the number of guest workers that would be allowed into the United States under a controversial immigration overhaul backed by the White House.

The 74-24 vote was the first major change to a "grand bargain" unveiled last week and sent to the Senate floor for debate on Monday.

Senators voted to reduce the number of guest workers that would be allowed into the country from 400,000 to 200,000.

Democratic Sen. Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico, the leading advocate of the amendment, said 200,000 guest workers would be "plenty."

"This is an unproven, untested, brand-new program," he said. "We need to see how it's working. We need to see the impact that it's having on other wage rates in this country."

But Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania said the 400,000 figure was chosen as a result of "very careful analysis and consideration."

"We had hearings in the Judiciary Committee where prominent economists stepped forward to testify about the importance of immigrant help," Specter said. "We have an economy that relies on immigrants for hospitals, for hotels, for farms, for landscapers and many lines."

The immigration bill is the result of a deal struck after nearly three months of bipartisan talks and endorsed by the White House last week.

It would offer the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants now in the United States a path to citizenship, boost border controls and establish a guest-worker program that would grant workers a two-year residency.

Conservative critics have blasted it as "amnesty" for illegal immigrants, while liberals have raised concerns that the guest-worker program would create a permanent underclass.

Bingaman's amendment was the second of two Democratic proposals aimed at drastically altering the bipartisan "grand compromise."

The first, which would have eliminated the guest worker program, was voted down Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When you filed your taxes this year,or last year,did you owe the Government money?You have to pay that debt,don't you!
This deal (amnesty), our Government is making with the illegals in our country.If they owe back taxes, they don't have to pay their tax debt!I heard this on Lou Dobbs the other night.
I don't know about you!But I like to be kissed when I'm getting ******.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
When you filed your taxes this year,or last year,did you owe the Government money?You have to pay that debt,don't you!
This deal (amnesty), our Government is making with the illegals in our country.If they owe back taxes, they don't have to pay their tax debt!I heard this on Lou Dobbs the other night.
I watch Lou Dobbs, and I feel the same way.

I was thinking that the Middle Class needs to just stop paying taxes. Just stop. What are they going to do....arrest the Middle Class?!?!?!? They won't even stop illegals from coming into the US, much less from not paying taxes!

If the US Gov't apparently wants to cripple this economy by allowing millions of non educated people to be in the US. By uneducated I mean the US is not getting Doctors, and Engineers flooding the border at a rate of over 10,000 per day! We're getting the uneducated and poor, that Mexico wants to get rid of.

There are hundreds of thousands of people from foreign countries ,who have filled out immigration paperwork, and have been waiting 10 years or more. A lot of these are the skilled people the US could benefit from. This country already has enough busboys, landscapers, nannies, and concrete workers. I am so goddamn tired of seeing George W. saying these are jobs that Americans won't do. ****, I do all my own landscaping. I do most of my own construction, including concrete work.....

If we need "Guest Workers" then let's invite these "Guests" from countries we want, for jobs that will help the US. Not the other way around.

George W. Bush is the best President.

The best President Mexico has ever had.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts

I was thinking that the Middle Class needs to just stop paying taxes. Just stop. What are they going to do....arrest the Middle Class?!?!?!? They won't even stop illegals from coming into the US, much less from not paying taxes!

If the US Gov't apparently wants to cripple this economy by allowing millions of non educated people to be in the US. By uneducated I mean the US is not getting Doctors, and Engineers flooding the border at a rate of over 10,000 per day! We're getting the uneducated and poor, that Mexico wants to get rid of.

There are hundreds of thousands of people from foreign countries ,who have filled out immigration paperwork, and have been waiting 10 years or more. A lot of these are the skilled people the US could benefit from. This country already has enough busboys, landscapers, nannies, and concrete workers. I am so goddamn tired of seeing George W. saying these are jobs that Americans won't do. ****, I do all my own landscaping. I do most of my own construction, including concrete work.....

If we need "Guest Workers" then let's invite these "Guests" from countries we want, for jobs that will help the US. Not the other way around.

+1
We have a system that is in place that works for guest workers it is called the h2b visa. It allows foreign workers (of our choosing) to fill jobs in certain sectors and area's have the country that have a hard time being filled. They only allow them for 9 months of the year and can’t become legal citizens. As far as illegal immigration. I think we need to hold companies that hire them accountable. If there are no jobs here because companies are afraid to hire them they won't come. If we expand our h2b program that will allow our jobs to be filled. This will also allow peoples from other countries, not just Mexico to benefit economically as well.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts

+1

Another no-brainer would be to repeal this silly rule that if you're born here, you're American. That should be amended to read, "if your parents are here legally..." This amendment also provides a solution to the 'breaking up the family' recent outcry - reunite the whole family back from where they came.

And the real kicker to this program which has me dumbfounded is that despite the amnesty for 12mil (read >20mil+) illegals that just want to work here, we still need 400,000 a year for our farms. Hey what happened to those 12million folks? Even as a day laborer, most Mexicans make more in an hour than they do in a week in Mexico? What other job could you give an uneducated and unskilled worker? This influx has already caused irreparable damage to our society and infrastructure (e.g. language, education, health care). The time where America needs to populate their vast lands with the poor and the wretched is well past its prime. I agree, let's get some folks who will help bring up the standards. I sincerely have compassion for the illegal plight but after a while, you have to start protecting your turf if you value what you've created. We just can't solve all the world's problems.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:rolf2: I agree.

:clap: Bravo. Well said. I especially liked the comment about the middle class. We're getting hammered because we make up the majority of the economic population. We're the biggest targets. It sucks.

There are a lot of educated immigrants that want to come here, and there are a lot of US companies what want them here. They're cheaper and work hard for their families. I don't see that with a lot of Americans. All they care about is the house and the car - which doesn't look good if you ask me.

+1

Another no-brainer would be to repeal this silly rule that if you're born here, you're American. That should be amended to read, "if your parents are here legally..." This amendment also provides a solution to the 'breaking up the family' recent outcry - reunite the whole family back from where they came.
I believe that they are slowly doing away with the dual citizenship rule.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
:I believe that they are slowly doing away with the dual citizenship rule.
SmoothZ, I think that addresses a slightly different issue but maybe I'm mistaken. In law, they have a term called 'fruit of the poisonous tree' whereby any evidence that was obtained from a violation of the law can not be used against you and is therefore not admissible in court e.g. improper search and seizure. I think it applies to my suggestion on not granting automatic citizenship. If you are here illegally, then your children who are born in this country are not necessarily citizens that we then all have to now support. That would provide less incentive to come here and crank out a few 'citizens' to help your cause. Repeal that law and the argument that we are deporting American citizens and breaking up families all goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts