Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-03 (245/35/ZR19 fronts and 275/35/ZR19 rears). The rears are approaching replacement.

I was thinking of purchasing another set of S-03s for the rear (the fronts are still good).

However, will upgrading to semi slick compound tyres for the rear improve the Z's launch and equally important the shift from first into second.

I have found that the Z33, in its own right, is a fantastic performer down the straight. However, what can "upset" the drag strip times is having too much wheel spin from a standing start. Furthermore, many Z33 owners on this forum have sufficient power to break traction when they shift into second.

Do you think I am just too optimistic by thinking that a set of semi-slicks rear tyres will improve my 0-100kmh times and ultimately my 0-400m times.

I can imagine that if the Z launched as well as cars like the STi/EVO, we would be putting a few surprises on the faces of EVO/STi owners at the traffic lights.

Interested to hear your thoughts, particularly those who have semi-slick tyres in the rear (and fronts if you visit the track regularly :p )

Thanks and regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
a bit of wheelspin off the line is good for the car

u dont want to rev the car up, let the clutch out and make the diff soak up all that energy, or else you'll be replacing diffs as often as WRX owners

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
What David and Sam said.

There are some Comp-R Semi slicks that come in 19" (like the $1000 a corner Michelin Pilot Sport Cups the M3 CSL uses), but they're few and far between...and obviously not cheap.

And since you're making the tyres grippier, the stress from hard launches will get absorbed elsewhere (your diff, your clutch, your gearbox) - one of these is going to wear out faster.

Big rims are always bad for drag racing. Unless you're running lightweight forged wheels, your wheel will weigh more. Having such a low sidewall means the tyre construction naturally reinforces sidewalls to avoid smashing your rims, reducing flex to give you more squat.

It will also ruin the cornering and streetability of your Z. While your tyres are cold, or in the wet, your car is going to be dangerously oversteery. When they heat up, your car is going to plough understeer like a big FWD sedan. And you'll be lucky to get 8000km out of a pair....

The Z33 in itself is not a good drag car. Your weight distribution is front heavy, which means even with a weight shift pressure over your driving wheels to give traction in a launch.

The rear suspension is also quite stiff, which also reduces the Z33's desire to squat on the rears.

And with the rear suspension geometry being designed for cornering, the more the suspension compresses the more effective camber it gives. Great for power-out grip, but bad for straight line launches.

When I was at WSID, I ran RT215s on the rear and warmed them up with a burnout first. Most of my "wheelspin" off the line was axle tramp, not necessarily excess power.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What David and Sam said.

There are some Comp-R Semi slicks that come in 19" (like the $1000 a corner Michelin Pilot Sport Cups the M3 CSL uses), but they're few and far between...and obviously not cheap.

And since you're making the tyres grippier, the stress from hard launches will get absorbed elsewhere (your diff, your clutch, your gearbox) - one of these is going to wear out faster.

Big rims are always bad for drag racing. Unless you're running lightweight forged wheels, your wheel will weigh more. Having such a low sidewall means the tyre construction naturally reinforces sidewalls to avoid smashing your rims, reducing flex to give you more squat.

It will also ruin the cornering and streetability of your Z. While your tyres are cold, or in the wet, your car is going to be dangerously oversteery. When they heat up, your car is going to plough understeer like a big FWD sedan. And you'll be lucky to get 8000km out of a pair....
The Z33 in itself is not a good drag car. Your weight distribution is front heavy, which means even with a weight shift pressure over your driving wheels to give traction in a launch.

The rear suspension is also quite stiff, which also reduces the Z33's desire to squat on the rears.

And with the rear suspension geometry being designed for cornering, the more the suspension compresses the more effective camber it gives. Great for power-out grip, but bad for straight line launches.
When I was at WSID, I ran RT215s on the rear and warmed them up with a burnout first. Most of my "wheelspin" off the line was axle tramp, not necessarily excess power.
Thanks for the comprehensive advice.

I think I'll stick to the S-03s.

Kind regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Do you think I am just too optimistic by thinking that a set of semi-slicks rear tyres will improve my 0-100kmh times and ultimately my 0-400m times.

Yes, the times will certainly improve. There are some people in the States running flat 13sec 400m passes with nothing else but R-spec tyres. From what I know, you can expect good 1/2 - 1sec improvement in your 400m times if you put on R-spec tyres on a 2WD car.

Though, R-spec tyres will only grip when they have heat in them ... otherwise they have about as much grip as driving on oil.

Also as other people have mentioned, launching with 'sticky' tyres will create a lot more stress on the car. Does not mean that it will break it, but you have a better chance of doing so than with normal tyres.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Toyo 'R' Spec RA1's make a great street/track/drag tyres but are not available in 19's only up to 18's and will only last for approx 15000km if your lucky.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If you're going to run 18" tyres and specifically want them for drag, I'd suggest Nitto 555Rs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Toyo 'R' Spec RA1's make a great street/track/drag tyres but are not available in 19's only up to 18's and will only last for approx 15000km if your lucky.

Cheers
Thanks everyone for their input. The notion of stress placed upon my differential is something I wasn't aware of.

Again, I will just stick to the S-03s. I think this gives me further inspiration to perfect my launch technique.

Regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
106 Posts
How much would a set of 4 19" SO3s set me back? (In sydney)
Or any other suggestions for around the same price?

I've been complaining about how sh!t my current tyres are (got them with the car, they don't even screach or anything... and the back would just come out.. or is it just me?).

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Toyo 'R' Spec RA1 is the same as the Nitto 555R it's also made in the Toyo plant, this is the info from the Melb Toyo Sports Tyre distributor.

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts