Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm running into some sticker shock regarding a sound system upgrade for my 2004 Roadster. I think we're all in agreement that the stock Bose system is fairly pathetic. I went to two local Car Toys outlets to see what they could do for me. All I really want is to add some Infinity Kappas in the doors and improve the existing 10" sub behind the seat. I'd just take those rear speakers out of the loop...who needs 'em?

All in all, to install the Kappas, install a 4-channel Eclipse amp under the passenger seat and throw in a JL Audio subwoofer (free-air install)...they wanted about $1100.

I just about flipped. I had no idea that installation labor was so spendy. (I'm not saying it's unreasonable; just that I had no idea.)

Question: Let's say I got the speakers and amp online. Are there any reputable companies around Seattle who could do the installation for me?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No? Anyone? Bueller?

Bueller?

Originally posted by SeattleZ@Sep 1 2005, 06:46 PM
Hey all,

I'm running into some sticker shock regarding a sound system upgrade for my 2004 Roadster. I think we're all in agreement that the stock Bose system is fairly pathetic. I went to two local Car Toys outlets to see what they could do for me. All I really want is to add some Infinity Kappas in the doors and improve the existing 10" sub behind the seat. I'd just take those rear speakers out of the loop...who needs 'em?

All in all, to install the Kappas, install a 4-channel Eclipse amp under the passenger seat and throw in a JL Audio subwoofer (free-air install)...they wanted about $1100.

I just about flipped. I had no idea that installation labor was so spendy. (I'm not saying it's unreasonable; just that I had no idea.)

Question: Let's say I got the speakers and amp online. Are there any reputable companies around Seattle who could do the installation for me?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!!
[snapback]151584[/snapback]​

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can probably change the speakers yourself. There is thread here with detailed instructions and pictures on how to take the doors apart. It literally takes no effort to do it, I did it this weekend in my 05 Z. Changing the sub is just as easy. If you do that yourself, then maybe you can get someone to just install the amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That might be a good idea. It would save some $$$ on the install, for sure. Some shops will install a head unit "free", which would eliminate the need to installl a converter from the stock Bose unit out to the new amp, speakers and sub.

I'll do more research! Thanks for the idea.
-------------------------------

Originally posted by josemorabito@Sep 6 2005, 11:31 AM
You can probably change the speakers yourself. There is thread here with detailed instructions and pictures on how to take the doors apart. It literally takes no effort to do it, I did it this weekend in my 05 Z. Changing the sub is just as easy. If you do that yourself, then maybe you can get someone to just install the amp.
[snapback]152979[/snapback]​

·
Registered
30 Posts
A word of caution, the windows are hitting my speakers when I roll them down. :banghead: :banghead: I've bought some spacers to see if that works.....

I hadn't noticed cause I live in HOT Florida and I had not opened my windows.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I've read about that problem in other threads. I'm actually considering buying some CDT audio EF-series components. They have slimmer profiles, but still (supposedly) have killer sound. I just haven't found any to listen to around Seattle! Are they an east-coast-only brand or something?!?

I think your spacers will work fine. Are you driving a coupe? I have a roadster, and the windows automatically roll down when the top is lowered. It would suck to have the speakers blocking that movement!

Originally posted by josemorabito@Sep 15 2005, 12:12 PM
A word of caution, the windows are hitting my speakers when I roll them down. :banghead:  :banghead:  I've bought some spacers to see if that works.....

I hadn't noticed cause I live in HOT Florida and I had not opened my windows.....
[snapback]155345[/snapback]​

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a roadster. The speakers are only 1 3/4 inch mounting depth, which is pretty slim. THe CDTs are about that, so watch out. My concern with the spacers is that it may push the speaker out so much that the door panel won't close. I'll try it either tonight if I get home before dark, or this weekend.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to think of something....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PLEASE post again with your results. Let us know what you find out!

Originally posted by josemorabito@Sep 15 2005, 01:42 PM
...My concern with the spacers is that it may push the speaker out so much that the door panel won't close. I'll try it either tonight if I get home before dark, or this weekend.
If that doesn't work, I'll have to think of something....
[snapback]155364[/snapback]​

·
Registered
30 Posts
The metra spacers did the trick! I got the windows working perfectly, and there is enough room for the door panel to snap back on. :cheers:

The difference between the stock speaker (see Toykilla's How To thread) and the aftermarket speaker with the Metra spacer, is that the stock has the speaker flush with the end of the spacer ring, and the aftermarket speaker mounts on top of the spacer ring. This adds a little bit depth but it works fine. Both the stock and Metra spacers are the same depth (1"). The door panel DOES fit and the window DOES roll all the way down :irock:

Over the next week or two, I'll tackle the more ambitious project of moving the speakers I just installed to the back speakers location, put components in the front location and install , sub and amp....

Here's a link to the metra spacer.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Unive...roductDetail.do

I mounted the Pioneer 6 1/2" 3-Way Speakers (TS-A1671R), with a mounting depth of 1 3/4 inches.

Later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Were you able to replace the sub? What kind did you go with? How's it sound? Any pictures?

Hey all,

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts