Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's been years since ceramic coatings were first introduced for the DIYer, I'm wondering where the Z community stands on paint protection. When I first started working on my Redline Z back in 2002, I faced a choice between Zaino and Blackfire sealants and have been happy with my choice of Blackfire. Great shine, easy application and long lasting results (6-10 months). I've continued to layer it on the original factory paint for even longer results.

But when ceramic coatings were introduced to pro detailers, I watched with interest. Even longer protection with minimal upkeep and an actual barrier to protect my finish. After using CSL ceramic coating on my '08 Titan for a few years, I'm beginning to doubt all the hype. Yes, it goes on easy enough after you have properly cleaned and prepped the paint, but you must work in small sections to make sure it goes down correctly. And for a large vehicle like the titan, the protection for 24/7 outside storage seems to last only 6-8 months despite regular cleanings with auto soap and water.

I wonder what everybody else is currently using and how well it lasts? Those of you who swear by Turtle wax or a carnuba wax product are in a different world, but for most Z owners, I bet there's some good tips.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts