Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not to mechanically inclined, but want a little more outta my 350z. Im not looking for anything crazy and from what i read a super charger is the way to go for me. however, i have no idea how to install it, what else i need or what extra maintenance it needs and i dont care to learn. so, can any one recommend a shop in the valley or tucson that can install everything i need and keep it running till 100k. currently my daily car (doesnt have to be, but the thing is so **** fun) with ~42k so theres a lot of life left and i wanna keep it that way! thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Welcome to 350z tech -

what kit are you looking at? If you are looking at the ATI procharger or the Vortech kits try searching for a ford mustang or chevy camaro shops. Both companies offer a wide variety of SC kits for these platforms and a good mechanic will have no problem installing either kit and he will be happy to do your work. Just about every muscle-car guy I have ran into has complimented the look of the z and is (somewhat) impressed that a 3.5 liter engine can put down 400whp with a bolt on SC kit.

They are pretty inclusive so you wont need too much other than the all-inclusive kit but you may want to budget ~$400 for a quality oil cooler, $1000 for some nice gauges, $300 for a harmonic dampening crank pulley, $300 for engine dampener, $100 for temperature correct spark plugs - these are not all required but would preserve your engine.

YOU MUST GET A DYNO TUNE! plan on $400 for engine tuning - the procharger has fuel sliders that increase fuel pressure at different psi outputs - so a good dyno tech will tune your car in 3 to 5 dyno pulls.

Check out these sites for your kit -

Superchargers 4 Less

Import Parts Pro - Your #1 Source for Nissan and Infiniti Performance Parts

I would highly recommend Kyle at IPP but he is just going to order it straight from the manufactures but he runs a very good business and is the guy that answers the phone everytime - can't say enough about him.

I paid ~$6,000 for the kit and maybe another $2,000 for add ons, $1000 for install(which was the kit, the add ons and my initial tune). The install is pretty easy for an experienced mechanic but my mechanic said there were modifications required to complete the install that were NOT addressed by Procharger - nothing major, just not acknowledged by Procharger.

after everything is installed, tuned and given to you I would go to a different tuner and just verify the tune is good and that your air:fuel ratio is where it needs to be. My intial tune was seriously dicked up and I was running a 18:1 air:fuel ratio (if you don't know, the optimal ratio is about ~12:1).

If you are close to sea level expect 400whp and if you are 6000ft - 8000ft above sea level expect 350whp.

Your engine will take 450whp, so getting to 100k miles is very attainable but will depend on your routine maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@3point5

thanks for the tips. i would never have thought to look at a mustang or camaro shop. i was looking at the vortec SC, but im still doing research so nothings final. i was hoping to get a local shops input as well. i was planning on landing at around 8-9k so im glad to see its doable!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
The vortech is a good kit and has made some big steps. I bought the procharger kit because it was the most inclusive kit at the time. The vortech kit (at the time) did not have a tuning solution other than the 'split second' box. Either kit will put you at 400whp.

Is your car lowered and/or do you have wheels that are 19" or larger? If so and you go with the procharger (and check the vortech) you may want to consider a solution for the intake pipe that runs from the intercooler to the intake - it runs behind your splashguard on your drivers side and may rub on your front tire…many solutions to fix this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car is 100% stock (aside from a new nav/dvd unit) as of now. i plan on keeping it with stock suspension, rim size and factory tires. i have a celica on 19's and lowered 3 inches. while it looks good, its a pain to drive. i actually like being able to go over speed bumps with out worrying ;) plus our streets are a mess!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts