Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey CAR, hows that hitech going hehe..

which satnav you getting ?? the nissan factory one or VDO or something???

did you ever get your car tinted thru my mate? I havent spoken to him since that same day and he reckoned your car would look awesome with the mirror tint.. i woudlnt mind checking it out as well, esp with the screen done as well !!

cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gunna do it - but the satnav took my dough (sorta like a dingo got my baby). I've bought a Navman630 which just fits but I want it to look good....

·
Registered
889 Posts
I assume u bought the iCN 630? Where are you thinking of mounting it?

If it is the iCN 630 I think it will be hard to make it look good as this is a complete unit unlike a screen and seperate player.

Happy to bounce some ideas though if you can give me a indication on what you are after.

Michael

·
Registered
235 Posts
FUGGEN - if you've got a
navman 630, you'll be disappointed.

It's full of programming errors. At least once a day, turn right means turn left and so-on.

My Garmin leaves it for dead.

It's been back for repair 3 times in 4 months.

See my comments and mounting suggestions on the other forum (if it's up!)

FRIZZLEY

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is something that interests me too. I would love a SatNav in place of that stupid flap in the middle of my dash, but want it to look like it was factory fitted. All the photos I have seen of fitted units look like tacked-on accessories. Has anyone got a snap of a SatNav that looks like it was supposed t be there? Would love to see it...

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you look at the "other" site you will find Yun has put up some shots of his set up.

From memory it looked pretty good to!

As always

H

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yeah 7" LCD By Nesa has a the closest fit to the factory looks and i use VDO Dayton PC5400 fitted under the passenger seats.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Matthew. There is no Facia at all. Just fit on Straight. didn't change anything. Autobarn in Melbourne Elizabeth St do it for me.

One thing i found out. if you have the 2004 model which a flip up door thing. it's harder to do because the Box is attach to it. Where the 2003 is not so easly remove and replace it again.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was it an expensive unit? I guess you are happy with the overall function of the unit as well?
I have 04 Track of course so may cost me more...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
which unit you talking about?
The LCD cost me about AU$1000
The sat nav cost me about $2500
fitting cost about AU$250.

Oh yeah i'm happy alright. all does the work wonderfully, just like i wanted. But i need to find where to hang the remote controller for the Sat Nav Unit. I just left it unattached so just put it behind my passanger seat.

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice set up db. Does the SatNav unit just have RCA cables coming out of it to enable it to be plugged into any screen??

Just wondering if I could install it into the Kenwood DDX 7015 ??

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Perth you can get a Converter for the Older model. But the Newer model sat nav such as mine PC5400 have intergrated the RCA output already. If you bought the older model such as PC5100 or 5200. Then u need to get a Conversion from RGB to RCA output.

Plus it shouldn't be any problem to your Kenwood. The sat Nav is design to be Compatible to many different LCD screen. Therefore there is an option u can just buy the Unit only without the VDO screen.

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
227 Posts
sorry for digging up an old thread, but satnavs are starting to grow on me, haha and i'd like one fitted in my car if i can keep it forever.

hey Yun, u know the VDO units and lcd screen etc. can it be taken out if i sell my 350z in the future ? basically, i want to keep the satnav for my future cars. if i do this, will the sat nav work in the future ? or will outdated VDO cease to operate ?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
why not just buy a navman for under 1k instead

they do everything the VDO does, and more, they're portable

the navman icn520 is around $800 with touch screen, poi, and latest 05 maps (u can dl newer maps as their released). Navman have a new entry level icn320 that is around $480 from autobarn, it even lights up orange, no touch screen, but still a good unit with the same software as the icn520, And it will fit snug in the nav compartment

i could jusitfy spending a few hundred on nav, and will get around to it one day, but i wouldnt spend thousands

·
Registered
227 Posts
why not just buy a navman for under 1k instead

they do everything the VDO does, and more, they're portable

the navman icn520 is around $800 with touch screen, poi, and latest 05 maps (u can dl newer maps as their released). Navman have a new entry level icn320 that is around $480 from autobarn, it even lights up orange, no touch screen, but still a good unit with the same software as the icn520, And it will fit snug in the nav compartment

i could jusitfy spending a few hundred on nav, and will get around to it one day, but i wouldnt spend thousands
yeh i was thinking about those aswell. but didnt frosty say the navman are crap and full of errors ? for under $1000, they seem pretty good for what they are.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tomtom kills the Navman in terms of speed and user friendliness in every review. I haven't measured it up but it might just squeeze in the "compartment" too.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
the icn630 is a very old unit, and running very old software

the newer navmans are alot better. The only disadvantage with protable navs is they take a few minutes to start up, and going through tunnels they can lose satellite feed

re navman vs gamin vs tom tom, its all up to the individual I like the look and feel of the navmans, the tom tom looks a little weird and not handheld/mountable friendly with its imac like shape, but i havent played around with one yet, nor do i know how much they are

Guy which one do u have? the 300 or 500? How much was it?

i dont think there is a cheaper portable nav out there than the navman icn320

1 - 20 of 34 Posts