Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I suspect this has been a topic that has been around before but, here goes anyway...I am looking around for an aftermarket sat nav system and wanted to see whether any of you had any experience or views on the best system to fit in the dash pocket above the radio and who I might best get to do the work.

I saw a UK system that looked like it had a nice big screen but it doesn't appear to be in Aus. Can't recall the name, I think it was AV...something but it doesn't really matter if it is not in Aus anyway.

Are there systems that simply use a display unit purchased separately? I also would like it to go through the sound system although that's not critical I guess.

Any help would be much appreciated as there's actually very little in the forum generally I think. (At least my search for "satellite navigation" revealed very little. But I may have stuffed it up.)

Cheers

·
Registered
785 Posts
Easiest solution I think is to use PDA with either Navman maps or Travroute software maps (the latter being the better).
If you use a bluetooth enabled PDA then you can buy a bluetooth gps receiver with map software for around $600.00
Then just use a magnetic mount for your pda & you don't have to cut into your zed and it is fully portable as well!
Just a note, if you have a 04 zed with the new type console cover that does not fold in, then you will find it almost impossible to fit a screen in the dash pocket as all the gearing for the open/close mechanism runs along either side now.
Hope this helps?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh I'm going to have to disagree with the PDA thing. I have found them to run slower than need be and not work as well as an in dash GPS unit. I like the Eclipes APN2454 unit. I have in in mine and it works great with many added bonus's like MP3's and DVD.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I can't comment on indash units. I already had a pda with bluetooth so i went this way because of cost. In Oz, a decent in dash unit costs around $1800.00 plus install, way too much moula!

I can say that the latest Travroute software (recently updated) is very good (uses the sensis maps) & works well for me...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mickyboy, the PDA with Bluetooth, for $600, is that come with the PDA? I think the cheapest PDA GPS map is around $900 from JB Hi Fi after hard bargan

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bluetooth GPS receiver + map software around $600.00
PDA is seperate (I got my ipaq for $500.00 bluetooth & wi-fi)
I think you can buy a pda with the software and receiver ie navman oin (or something like that) for $850.00 from strathfield and such places?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by ssgtbarclay@Dec 30 2004, 06:01 PM
Oh I'm going to have to disagree with the PDA thing. I have found them to run slower than need be and not work as well as an in dash GPS unit. I like the Eclipes APN2454 unit. I have in in mine and it works great with many added bonus's like MP3's and DVD.

Hey,

I don't suppose you know if Aus maps are availab;e on these units do you? Is it at all possible to see a picture of the unit installed in your Z?

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by mickyboy@Dec 31 2004, 07:04 AM
Bluetooth GPS receiver + map software around $600.00
PDA is seperate (I got my ipaq for $500.00 bluetooth & wi-fi)
I think you can buy a pda with the software and receiver ie navman oin (or something like that) for $850.00 from strathfield and such places?

I've seen the Navman iCN510 which is a neat and quite small and portanle unit. The guy at Strathfield, yuk!, tells me I can put it wherever I want, i.e. I don't have to have it in line of sight with the satellites. Does that sound right? I don't want to stick it on my windscreen and would rather fit it, somehow, in the dash pocket.

Thanks for the discussion guys.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Like I said I am using my pda with gps software. I bought a bracket (metal) and bolted it inside the pocket & used a magnetic attachment to secure the pda when it is in use.
The bracket is adjustable & swings in & out as I need to use it.
The magnetic holder is available from auto stores and is mainly used for holding your mobile. It cost me $15.00 but was worth it! The metal bracket I bought from a marine store and cost $50.00.

PICS:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, I tried a PDA, in my SS that only has a sunroof, and I ended up giving it back! I just couldn't hear it at all! What have you done with your solution so you can hear it?

I tried the Mio 168. Even with everything turned off, windows and roof shut, it was somewhat difficult to understand. Witht he roof alone open it was completely useless. With a window down I couldn't hear that it was even saying anything, let alone understand it.

The software wasn't too bad but I doubt my wife would be able to use it on her own. We also found the screen a little difficult to read in bright sunlight. (Which is obviously going to be the case more in a convertible than with only a sunroof.)

So it us back to the drawing board. I'm now in discussion with Navman about their iCN510 but cannot help but think it will suffer from the same problem as it also has a small onboard speaker. I do think it will be easier to read though and, as it is a dedicated GPS, will likely be easier for my wife to use.

If only there was an option to install the full-blown factory Nav system! (I don't think this is available here in Aus from Nissan but costs ~$4k anyway which is pretty steep!)

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mate, that's exactly what I'm looking for! My only questions are, can I get one in Australia with Australian maps and how much are they.

Thanks heaps. I'll do some searching and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Try e-mailing the company as far as the maps go and there should be someone that would ship it to you. As far as cost goes I paid 2 thousand for it and the installation along with the Eclipes rear view camera.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by ssgtbarclay@Jan 10 2005, 11:51 PM
I have the APN2454 GPS Deck and I have never regreted it. It is awsome all the way from it talking you to your destination to the point of playing MP3's.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/avn/avn_top.htm

I got in touch with these guys and, unfortunately, they are not available in Australia. :( Typical! I've also asked Fujitsu, who make them, what else they would suggest for me but they've not bothered to respond so far.

Lastly, I even contacted Nissan about the factory offering and, surprise, surprise, they do not offer it in Australia either!

Oh well, I think I'll drop it back in the too hard basket for now.

Thanks all

·
Registered
24 Posts
[/quote]
\

I am happy with the vdo dayton and accompanying screen fits in dash well.
DVD through it too.
Neta screen an OK cheaper screen alternative too...Now who has it too?..m.chapman I think

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello People!

Im new to the site and any info i can provide on computers and electronics i am happy to help. I currently own a Harvey Norman Computer Franchise and we sell Sat NAV everyday of the week. My best suggestion after playing with all the current sat nav products on the market is the new NAVMAN ICN610! This model is exclusive to Harvey Norman so you wont see it any of those other so called computer and electronic retailers!!! :nana:

The ICN610 comes with the latest 2005 map downloads with one of if not the best software and map data available in a unit for less that $1000!! The unit is a standalone in car navigation unit which is portable or if you can find a handy installer can easily modify to suit the old and the new 04 Z!!!

Please ask questions if anyone would like to know more!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome to the boards (and Zed ownership) Narsty!!!

Where abouts are you located?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/quote]

Welcome aboard and thanks for the advice. To be honest I'd just about given up! Got a quote for some Siemens in-car solution that ran at around $5,800 and simply couldn't justify it.

I'm assuming the 610 has a half decent speaker, 2'? From your experience would you say that it would be audible enough in a convertible with the roof down? I've also been told that an iPod RF converter can be attached to tune the radio into it but, obviously, that means no music when you want to listen to the Nav, but that's fair enough.

Maybe I won't give up just yet. :)

What sort of Z you got?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts