Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
David, I've got more clips, but the one I uploaded is my best I think... the others are not as interesting.

Have you got one where DavidC with his TT blowsa by you? Would be cool to see the difference on acceleration on screen. Even if you chop it down so that the clip coves only 30sec or so while the TT is around.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ah yeah, forgot about that one. Here is a video of me in front of DavidC, then eating his dust. Then eating DavidM's dust too.

Excellent :) Shame that you can't read the speedo in the clips ... maybe you can read it in the original recording?

Also to clarify the 'eating dust' part, I'm guessing that the DavidC fly-by is while you've got the foot to the floor, while when I fly by Iggy lifts off for a moment.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had a good look at the clips ... looks like Iggy is using all the track, which is great. Both Iggy and Daniel have pretty good lines.

Also you can see exactly where DavidC made up those 7sec (or so) during the day. In the posted clip he's using only about 3/4 if thge track (at most) ... good 1m off the apexes and then another meter is still left on the exit. In the 2 session where we were chasing each other that was no longer the case.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks David :) Yeah I was pretty happy with my lines, I need to work on my braking points and the kink out the back. The other thing you will see on that video (turn 1 especially) is I am still using a front-wheel drive technique where I throw the car into the corner and push it out wide (which is what you do because of understeer in a FWD). Scathing tried his best to explain this to me when we went for that first run in Sydney, but I guess I am still a creature of habit! :)

There's another Sandown event with the Maserati club coming up... that could be fun. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
There is another one too by Event O'neil. On the 26 oct at Sandown. you'll get an instructors from Carrera cup pro driver. and get some hot laps on Featured cars. Maybe there will be a Ferrari F430 owner in it as last event they have 1 owner of Ferrari F430.

The problem with this event is Expensive ($285 include lunch) and No timing allowed.

http://www.eventsoneill.com/templates/one/...peats=1&secID=1

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If Sandown is what you guys are after, then here's a list of events through the car-clubs (ie. like the Alfa one we went to):
- October 16th = Sandown (NDSOC club)
- October 23rd = Sandown (Maserati club)
- October 29th = Sandown (HSV club)

That's it 'till the end of the year though .. .at least for Sandown via car-clubs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dave...sounds like sandown octoberfest to me. is anyone thinking of going to these events?? i wouldnt mind going to sandwon again. would be fun and especially, i personally would want to beat my original timings from my first meet.

iggy, all i could managed from the video clip of last sundays aroca sprint was about 60mb. i know it sounds big, but ill try again and see if i can reduce it any further. if not then im lost for options.

cheer
owen

·
Registered
293 Posts
Owen, make sure you're using max compression for 320x240 res.

I am planning on going to O'neill day. My mate is an instructor there and it could be fun. The only thing I am worried about is my tyres....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
all i could managed from the video clip of last sundays aroca sprint was about 60mb

Hey Owen, where do you live? If you're anywhere near me then maybe I can give ytou a hand with getting the clips to a manageable size.

is anyone thinking of going to these events?? i wouldnt mind going to sandwon again. would be fun and especially, i personally would want to beat my original timings from my first meet.

I highly recommend it ... especially now that you have your CAMS license, club membership and extinquisher. All you have to do is fill in a form and fax it off.

Me, I'm looking for a different track to go to next as I've got my Sandown fix for the moment. As I mentioned elsewhere, Winton, Phillip Island and DECA are on the cards for me. Still, if anyone is interested in going to Sandown then I'd be more than happy to pop in and 'supervise'.

I am planning on going to O'neill day ... The only thing I am worried about is my tyres.

As long as you're not worried about exposing the canvas, you should have no problems.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dave, iggy..ive managed to re-edit 1 clip into 2 of 21mb each at low quality level, 320x240. Still is pretty much viewable, but i think it could be done better. anyway, iggy if you would like to host these 2 clips, id be more then happy to hand them over to you. dave if you want, you can help me out with the editting even further. i live in endeavour hills by the way, just outside of dandenong. let me know what youre thoughts are.

cheers
owen

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ive managed to re-edit 1 clip into 2 of 21mb each at low quality level, 320x240. Still is pretty much viewable, but i think it could be done better.

How long are the clips (ie. in time)? Generally speaking you should end up with about 6Mb per full lap of footage (at 320x240). That is about 4Mb per minute.

i live in endeavour hills by the way, just outside of dandenong. let me know what youre thoughts are.

I live in Mentone ... that's about 15 - 20km from where you are. Not exaclty neighbours, but if you're still having problems then we'll sort something out.

Meanwhile here are some basic instuctions of what you should do to get the size down:
1) Open Windows Movie Maker (from 'start > programs > accesories')
2) Drag your original clip in the working pane (ie. into the collections).
3) Drag the clip from the working pane (ie. main area) onto the 1st story-board frame (ie. at the bottom of the window).
4) CTRL+P to save the movie. This will open the save dialog box
5) Select "save on the comuter" (ie. the 1st option), followed by 'next'.
6) Enter whatever name/location you like, followed by 'next'.
7) Select 'other settings' from the movie settings dialog.
8) Select "high quality video (small)" from the list of options for 'other settings'. This will tell you in the bottom right of the dialog that you've selected 320x240, 4:3, 25fps format. Then click 'next'.
9) Wait a few minutes as the movie is being saved and you're done.

How big is the file now?

·
Registered
125 Posts
ive managed to re-edit 1 clip into 2 of 21mb each at low quality level, 320x240. Still is pretty much viewable, but i think it could be done better.

How long are the clips (ie. in time)? Generally speaking you should end up with about 6Mb per full lap of footage (at 320x240). That is about 4Mb per minute.

i live in endeavour hills by the way, just outside of dandenong. let me know what youre thoughts are.

I live in Mentone ... that's about 15 - 20km from where you are. Not exaclty neighbours, but if you're still having problems then we'll sort something out.

Meanwhile here are some basic instuctions of what you should do to get the size down:
1) Open Windows Movie Maker (from 'start > programs > accesories')
2) Drag your original clip in the working pane (ie. into the collections).
3) Drag the clip from the working pane (ie. main area) onto the 1st story-board frame (ie. at the bottom of the window).
4) CTRL+P to save the movie. This will open the save dialog box
5) Select "save on the comuter" (ie. the 1st option), followed by 'next'.
6) Enter whatever name/location you like, followed by 'next'.
7) Select 'other settings' from the movie settings dialog.
8) Select "high quality video (small)" from the list of options for 'other settings'. This will tell you in the bottom right of the dialog that you've selected 320x240, 4:3, 25fps format. Then click 'next'.
9) Wait a few minutes as the movie is being saved and you're done.

How big is the file now?
hi dave

thanks for your help with windows movie maker. it did actually help a bit but not by much. and yes you are right. one full lap was about 4 to 5mb long. so all in all, we were all driving more then one lap and i included all the laps as part of the footage to make clip. from 21mb its now down to about 19mb. the first clip is 5mins and the second is about 2-3mins long.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
thanks for your help with windows movie maker.

np at all. I cut up and compress all the clips I put up with Movie Maker. It does the trick if all you want to do is cut things up and compress them.

from 21mb its now down to about 19mb. the first clip is 5mins and the second is about 2-3mins long.

I did not realize that you had that much footage. ~20Mb for ~8mins of footage is not bad at all. I don't think you can get it much smaller without making it look crap, and in a really small window. Let's Hope Iggy will host it for you as it would be great to see it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
thanks for your help with windows movie maker.

np at all. I cut up and compress all the clips I put up with Movie Maker. It does the trick if all you want to do is cut things up and compress them.

from 21mb its now down to about 19mb. the first clip is 5mins and the second is about 2-3mins long.

I did not realize that you had that much footage. ~20Mb for ~8mins of footage is not bad at all. I don't think you can get it much smaller without making it look crap, and in a really small window. Let's Hope Iggy will host it for you as it would be great to see it.

all up i think i have 15 minutes of footage. the picture quality was starting to detiorate a bit when i began following your instructions t ocompress the files. but nonetheless viewable. i dont think i will reduce it down any further. as it is, it looks good and the quality is ok, but not crystal.

cheers
owen

·
Registered
125 Posts
hey iggy...just wondering if you received a PM from me last week i think. i mentioned i had trouble trying to log into your FTP site to download those clips. for some reason i cannot seem to gain access. ive tried it in windows logon and in DOS mode in windows. even tried disabling my firewall. nothing seems to work. im pretty sure ive used the correct username and password as well. any ideas?

cheers
owen.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts