Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like everyone had a great time at Sandown ... great weather, well run events and 6 Zeds ripping up the track. Also it was great to see all the people who came to see us ... it's just a shame that I did not get a change to have a good chat to everyone. Still, I hope that the guys who came to have a look did have a good time.

As far as the track day went, I think that everyone really surpassed the expectations ... the times that were put down were really impressive in particular considering that some people have not been at Sandown before (or even to at the track). The best times for everyone were as follows (from memory):
- me, 350Z Track Manual (with RE55s, Hi-tech exhaust , springs) = 1:28.6
- DavidC, 350Z Track Manual (with TT, RA-1s, Springs/shocks/sways) = 1:29.4
- Yun, 350Z Track Manual (with exhaust, and coilovers) = 1:31.4
- Daniel, 350Z Touring Auto (stock) = 1:33.7
- Iggy, 350Z Track Manual (with Hi-tech exhaust) = 1:33.8
- Owen, 350Z Track Manual (with APS exhaust) = 1:40.2

Yun's time was really impressive as he improved in leaps and bounds ... looks like you're really getting hang of the car. Also DavidC's time was beyond expectation ... in one of the session DavidC was a few car-lengths behind me and I could not loose him ... actually he pulled of his PB in that session and that lap was quicker than any of my laps while ahead of him. It looked like Owen was going to break into 1:39s, but it just did not happen on the day. Still, that's not bad at all considering that it's the 1st time ever on the track (or really pushing the car). Times will come with experience.

So all in all great day and really topped of by the BBQ/drinks at Daniel's place. Thanks heaps again as it was a great way to finish off the day.

ps. Some other cars/times of the day were:
- Mitsubishi GTO (race-prepped, R-spec tyres) = 1:22.1
- Ferrari 550 (race-prepped, Hoosier slicks) = 1:24.2
- STi (race-prepped, Hoosier slicks) = 1:24.8
- Elise (R-spec tyres, not surew what else) = 1:29.8
- MX5 (road tyres, but with suspension mods and e/i mods) = 1:35.8

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
yeah it was been a Very great day for me too. And thanks for all the Advice given by DavidM ;) Tought me alot :)

It's a pity i couldn't attend the BBQ because of my Parent is leaving and i'm dead tired now.

But some correction:

Owen have an APS exhaust, but he getting hold with his car now. So he'll improve more on the next Track Day ;)

Plus Iggy :) Very close on beating Daniel there ;) Is that your Final run Time? :)

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
293 Posts
Heya, that was great fun! It was great to see around 10 350Zs (if not more?) at the track, with 6 participants. I think the Alfa Club organisers were very impressed with the cars AND the support we received.

Anyway, I posted my best time in session 2 I think, or may be 3. either way, after the 3 sessions I started running out of grip in my tyres. They were overheating in the last 2 sessions and getting very slippery, and the harder I pushed through the corners (speed wise) the more I had to wash off because of under or oversteer. But still... for a first time at Sandwon and a first time in the Z (and a rear wheel drive car!) on the track, I think 1.33.86 is good :)

I really want R-spec tyres tho!

I also want to say a big thank you to Daniel again for the great BBQ and the AWESOME proj/screet combo! ;) It was great watching the footage on such a big screen! :)

Speaking of footage, it is finally available for download (12.9Mb) - here!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
VERY impressive with all the runs.... I really wish I was down on the track with you guys... never had chance to time my lap time (newbie) and would really like to enjoy driving with all of you guys!!!

Yun, that is a VERY good time man.... good on ya... and I am sure you should be able to get quicker than that because you gotta feel **** hot in your cabin... and under that condition, you can do that result... I am sure it will be better next time when the window is fixed!

And my pleasure meeting Daniel and Owen yesterday! You guys are great!!!

will catch you guys later soon again!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeap great day, even if i was just watching

great to put a face to the names, Iggs, Gary, Dan, the Davids

just couldnt get enough of Gary's Fuji exhaust, im counting the hours now till mine arrives

scored a quick blat in richies car, can definitely feel the extra pull in the mid-high revs

just couldnt believe the times DavidM was putting down, guy's a gun

and David's TT down the straight :OMG:

·
Registered
125 Posts
aww **** yeah!! I had an awesome time at sandown. a definate must again. not a bad time i must say for myself but i figured as much though you guys would come out on top. **** corners! oh well, some terrific advice from the whole lot of you, especially the davids, yun and danny boy. the corners are a tricky one, but ill conquer it soon enough. we must go back again one day. im an adrenalin junkie..hehe!

also great to meet up with guys from the forums. richie and desmond, didnt get to say hello to sam, but dude, your sound system is awesome! now thats seriously ICE!

and a special thanks to gary, thanks for taking some footage. and yun, if you dont mind thanking your girlfriend for me, she did a great job as well.

footage to come as soon as i get myself a video capture card.

cheers
Owen.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it was been a Very great day for me too. And thanks for all the Advice given by DavidM ;) Tought me alot.

My pleasure ... it was great to see you improve that much and set, what is possibly the local record for an N/A 350Z on road tyres. Just goes to show that all that practice you've put in at DECA is paying off ;-) IMHO, 1:31.45 is only about 2sec (or so) from what the limit of what the car is capable of.

Owen have an APS exhaust, but he getting hold with his car now. So he'll improve more on the next Track Day ;)

OK, fixed in the original post now. That explains why everyone's car sounded different ... looks like everyone there was running some different exhaust/intake set-up.

They were overheating in the last 2 sessions and getting very slippery, and the harder I pushed through the corners (speed wise) the more I had to wash off because of under or oversteer.

When I tracked my road tyres, and in the later sessions, I used to take the 1st flying lap at 8/10th, then next at 9/10th and 3rd at 10/10th. That way your tyres were good for grip on the 3rd lap, and the 1st two laps served to get me into the rhyth. Or 2 flyers, one slower one and one more flyer did the trick as well.

Speaking of footage, it is finally available for download (12.9Mb)

Hey Iggy, can you post a clip that's a bit bigger? The one up right now is about the size of a display on a watch and I'd love to study it in detail ... need something in 320x240 size at least ;-)

Also, got anymore clips?

But still... for a first time at Sandwon and a first time in the Z (and a rear wheel drive car!) on the track, I think 1.33.86 is good

That's about 1sec quicker than I estimated for anyone ... to be in 1:33s is very good even if you before you consider thatwas you 1st time there.

just couldnt believe the times DavidM was putting down, guy's a gun

Thanks Sam ... I did manage to set my PB on the 2nd last lap of the day :) Also sorry that we didn't get a chance to chat some more ... I'm sure we'll catch up again properly when I'm not distracted by the track-action ;-)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot figure out how to use this **** Premier software!!! GRR. I am going to burn it onto a CD and give it to David to work on it.

Why not just use the Windows MovieMaker? It'll do all the basic stuff, but much easier to use.

ps. Here's a pic from Sandown ... not the best, bt it's got 3 Zeds in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Finally getttin' around to writing - been busy cleaning up the house and kickin out the last of the naked dancin' girls.

Yeah, was an awesome day. I was very happy with my times. Unfortunately the touring brakes are really not up to track work. Also the tyres were a bit slippy in some sessions (Yun called my car "the untamed beast" because of all the slip slidin' I was doin'). DavidM as usual set the pace - YOU DA MAN!!! :irock: It's a good thing he's such a nice guy or else you would want to kick his ass for bein so **** goooooood. Was great to meet a few others too. Owen, Iggs, Sam, Desmond, Richie .. um ..and all the others that were there. Was awesome that we had such a big group there.

Yun was kickin ass as the day went on (Damnit!) Seriously good work dude. Also DavidC got the feel for the corners in the afternoon and was slashing seconds off - will be great to see some more of that - so much potential for a car that flies by you on the straits like you're sittin still. DavidM paid me $50 to try to hold DavidC up so he could get a gap but the blue flame blasted past me at 900kph about 50 metres onto the first strait!!! Owen had a great 1st time out - I recon next time he'll be pushin the rest of us. And commiserations to Iggs - only a few tiny thousandths!!!!!!!! :nana: Oooops... I better be nice until I get a copy of the awesome video of my self doin a few laps (whose car was that from??? And why was the footage from behind???? :rolf2: :rolf2: :rolf2: :rolf2: ) Seriously, Iggy is a top guy and a great driver- (even my mother-in-law said so - that he's a nice guy not a great driver - she said you drive too fast - it's not safe).

I don't recon I can get much better times out of my car at Sandown the way it is set up. Touring brakes are great for touring but not on the track. I had huge fade on one of my first few laps at the end of the main strait - I would have **** my pants but my ******* was puckered up too tight. I did survive in case you were wondering. The brakes were great on the next session but I never had the confidence to late-brake. They really started fading again as the day went on and then totally overheated on the very last lap and now I've got some weird drippy stuff coming out of the back of whats left of the pads. Will definately have to upgrade to front racing pads as well before goin out again. I used to think the 040's weren't too bad. Maybe I just had a really good set to start off with. But the set I've got now are soooooooo slippery. I felt like I was in a drift comp. But it's good in a way to gauge a totally stock touring model with so many variations of other models and mods that were out there. Also is interesting to see that the auto gearbox is possibly just as fast if not faster than the manual at Sandown.

Anyway, was a totally awesome day with a great relaxing finish. :cheers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
here are some pics at sandown. only managed to get davidc, daniels and iggys car in the line up. i think davidm and yun were out back cooling thier breaks off. oh well, next time fellas.

car line-up: davids blue thunder, iggy sunset orange and daniels silver bullet, shot of my sunset orange and a picture of sandwon track.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like a great day, I'm surprised how quicly Yun has improved.

Yun, did you have your rear wing installed on that day? Did it make any difference to your exit speeds?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Finally I've have had time to get to check the forum out bl##dy work. Anyway congrats to very one for putting on a great display of Zed power to all the competitors taking part, I heard a couple of comments "gee those 350's are pretty quick, quicker than I excepted". I did much better than I hoped on the day especially after the first session where I was slower than Daniel by 2 seconds, so getting a 1.29 on my third session was pretty awesome in my books having only been to the track a year ago. In my last session I started experiencing gear shifting problems when shifting into 3rd (2003 gearbox synchro problem, Ouch!) which dropped me down to a 1.31 time which put a damper on the day. All in all I had a great day except for the gear problems which by the way I was told by Nissan Australia today that they have decline to fix/replace it due to two extra air dyers attach to the motor, which is crap, this is a synchromesh problem nothing to do with breaking gears or shafts due to the extra power, aaahhhh Nissan can get fu##ed I will NEVER buy another new Nissan ever, had to get that off my chest.
Thanks to DavidM for the advice, maybe if I keep practicing I'll get closer or maybe faster than his times, I know the car is good for much quicker times I'm the limiting factor. Thanks Daniel for the great meal at his place and the motivation to go quicker thanks mate, it was good to catch up with you all again.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds like a great day, I'm surprised how quicly Yun has improved.

Yun, did you have your rear wing installed on that day? Did it make any difference to your exit speeds?

Hi nuff' yes it was installed on that day.

Making difference? I don't know. the only thing i notice is that the car is more stable, Less under and over. If i went in too hot the whole car just slide or Little under on some cornering.

But this impression is from Winton compare to Sandown track. My first Sandown track i can't compare because we not allowed to time ourselves and i don't push it too hard (FEAR). :)

BUt at least i learned something after all the DECA and Track work. That the car can Handle the throw you put on it, and it's a Very stable car. So far i did Two Power Over Drift (power slide) :p on the last corner hehhehe.

Cheers

Would like to do it again :)

Anyone for Winton? lol But i don't even think i can go for winton on 30th October (i think) anyway :(

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
bummer to hear about the 'box David, but in all fairness u cant get angry at Nissan for not honoring your warranty with that level of engine mods, especially when your stressing the box with twice as much power. If u threw a rod you wouldnt blame Nissan

Its not a warranty problem specific to Nissan, no car manufacturer will honor a warranty with those mods

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, the official times have been released. Slight revision on the times:
- me, 350Z Track Manual (with RE55s, Hi-tech exhaust , springs) = 1:28.65
- DavidC, 350Z Track Manual (with TT, RA-1s, Springs/shocks/sways) = 1:29.37
- Yun, 350Z Track Manual (with exhaust, and coilovers) = 1:31.45
- Daniel, 350Z Touring Auto (stock) = 1:33.71
- Iggy, 350Z Track Manual (with Hi-tech exhaust) = 1:33.86
- Owen, 350Z Track Manual (with APS exhaust) = 1:40.57

Others:
- Mitsubishi GTO (race-prepped, R-spec tyres) = 1:19.97
- Ferrari 550 (race-prepped, Hoosier slicks) = 1:24.04
- STi (race-prepped, Hoosier slicks) = 1:24.25
- S14 200SX (race-prepped, R-spec tyres) = 1:25.32
- Elise (R-spec tyres, not sure what else) = 1:29.42
- MX5 (road tyres, but with suspension mods and e/i mods) = 1:35.84

I clocked the 13th quickest time of the day, DavidC 14th, Yun 22nd, Daniel 26th, Iggy 27th, and Owe 51st. All up 74 cars there.

Here's also a quick recap of a lap from my point of view (the best speeds that I've seen):
- Main straight = 208kph
- Little straight after the 1st turn = ~140kph (ie. limiter in 3rd)
- Back straight = 210kph
- Left hand sweeper of the back straight = 158kph
- The short straight before the right/left onto the straight = ~145kph (ie. early 4th gear)

ps.
One thing that I forgot to mention to everyone at Sandown while we were there. The line through the last right/left coming onto the main straight is really important. A lot of time is to be made up here if you get a really good exit onto the main straight. It's important to sacrifice the speed throrgh the right hander just to get an optimum line for ther left hander.

Unfortunately the touring brakes are really not up to track work.

Different pads that can handle the tarck work might make all the difference. Get RB74s like Yun's got for next track day. If you're still having problems after that then there's not much more you can do bar replace the brakes/calipers. btw, are you running dot5.1 brake fluid? If not, then that's where some of the fade could be coming from.

I don't recon I can get much better times out of my car at Sandown the way it is set up.

I'd say that you could still slash a few seconds off ... it's amazing what difference a bit of experience makes. And coming to the same track more than once counts for a lot as well.

Yeah that was a good idea. Here is a 320x240 video, with my chasing an arse-flapping 350Z Touring.

Excellent ... that is much better. I'll spend some time looking it over and see if there's anything to be learnt.

Got any more clips?

This is just a quess, but I would think that he'd be less likely to oversteer in the high speed corners ... like the sweeper of the back straight.

I can't see it making any difference on power down as the wing can't generate any real downforce at those speeds (ie. bellow 100kph).

Thanks to DavidM for the advice, maybe if I keep practicing I'll get closer or maybe faster than his times, I know the car is good for much quicker times I'm the limiting factor.

I have no doubt that with a couple more outings you'll be quicker than me. As I mentioned to you on Sunday - I'd say that you'r car is a 1:23sec car at Sandown. So I don't think getting into 1:26s should be too much of aproblem for you with a bit of practice. I can't see myself getting any quicker than 1:27s (and that's still wishfull thinking for me at the moment).

Also glad that I could be of some help in extracting those 1:29s ;-)

At Winton I stand a better chance of keeping you b ehind in the future as there're a lot more corners and much shorter straights.

anyone got any idea how i can upload footage?? ive just got a sample ready for everyones viewing pleasure.

You need to host it somewhere, and then provide a link here. What size is the file? Maybe Iggy can help you out if you're stuck?

Anyone for Winton? lol But i don't even think i can go for winton on 30th October (i think) anyway :(

My plan is to go to the Phillip Island on the 11th of December with the Alfa club, and DECA with the Skyline club before that (19th of November). There's also a Winton day with the Honda club in November and that is usualy a great day as there are not many cars and you can take passengers all day long. The only pain is that they don't provide timing so at best ytou get stop-watched times.

·
Registered
293 Posts
re video: I can host about 10-15Mb of video on my server, PM me if you need some space and I'll set up an account for ya :)

David, I've got more clips, but the one I uploaded is my best I think... the others are not as interesting. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts