Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:welcome: Actually I boost 8.5psi, How much psi can boost on the Greddy TT with the stock engine, without blow it off? Pls give me your comments, need help!!

Performance:
Greddy Twin Turbo Kit
440cc injectors
Greddy Evo 2 Exhaust
Denso Fuel Pump
HKS SSBOV
Pro Iridium Greddy spark plugs
Defi Bf EGT, Boost, Oil Pres
Volk 19" SF Challenge
Blitz Dual Selenoide Boost Controller
Greddy Turbo Timer

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well I was boosting 9.5 and now my car sits because a connecting rod shot through my block. So just my personal advice...don't boost up the kit without getting a Greddy E01. Cause i was using the profec bspec 2. If i was using the E01 i could have tuned my emanage so that i didn't run rich. Just what i happened to experience. Now im in the process of getting a new engine and starting the build on it...until its done im going through withdraw :cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would only boost 1psi more than the kit comes, it is designed with the engines factory limits in mind and are just below that. Until you build you internals I wouldnt push the motor any harder than the kit already does. Just my 2 cents and my first post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not boost that will damage your motor but horsepower. Right now there is no magic hp number. Of course lower is better as far as safety is concerned.

Motors have let loose with as little as 350rwhp and some have run close to 500rwhp with stock internals and been beaten hard with no damage at all.

It appears to be tuning based but some have claimed their's was "tuned" and it still was damaged.

Anyway the stock fuel pump can only support 360ish rwhp before it must be upgraded. At that point you need to address timing anyway. For a out of the box kit 5.6psi is all you want to run due to the fuel limit. If you are running above that without a timing fix I would stop and wait until you have one.

If you read enough you can sort the fact from fiction and make a choice for yourself.
Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
This question is difficult to answer. Like 7Eleven mentioned, engines have let go anywhere from stock boost and 330whp all the way up to 9psi and 430whp. So who really can say for sure.

I will tell you that if you turn up the boost, and you fail to tune for it, your engine will blow up right away beyond 7psi or so.....sooner rather than later.

If tuned for the higher boost, timing address, fuel system addressed...etc.....I would set the limit at 9psi. I have run my car on the track at 10psi without any issues...maybe I have a strong motor...maybe... :)

On the street, I run 8.5psi and 416whp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ahhh . . . I see gq finally migrated to this site :D

Back to the subject: (Steps)

1. Upgrade your fuel system (larger pump, afpr, return style)
2. Address timing via timing harness, reflash, etc
3. Forged Pistons & Rods; overboring is a good idea to ensure fit.
4. (Optional--but good) ARP head & main studs while the engine is open
5. Clutch (varies--could be step 1 or 5)

There's another "theory" involving a slight modification, but nothing proven . . . but if you follow the above steps, you will REDUCE the probability of throwing a rod. IMHO, I would address all of them at once and if its not feasible, I would stick with the stock Greddy mapping until it is--I am. Unfortunately, this car wasn't turboed from the factory and there's always something new that we find out. With that in mind, expect delays, new problems, and a little headache. Mash on the throttle a few times and you'll see why you did it all!

G

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would recommend leaving it at stock boost until you get forged internals....my real recommendation (i wish i had done it this way) would be do the motot building at theh same time you initially install the twin turbos...
my car is sitting in my garage right now, with a hole in the block...awaiting parts for my rebuild, i'll be back feb05 with 550rwhp...with much more safety and confidence of going WOT!
TODD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My peak boost on the last time is 9.11 psi (0.62Bar) with the greddy iridium spark plugs, but after I ran many times with the greddy spark plugs, the spark plugs was damaged and i replace it with the stock spark plugs again until my order of spark plugs came. And the stock spark plugs only peak boost on 8.5 psi.

I was ran many times with 9.1 psi and is without any problem and my 350z is ok. I will boost more after make forged engine and another upgrades like: fuel system, etc...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your spark plugs should have nothing to do with your boost pressure achieved. Also keep in mind that you might generate slighly different boost in each gear.

Have you done additional mods and timing retard while running that much boost? I hope so. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by ghlisa@Dec 28 2004, 03:19 PM
My peak boost on the last time is 9.11 psi (0.62Bar) with the greddy iridium spark plugs, but after I ran many times with the greddy spark plugs, the spark plugs was damaged and i replace it with the stock spark plugs again until my order of spark plugs came.  And the stock spark plugs only peak boost on 8.5 psi.   

I was ran many times with 9.1 psi and is without any problem and my 350z is ok.    I will boost more after make forged engine and another upgrades like: fuel system, etc...

The plug damage was probably detination knocking the porcelin off the plug or pushing the gap closed. 9.1 psi is possible on a stock bottom end with good tuning and 100 octane as phunk has shown us. But I don't know what resources are in Panama for this.

Could you give more info on your setup and what fuel your running. I feel that your running close if not over the edge based on your post.
Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by 7 eleven+Dec 28 2004, 04:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ghlisa
@Dec 28 2004, 03:19 PM
My peak boost on the last time is 9.11 psi (0.62Bar) with the greddy iridium spark plugs, but after I ran many times with the greddy spark plugs, the spark plugs was damaged and i replace it with the stock spark plugs again until my order of spark plugs came.  And the stock spark plugs only peak boost on 8.5 psi.   

I was ran many times with 9.1 psi and is without any problem and my 350z is ok.    I will boost more after make forged engine and another upgrades like: fuel system, etc...

The plug damage was probably detination knocking the porcelin off the plug or pushing the gap closed. 9.1 psi is possible on a stock bottom end with good tuning and 100 octane as phunk has shown us. But I don't know what resources are in Panama for this.

Could you give more info on your setup and what fuel your running. I feel that your running close if not over the edge based on your post.
Thanks,
Gary

7 Eleven, I ran with 93 octane and the mods is all I have in my first post, just I forgot to mention have a piggy back Greddy e-manage. And next week will install the N/X N-tercooler chiller kit and a Kaaz limited rev. differential.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by gq_626@Dec 28 2004, 04:00 PM
Your spark plugs should have nothing to do with your boost pressure achieved.  Also keep in mind that you might generate slighly different boost in each gear.

Have you done additional mods and timing retard while running that much boost?  I hope so. :)

gq_626, just the Greddy intercooler. nothing else more at moment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts