·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm constantly worried about the other side of the road. You never know if someone is asleep at the wheel, having a stroke, grabbing their dropped phone off the floor, or anything else that can get me and my family killed or maimed. I see stories all the time of kids losing their parents to such stupid incidents like this one, or parents losing their kids on a field trip because of an accident.

I can't imagine what I would go through if that happened to me...
I don't know what can be done, but something needs to change.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I was talking with my friends, not too long ago, and I thought something like this may be a good idea. Some of it is kinda stolen from some laws in England, but the basic idea is...

16 - 18 yrs
1. Vehicle must display an easily visible sign/indicator that they are an inexperienced driver.
2. Driver is not allowed to operate a vehicle in excess of, say, 2000cc (or equivelent displacement), or 160HP.
3. All new drivers must learn to drive with a manual transmission.
4. More than 4 points on license results in suspension.

19 - 21 yrs
1. Driver may not operate a vehicle in excess of, say, 3.5L or equivelent.
2. More than 8 points results in suspension

21 - 60 yrs
Same basic rules as now, but require full written and driven test every 10 yrs.

60 - 70 yrs
Same basic rules, but require full written and driven test every 2 yrs, as well as a more extensive eye exam.

70 +
Same as 60 - 70, but all tests taken every year.

Young people need more consequences for irresponsible driving and older, less capable people need to be kept from getting behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I mean, outside of a show car, is there any good reason to have the ability to play a DVD in the front seat of a car!?!?!

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Well if you are on a long trip and the very cranky hubby wanted to watch a movie, to keep him quiet I'd love to be able to pop in a DVD. Not that I would watch it while driving, but I don't watch his silly mindless movies filled w/ drivel (freddy got fingered, dude where's my friggin car, jackass are all up there on his list of favs...)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DVD players just do not belong in a sportscar, period. What's the point? Even if you are driving and not watching, you're still distracted by the passenger and the sound from the movie.

Ched, I like the 'rules' you posted as a template for controlling the situation. I heard AZ gives you a permanent DL, AND you can do it over the net!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Originally posted by Lo Fi Ched@Aug 11 2004, 12:58 PM
I was talking with my friends, not too long ago, and I thought something like this may be a good idea.  Some of it is kinda stolen from some laws in England, but the basic idea is...

16 - 18 yrs
1. Vehicle must display an easily visible sign/indicator that they are an inexperienced driver. 
2. Driver is not allowed to operate a vehicle in excess of, say, 2000cc (or equivelent displacement), or 160HP.
3. All new drivers must learn to drive with a manual transmission.
4. More than 4 points on license results in suspension.

19 - 21 yrs
1. Driver may not operate a vehicle in excess of, say, 3.5L or equivelent.
2. More than 8 points results in suspension

21 - 60 yrs
Same basic rules as now, but require full written and driven test every 10 yrs.

60 - 70 yrs
Same basic rules, but require full written and driven test every 2 yrs, as well as a more extensive eye exam.

70 +
Same as 60 - 70, but all tests taken every year.

Young people need more consequences for irresponsible driving and older, less capable people need to be kept from getting behind the wheel.

I can't agree with most of this.

Can't drive anything over 3.5L? Yea, well, if we didn't live in SUV country, that might be possible. We're not European...

2000cc and below? Not everyone likes Hondas or Scions and people will always have the right to buy the car they want. Some people can't afford a new car (or used compact import) and have an 80s american sedan that's 5 liters.

Required to learn manual? I do think people should learn manual just to know, but not everyone can learn manual. One of my friends still doesn't know how to drive manual and he practiced with this GTi for years. He quit and got a Jeep Liberty. I think that automatics would be good for the people that you can't stop from using the cell phone because they would probably cause more accidents with stick + food + cell phone instead of just food + cell phone (it is possible to drive stick and do all of that, but it's just harder and more distracting).

Having a sign that says inexperienced driver? I know people in their late 20s early 30s that are more immature than teenagers. Percentage wise, it is harder to find an immature adult than a mature teen. Also, "inexperienced" refers to years driven and not age (at least I read your statement as that). I don't know if you knew this, but there are people who still don't have their drivers licenses and are in their 30s. I think you should've said that for any newly issued license they'd have to put the sign up, which I agree with. There are a lot of new old aged foreigners that aren't used to the laws here that also should fall into that category.

Besides the sign in the window, the only other thing I agree with is changing the number of points for suspensions based on age. That's a good idea and should already have been placed.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a good point. I didn't think about that. Still steaming about the old guy...

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Actually the sign is not "inexperienced driver" it is a big red "L" that you are required to put in the back window of your car. I think that is an EXCELLENT idea for new drivers, they have to have it in there for 2 years after getting their license in England. Maybe one year here would be good. Ever come up on a person who is driving slow and you are like geez I wish that person would go faster. Maybe it's a kid w/ their mom or dad learning to drive on a learners permit--I'd like to be informed of that instead of being frustrated and thinking they are just jag-offs. Also one thing I think would be good in my opinion, all states should bump up the driving age to 18. Kids who are 16 just aren't mature enough to be out on the road, I know, I was one of them. I wrecked my mom's truck 3 times (officially that she knew of, I also ran outta gas, into ditches, joyrode w/ my friends standing up in the bed and slammed on brakes to have one of them tumble over the top of the truck and land on the pavement in front of me, I just did stupid stuff).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Try taking an old person's DL away. They ain't havin' it! Even when necessary. My Grandma used to 'sneak' out in the Volvo...till she got so bad she scared herself...& brutha lemme tell ya she was ba-ad...8 or 10 'secret' deals with her body man the last year (2002) she drove.

remember the Santa Barbara farmer's market!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Can't drive anything over 3.5L? Yea, well, if we didn't live in SUV country, that might be possible. We're not European...
The point on this one is to limit what an inexperienced driver can drive. I know when I was learning, the more power I had, the faster I went. At that age I had no business going the speeds I did.

2000cc and below? Not everyone likes Hondas or Scions and people will always have the right to buy the car they want. Some people can't afford a new car (or used compact import) and have an 80s american sedan that's 5 liters.
Again, too much power for a beginner. I had an '84 POS celica, it think it had a 1.4L and I still almost tree-ed it.

Required to learn manual? I do think people should learn manual just to know, but not everyone can learn manual. One of my friends still doesn't know how to drive manual and he practiced with this GTi for years. He quit and got a Jeep Liberty. I think that automatics would be good for the people that you can't stop from using the cell phone because they would probably cause more accidents with stick + food + cell phone instead of just food + cell phone (it is possible to drive stick and do all of that, but it's just harder and more distracting).
I just think everyone should have to know it in case there is an emergency of some sort where the only car(s) around are manual. It may never happen, but it could.

Having a sign that says inexperienced driver? I know people in their late 20s early 30s that are more immature than teenagers. Percentage wise, it is harder to find an immature adult than a mature teen. Also, "inexperienced" refers to years driven and not age (at least I read your statement as that). I don't know if you knew this, but there are people who still don't have their drivers licenses and are in their 30s. I think you should've said that for any newly issued license they'd have to put the sign up, which I agree with. There are a lot of new old aged foreigners that aren't used to the laws here that also should fall into that category.
I see your point on this one. Agreed, have it for any beginner.

Besides the sign in the window, the only other thing I agree with is changing the number of points for suspensions based on age. That's a good idea and should already have been placed.
On this one...uh well, thanks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Originally posted by lionkiller@Aug 11 2004, 05:49 PM
Try taking an old person's DL away.  They ain't havin' it!  Even when necessary.  My Grandma used to 'sneak' out in the Volvo...till she got so bad she scared herself...& brutha lemme tell ya she was ba-ad...8 or 10 'secret' deals with her body man the last year (2002) she drove.

remember the Santa Barbara farmer's market!

Ain't that the truth.

·
Registered
806 Posts
[/quote]

That's really f'd up. They should force elderly to only drive manual transmissions. You can't accidentally put it into reverse if the gearbox has the push-down feature (hard to explain on the computer, but the Z has it). Plus, the car will stall if you f up too much. Only solution I see if the States won't put in an annual driving test.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
It says she stepped on the wrong pedal, not put it in the wrong gear. Since all of this sh!t happens in Florida, I think they should pass a state law requiring all cars to wear rubber rings around the cars, like bumper cars.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I don't get is the door was open, the car must have been on, and she puts her foot on a pedal to make the car do what it did. What happened? If it was in gear, why wasn't it rolling already while she was getting in? Why was the door open? What was she doing putting it into gear with the door open and putting her foot on a pedal? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts