Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was big RX8 meet about a week or tweo ago and they also went to Wakefield. I thought some people here would be interested in the times that they managed (best times):

- Class A - novice drivers in stock cars = 1:16.78
- Class B - experienced drivers in stock cars = 1:14.13
- Class C - experienced drivers in modified cars = 1:14.86

Quickest RX8 managed 1:13.02, and that was a Turbo RX8 R-spec tyres.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow that is interesting......those things are dead slow! I wonder why they had such a hard time, I thought they were a bit lighter than a 350z?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wow that is interesting......those things are dead slow! I wonder why they had such a hard time, I thought they were a bit lighter than a 350z?

I hope no Other RX8 owner Reading this lol.

We'll gonna get flame by them by your Comment lol.

But anyway i don't know what is the Quickest for 350Z on that track, so i can't really tell.

Maybe next time i should take my Dad's RX8 and tested it on the track at overseas :p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What times do you run David in your car?

I have never been to Wakefield (or any other NSW tracks), so I can't comment from experience. Though, at Sandown I run about 3sec quicker than the ClassB winner.

Would love to try Wakefield one day as it looks like an awesome track, and with plenty of space (ie. run offs).

ps. Motor mag (with a pro driver behind the wheel) managed 1:12.68 there in a 100% stock RX8 during the '03 BFYB. Goes to show you how much further did the RX8 guys still had to go.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
There's a guy at work who has an RX-8. After showing him this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...11702&q=skyline

he checked the excuse gauge and came back with, "but those cars are turbo, my car's only 1.3L" etc....

The RX-8 is not a quick car, unless you're a quick driver. Its nicely balanced and the engine is free, but lacks the midrange punch to permit your less-than-awesome driver to "slow in, fast out".

If you can find the car's sweet spot and pitch it in to corners and use the weight transfer, while keeping the engine on the boil, the fact that a pro driver can set about the same time around Wakefield in the RX-8 and 350Z shows that its not a particularly slow car either.

David - if you ever come up to Sydney give us a holler. We can always go to Wakefield - its a fun track and the lack of walls gives you the confidence to push and push.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"but those cars are turbo, my car's only 1.3L"

Tell him it's not 1.3L as in the same sence as a conventional pison engine. (If I remember correctly) the common method of relating the rotary engine capacity to piston engines is to double it's capacity. By that the RX8's engine is comparable to a piston N/A engine if 2.6L capacity.

The RX-8 is not a quick car, unless you're a quick driver. Its nicely balanced and the engine is free, but lacks the midrange punch to permit your less-than-awesome driver to "slow in, fast out".

From my experience it just does not have enough grunt to be really competitive on the track. Though as you said, it is very well balanced car and has got enough power to be quick in the right hands.

David - if you ever come up to Sydney give us a holler. We can always go to Wakefield - its a fun track and the lack of walls gives you the confidence to push and push.

You know, I would love to one day ... I just can't see myself driving that far. Would love to fly up there and have my car waiting there for me :)

ps. 100% stock Boxster S (the new model) managed sub 1:10 time at Wakefield in hands of Warren Luff. That was still on road tyres.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Well, if you ever come up to Sydney for a holiday it'd be worth bringing the car.

You could take the less-boring way up (via the Alpine roads), and then sample the tracks up here and try some of the roads (like Putty, or the Old Pacific).

I might be coming down to Melbourne in February, and I wouldn't think about doing it without my car.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if you ever come up to Sydney for a holiday it'd be worth bringing the car.

Last time I did that was good 10 years ago ... though, I don't think I've been to Sydney since. I usualy end up going further North (well, much further), and always fly up.

I wonder if it's feasable to fly up to Sydney and have the car transported there ... that would make it feasable to bring my spare wheels/tyres for the track. One day I'll have to look into it.

I might be coming down to Melbourne in February, and I wouldn't think about doing it without my car.

That's be great ... maybe you'll want to come the track with us here. February is just about when the club track sprints start for the new year. Any idea how long you might be down here for?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
That will depend on how much there is to do. ;-) I'm not taking any leave over Christmas this year, so I should have a good chance of getting a week or two afterwards (and having it approved).

I definitely want a crack at the Island. I wouldn't mind a go at Sandown either, since you guys always talk about it.

I've also got to go down GOR again (a must any time I'm in Melbourne) and maybe a couple of the other good street routes around Victoria, which I wouldn't mind being shown.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts