Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on bulletproofautomotive.com, it comes in Black or Chrome.

Its some sort of chasis reinforcement bar, though it seems to close the storage area semi permanently?

I wonder if this mod would give any noticeable benefits? The Zed does have a very rigid chassis already. And at US$741.00 its nearly the same price as the roll cages, but if the roll cage is illegal here in Au then this might be an alternate for those looking for added chasis reinforcement. Obviously it wouldnt help you if you had a crash though.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Chassis is already pretty stiff - the whole rear is all steel box construction. I would not buy this bar as I cannot see a significant benefit - on the contrary it eliminates the largest storage space in the car!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Roll cages are legal provided it is not a full cage.

Anyway I thought roll cages are only good if you decide to drive on your roof !!!

Are you planing on doing this :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rollcages do help if you roll the car but hey also increase the chassis's rigidity increasing the cars handling ability. It would also allow you to run softer springs as the chassis wouldnt flex and sway as much. The main downside I can see is weight, and wether this would outwieght the benefits for a street car.

And no not planning on rolling the car any time soon ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Could you also use it for mounting racing harnesses?

·
Registered
303 Posts
You only need this of you are racing the car at a competition level.

Normal track days wouldn't see any benefit. Not unless you know a way of getting your Zed on it's roof? :doh:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Zed33 is heavy enough without adding unnecessary weight. I'd add a rollcage AFTER 500rwhp....or if I had a stripped auto-xer.

Remember kids: there are lots of 'mods' out there, so pick 'em with forethought....What's basic: wheels/tires, intake, exh., ground kit; what's bling: CF accents, markers, etc.; 'go-fast' -F.I., bottom end mods.

What I see a LOT of out here (& everywhere) is people who don't think through what they're trying to accomplish with the car, putting good mods after bad, wrong combinations.

Make a list, set a 'goal' (look nice, 500 rwhs, etc) draw up a plan to get there. If you buy mods willy-nilly & slap them on your car 'just beacuse', you won't get the looks or performance you're after.

Keep in mind how much [email protected] there is out there!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by lionkiller@Oct 19 2004, 04:26 PM
Zed33 is heavy enough without adding unnecessary weight.  I'd add a rollcage AFTER 500rwhp....or if I had a stripped auto-xer.

Remember kids:  there are lots of 'mods' out there, so pick 'em with forethought....What's basic:  wheels/tires, intake, exh., ground kit; what's bling: CF accents, markers, etc.; 'go-fast' -F.I., bottom end mods.

What I see a LOT of out here (& everywhere) is people who don't think through what they're trying to accomplish with the car, putting good mods after bad, wrong combinations.

Make a list, set a 'goal'  (look nice, 500 rwhs, etc) draw up a plan to get there.  If you buy mods willy-nilly & slap them on your car 'just beacuse', you won't get the looks or performance you're after.

Keep in mind how much [email protected] there is out there!

A Twin Turbo kit adds weight to the car as well, did you dismiss it as easily as you have here without determining wether or not the gains outweigh the losses.

The Zed is heavy but if a modification has real performance benefits that outweigh any downsides, then the mod is worth considering. Sway bars are another more relevant example, they are heavier than the stock ones but the increased cornering speeds outweigh the fact that they weight more. So weight alone isnt enough to dismiss a modification.

Its also worth noting that this isnt a roll cage.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Didn't mean to hurt any feelings. Thread above indicated an already rigid chassis. I WOULD want one in my civic hatch, had I one...

TT adds HP along with weight, in a favorable ratio. Back brace gives a 'racer look'...but may be unnecessary without aforementioned TTkit...where high hp would induce chassis flex. See the Cusco strut brace thread....where it's noted that the 'mod' didn't enhance preformance noticably, but did 'look nice in my engine bay' (paraphrased)

One of the sway bar kits on the mkt is more rigid than stock, but hollow, so you can actually lose weight & improve handling...I'm down with that.

Peace all.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No feelings hurt here, dont mind Frosty hes just a bit sensitive.

I dont think most would consider this a mod for achieving a 'racer look', the black version would most likely go unnoticed and the price tag is a bit high for such a modification.

I agree that if this mod was created to reduce chassis flex caused by big power then nearly no one would find any benefit from using it.

Also if you are referring to the Hotchkis sways these are the weights of the stock vs Hotchkis.

Stock Sways - (Rear 4 lbs. Front 10.5 lbs )
Hotckis Sways - (Rear 5.5lbs, Front 13.5lbs)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I forget which sways.......Hmm....

If I leave off the crisps a day or two, the Hotchkis'll be o.k.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I was reading the Hotchkis ad in my Jeg's catalog....which plainly states "..reduced unsprung weight..." HOWEVER, I must note that Jeg's caters to old school hot rodders (like me), so probably applies to Chevy, Ford, & the like....

4.5 lb more on the Z33....ohwell...

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
As others have said, I don't think I'd bother on a street car.

The chassis is rigid enough as-is, and if you wanted to strengthen it up I'd consider aftermarket strut braces over this. Alternatively, I'd consider a brace that went behind the bulkhead instead of in front of it. That way it doesn't interfere with the storage bins, and the boot space you lose is minimal.

Or, even better, on top of it.

In the end, though, given how rigid the Z33 is I'd rather spend the money on something else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts